Gibson Brands Forums

OMG OMG MUSOS CORNER IS HAVING A 90% OFF SALE!

FenderGuy1

Now i can get either a Gibson or Fender!!!!! AHHH IM SOO EXCITED!

Ya know, there is much, much more out there than those two brands.

The best Strats n' Teles made these days are either from G&L (Leo Fender's third and final guitar venture. We all know his first, and his second was Music Man, which was bought by Ernie Ball in the 80s) or Bill Nash (builds/assembles relic guitars somewhere on the West Coast of USA). Fender's US guitars these days cease to amaze me. Gibson's US and CS line still amazes me, but there is some dogs. My SG isn't the best instrument I have played. But it's my main guitar and has a lot of sentimental value. My MIM Strat and my Gretsch Electromatic (I call it Mal and I think most will understand why....) both blow that SG away, even though they're weightier instruments, but I think heavier guitars are better anyways. It boggles me when people say that lighter is better. Light doesn't produce sustain. Light doesn't chunk. One of my favorite solos is Ace Frehley's solo when KISS played Budokan in 1977 on the Rock And Roll Over Tour in Tokyo, Japan (which was the inspiration for the Budokan Les Paul. That is a stupid name. That guitar is the No Dickheads guitar. That was a sticker that Ace had on the pickguard on that guitar during the late 80s/early 90s. But I understand the fact that that name is inappropriate, so they just could have called it the Ace Frehley Tribute Les Paul. Or, if it were my way, the Awk Les Paul...), which was actually played on a 76' tobacco sunburst Standard with two pickups (that is not his tobacco burst LP he used in the earlier years. That guitar is a highly modified 73' Deluxe that he bought, along with a 100 watt Marshall to replace his 50-watter he had been using, when KISS scored their deal with Casablanca.), which was his "smoker' used for Cold Gin and the solo. He got a wailing sustain, and most of that is from his vibrato and the fact that both Ace and KISS are super loud (Todd Youth, Ace's current rhythm guitar player, who played in Motorhead for a while when Phil Campbell's mother passed on and he couldn't make it, said that Ace is louder than Lemmy and Motorhead. Amazing.), but I'm sure that Les Paul weighed a ton, given it's year. Sustain comes from weight.

Sorry from straying off the topic.....

I think that you'd have to camp out on the doorstep all night to get anything that's on sale and even then the limit probably would be one sale item to a customer.The Custom Shop Tele for only $499 and the Class 5 head at $99 would be my choices and there`s also a Kuston 72 amp there for and incredibly low price-they`re funky amps.There`s also a Blacktop Tele for $99.People may even be lining up 2 days ahead,I know that there were mopes here who lined up for 2 days to see the last installment of the Harry Potter movies and they were "adults".

A lot of stores will limit their sale items and then have a lot of other similar items marked up way above the MSRP and negate their losses by making bundles on the other products.This is a variation of the bait and switch scheme that is deemed illegal in most jurisdictions.

Fender's US guitars these days cease to amaze me. Gibson's US and CS line still amazes me, but there is some dogs.

Really? I find Fender US quality to be very consistent, while I have to swim through a river of turds to find a perfect Gibson.

I think that you'd have to camp out on the doorstep all night to get anything that's on sale and even then the limit probably would be one sale item to a customer.The Custom Shop Tele for only $499 and the Class 5 head at $99 would be my choices and there`s also a Kuston 72 amp there for and incredibly low price-they`re funky amps.There`s also a Blacktop Tele for $99.People may even be lining up 2 days ahead,I know that there were mopes here who lined up for 2 days to see the last installment of the Harry Potter movies and they were "adults".

A lot of stores will limit their sale items and then have a lot of other similar items marked up way above the MSRP and negate their losses by making bundles on the other products.This is a variation of the bait and switch scheme that is deemed illegal in most jurisdictions.

I'd get the CS Tele. I have just that amount on me in cash now.

This has been my experience also. But I sure do like the "good ones" I have found.

Really? I find Fender US quality to be very consistent, while I have to swim through a river of turds to find a perfect Gibson.

I'd get the CS Tele. I have just that amount on me in cash now.

Whoever is first in line (expect there to be arguing/fighting/cheating) and can make a bee line for either the Tele or to the cash register (if you're there and say I want it, and someone else grabs it, who gets to buy it?) wins. and expect multiple days in line. This is what's called a "door buster" in the 'States, and that's because the people will nearly tear the doors off the hinges to get at those very few fantastic deals.

FG1, if you're able to score any of these, that's great, but be aware you'll have hoards of competition. I'd scout the store first, find out where they keep the Tele, ask the manager if it's first to grab it, or first to the register, or first to hail a Sales person (maybe at the door if first in, "I want that Custom Shop Tele"), or who gets it. You'll want to have a back up plan for 2nd, 3rd and 4th choices if determined to come away with something at a great deal.

Bottom line, don't get your hopes up too high (so as not to be too disappointed if it doesn't work out), and start thinking of other ways than "nearly free" to get the guitar you want (not sure if you're old enough for a Summer job yet or not, but if you are, as soon as (better yet, just before) school lets out, work on finding one.

I knew a kid on a Forum that at the age of 16, worked his way through flight school working at Wendy's. got his license at 17 (before he could even drive a car, his focus on his pilot certificate was that intense). If he could do that (thousands of US Dollars), you certainly can attain a goal of a guitar with some serious work and saving (have to say though, that Custom Shop Tele would be such a great thing at that price, even if it's a bit shop worn, even if it's ugly...).

ETA: I just noticed this place was in Australia. FG1, I may have been mistaken, I thought you were in the UK. Are you in Oz?

I see that brand snobbery has raised its ugly head yet again. Don't these people realize that they are displaying a total lack of knowledge when it comes to gear to do with guitars etc.?If Fender or other brands were as bad as some these "experts" say,nobody would be buying them yet they all seem to be having record breaking sales figures.To put down other guitar brands or other gear it's like proclaiming " I know nothing about guitars or gear but I thought I'd let everybody know that."

Whoever is first in line (expect there to be arguing/fighting/cheating) and can make a bee line for either the Tele or to the cash register (if you're there and say I want it, and someone else grabs it, who gets to buy it?) wins. and expect multiple days in line. This is what's called a "door buster" in the 'States, and that's because the people will nearly tear the doors off the hinges to get at those very few fantastic deals.

Haha, I'm in the US. I'd be willing to get into a fist fight over it though. The blood spatter on the guitar just adds character. Plus, I love Telecasters.

FG1, if you're able to score any of these, that's great, but be aware you'll have hoards of competition. I'd scout the store first, find out where they keep the Tele, ask the manager if it's first to grab it, or first to the register, or first to hail a Sales person (maybe at the door if first in, "I want that Custom Shop Tele"), or who gets it. You'll want to have a back up plan for 2nd, 3rd and 4th choices if determined to come away with something at a great deal.

Bottom line, don't get your hopes up too high (so as not to be too disappointed if it doesn't work out), and start thinking of other ways than "nearly free" to get the guitar you want (not sure if you're old enough for a Summer job yet or not, but if you are, as soon as (better yet, just before) school lets out, work on finding one.

I knew a kid on a Forum that at the age of 16, worked his way through flight school working at Wendy's. got his license at 17 (before he could even drive a car, his focus on his pilot certificate was that intense). If he could do that (thousands of US Dollars), you certainly can attain a goal of a guitar with some serious work and saving (have to say though, that Custom Shop Tele would be such a great thing at that price, even if it's a bit shop worn, even if it's ugly...).

ETA: I just noticed this place was in Australia. FG1, I may have been mistaken, I thought you were in the UK. Are you in Oz?

YEs i am in Oz

I'm getting the Blacktop tele for $95 so im gonna throw some punches at the other guys that want it!

You're in the ozone.... No company is that kind. All they care about is money.

Do you really think Henry J or the CEO of Fender really cares whether or not one likes their instruments?

The reason for the "resurrection" of Gibson and Fender after those supposed horrid Norlin and CBS days was because of failed models and the big money (I just used a title of a Rush song in general conversation, referring to "The Big Money", from the 1985 release "Power Windows". I suppose you don't know that as you seem to be not much of a Rush guy. Let me ask, what do you think of the R&R Hall Of Fame?), declining sales. The quality has changed, for sure (if ownership changes everything will most likely change. And that just doesn't apply to business. And it ain't about music in that game, it's about business. Gibson and Fender are corporations. They're just as bad as McDonalds. Sometimes, when I see a new Les Paul or Strat, I imagine (and smell) a Big Mac....), but it hasn't gotten better or worse, just different, so to speak. Contrary to what some people think, I feel that the 70s Les Pauls are just as good as any 50s Burst. It all depends on who's running the gas pedal. Les Pauls became in demand again due to, amongst other things I'm sure, Clapton and the Beano album. But we weren't hearing a 1960 Burst into a JTM-45. We were hearing his fingers. If that were a 70s Les Paul (which is obviously not possible due to the timeline difference.....) and a cheaper, less "desirable", amp of the age (like a Sunn), it still would have been great. Just as Ace Frehley's 1978 solo album was played on a 59' Burst (NOT the Custom he used back in the day. I refuse to refer to it as the "Budokan" Les Paul. Just like I really dislike that Gibson called the Don Felder EDS-1275 the "Hotel California" guitar. Ugh!) thru a variety of amps, including Marshalls (probably the Master Volume JMP series amps KISS used back in the day), 60s Vox amps, and of course old Fender amps, including his famous tweed Harvard. But I don't see why that tone isn't as coveted as the Beano tone or the Brown Sound. Most of these guitar "critics" never gave Ace a chance, thanks to the kiddie, circus side of KISS that overdid itself in the later 70s. It's just a nice Les Paul/Marshall sound. Just like the early Alex Lifeson (as in the first Rush album up thru 2112) tone is as good as a 335/Les Paul to a Marshall Super Lead can get. Not to mention he has made some of the best uses of delay and modulation effects (from the phasing on The Necromancer from Caress Of Steel, to the lush chorusing on Distant Early Warning, from Grace Under Pressure). Just as Ace is every bit as valid as EC, Page, or EVH, Alex is every bit as valid in the effects use category as Gilmour (whom I really like) or The Edge (whom I don't care for).

This should teach you something about the truth behind guitar companies, and that if I plugged an upside down Strat into a Marshall with a Fuzz Face, Octavia, Vox Clyde McCoy wah, and a Uni-Vibe, I still wouldn't sound like Hendrix. Don't try to copy. Make your own tone. To think, if EVH was copying his heroes (EC for example) he never would have gotten anywhere.

I'm getting the Blacktop tele for $95 so im gonna throw some punches at the other guys that want it!

Well, as it's one of the only other items that really are 90% off, it will go quickly too. Best be at the head of the line. And WRT throwing punches, not sure how that'd go there, but here it would about guaranty you wouldn't be buying a guitar that day (and would probably spend your money and some more on Lawyers, court fees, etc.).

You got that right T-Bone or he could end up punching the wrong guy and be biting off more than he can chew, ending up with a broken face and broken hands to match.

He could punch the wrong guy and the guy could end up biting off more than he can chew.

mike%20tyson.jpg

Archived