Gibson Brands Forums

Sweet: Yay or Nay?

A add9

Actually, despite being in Nicky Chin and Mike Chapman's "glam pop" stable, they were pretty decent musicians. There's a 1974 live recording from the London Rainbow floating around that shows this.

Anybody ever heard the Macc Lads version of Blockbuster?

Verse:

He'll tell you lies. He'll eat your pies....

Chorus:

You'll never guess his weight. That's his 14th plate.

The fat b******!

The Sweet were a good Pop band with some very catchy tunes but I'd already been introduced to - and was completely hooked by - the music of Jimi Hendrix a couple of years beforehand so was hardly destined to be a massive fan of the Glam-Rock scene.

I did enjoy much of it, though, and the nicely tongue-in-cheek way some bands, such as Mud, wrote and also how they performed. Very entertaining with, in the main, good musicianship. And I did very much like Roy Wood's Wizzard, and Noddy Holder and the lads!

P.

I remember when these came out. There was a lot of discussion about both having the same main riff.

What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgrYf7VWASE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8arYqnp8tRE

I personally prefer Bowie. When I look back, he was so innovative. A musical genius.

As for Mick Ronson......Great. R.I.P.

That's cool, but I was never comparing Bowie, and The Sweet. That would be like comparing the Beatles and the Turtles. All I was doing was asking if anybody liked The Sweet.

As for the two songs sounding alike, you can also add The Yard Birds I'm A Man to the comparison, (a song that came out much earlier than either of the other two). Both the Bowie camp and Sweet camp deny any intentional effort to cop the others riff. The Sweet's Blockbuster charted #1 , and Bowie's Jean Genie charted #2 even though Bowie's song was released a month or so sooner.

Believe me, there are a lot of bands I would choose over The Sweet, and Bowie for that matter.. In my music collection I have both Bowie, and Sweet. No doubt Bowie had the far more accomplished and productive career. it's not even close. We listen to and appreciate the Sweet for what they did at the time.

The Sweet were a good Pop band with some very catchy tunes but I'd already been introduced to - and was completely hooked by - the music of Jimi Hendrix a couple of years beforehand so was hardly destined to be a massive fan of the Glam-Rock scene.

I did enjoy much of it, though, and the nicely tongue-in-cheek way some bands, such as Mud, wrote and also how they performed. Very entertaining with, in the main, good musicianship. And I did very much like Roy Wood's Wizzard, and Noddy Holder and the lads!

P.

Again, it's not a matter of being a massive fan of the Glam Rock scene. Neither am I. I just appreciate any song, whether it be rock, bluegrass, pop, classical, metal, blues, flamenco, etc. that has creative, melodic, energetic power. The Sweet transitioned from Bubble Gum to Glam to Rock, though they are noted as the first really recognized and successful Glam band of the 70's aside from Slade. I like Hendrix too, but that doesn't mean other music wouldn't catch my ear. Besides, If you just listened to The Sweet, and never saw them, you'd never know they were Glam. Right?

P.

AHHH . . happy days. Saw Mud live ( I was 15) the week "Tiger Feet " was at # 1. Wood is an unrecognized genius outside of the UK .... My mother would constantly complain about the sound of Noddy Holder's voice on "Slade Alive' seeping out through my bedoom door. ALLLLLLLLLLLLLL RITE EVERYBODY!

Archived