Gibson Brands Forums

STill Got the Blues

daveinspain

Overall it sounds really nice. very smooth.

As far as your bends, remember when you're bending the stings you are changing the note. So when I do a bend I keep going till I hit the right note, if I go past, I bring it back down abit.

I hope what the hell I just wrote makes sense.

Thanks Bill, yeah I guess I have to slow down my bends and feel them more. I think I try to get to the bend note too quickly. Instead of squeezing it out I rush past it and go sharp. I'm just not hitting the bulls eye...

Hi Dave,

I've been covering this tune for years, may be I'm able to help a bit.

So, when you are doing the intro phrasing, I think you may find it easier to maintain the proper bends if you move it up past the 12th fret.

for example, your starting note would be A on the 3rd string @ the 14 fret, next hit the D note on the 2nd string @ the 15th fret then find the E on the 2nd string @ fret 17.

That may take some of the tension off the bends, then just use that same A note for the start of the next two phrases, (just move your trailing notes around.

so, A-3rd string fret14, C-2nd string fret 13 D-2nd string fret 15 (bend here) and so on.

This also puts you in the right position to launch into the lead, (there are some cool albeit tricky licks in the main solo. It took me quite a while to figure that one out.

This of course is just how I have always done it, and works for me, it may not work well for you.

Gary was awesome!

Rock on!

It is playing a note. Think of the note you want, and figure out how to get to it. Could be a monster two step bend, could be a half a step slide up or down to, could be bent a whole step and brought back down. It's just a note. The bend is a physical thing you have to practice, especially bending to the note you want and then wiggling it. The bend is a means to an end, it just has to be practiced.

rct

Hey Kid, thanks... I have a go at it your way and see if that helps... [thumbup]

yea, Try it man! I think you'll see also that you will not have to move around as much if you can get it up there too.

So more of an "economy of movement" effect could be a plus too

I wasn't going to post this after listening back and hearing all the sharp and flat notes, it depressed me. Well here it is anyway so I'm asking if there is anything I can do to improve my bends?

th_StillGottheBlues.jpg

great effort dave!, hats of to ya buddy [thumbup]

Sounds quite good to me Dave :) lovely fiddle you're usin' too!

Something that helped me loads starting out, just to get my ear working. Say you're bending the B string at the 10th fret (A), a whole bend would bring you up to the B. What I'd do is hit the 12th fret B, and then bend from the 10th until I matched that pitch. It was just a good way for me to grasp the breadth of the interval. Dunno if it'll work for you though

Nice post dave...a challenging piece to play [biggrin]

There is a guitar-players' saying...'play with the ears rather than the fingers'...as already suggested...

I notice the guitar neck moves up during the bends and the strap is loose

So a slight change to posture may help

More pivot during the bend...less tight grip in the palm...ie relax and enjoy...

As divers often say

'Still got the Bends'

[thumbup]

V

:-({|=

[thumbup] Yes. While it's tedious. Playing the "target" note first and then bending into it from below is hugely helpful in developing a knock for whole and half step bends. You can play the target note on a different string and bend until it matches for starters. Then play the target note so you hear it in your head. Let it die out. Then play your bent note. Pain in the a$$, but it really does help.

BTW, I think you did a great job, Dave!

Sounds great Dave! Nice job. Bends get interesting when switching guitars, especially from a Strat to a LP. My "curse" is that I have perfect pitch which drives me crazy at times, especially when I do bends.

Guest farnsbarns

Lovely Dave. Don't worry about missing the target on a few bends, now you've learned it a tiny bit of practice will see you hitting every one of them.

You should be very proud if this vid.

No reason to be "depressed" about that one, dude. There is far more "right" than "wrong" about that performance.

For one, the tone is great. You absolutely nailed it there. Not sure what it is or how you got there, but it works. The "tone" you got makes the whole thing, leads and all, sound good. It more than makes up for any lack of hitting some of the notes.

Lets not overlook the rest of it...the chord work and the rhythm you played on that is absolutely top notch in every way. The timing, the articulation, the tone..it's ALL there. If it was a band situation or a live performance, your chord work would be carrying the tune as it does here and whoever might be playing lead over it would sound a lot better than what we get from most guitar players (opinion, of corse).

Bends? I consider myself to be particularly good at them, but sometimes after not playing for awhile, I STILL have to practice a bit...which doesn't take long at all.

I think for the most part, it's a matter of finger-tone coordination. As you listen to yourself, your fingers automatically find the right note if you are concentrating. It's like throwing a ball or driving a car (or a Harley). Once you get your brain programmed to it, it somehow remembers that coordination aspect of it.

To get there, I think it is nothing more than listening to the note as you bend...similar to tuning your guitar (unless it is a robot...lol...that's CHEATING). I feel like it is more of a matter of getting your fingers used to coordinating with the sound coming out, rather than hitting a particular note. Once that happens, the notes seem to be automatic.

When I feel the need, I just grab a guitar and do a few bends, listening to myself as I make the note go up. Then maybe grab a couple pre-bends and go down. Like driving someone else's car, it might be slightly awkward at first, but by the time I have rounded the first corner, I'm in control.

Some personal observations: I think as guitar players, sometimes we listen to the band we are playing with, sometimes we only listen to ourselves. Sometimes we are hearing the notes in our head and playing to that, but not really hearing what we are playing (similar to hearing a recording of ourselves and it doesn't sound like we thought it did when we played it). To me, practicing bends is an exorcise in listening to myself and what is actually coming out of the amp.

When I play leads, I have a tendency to pull most of the notes sharp. Mainly, because vibrato and digging in and getting aggressive can only pull notes sharp. Not noticeable playing to myself with no music, but when playing with others, it comes into play. It isn't a bad thing...slightly sharp notes often make it sound more "exciting", but it does sound bad (in my case) sometimes, so it is good to try and listen for it as I am playing. This doesn't apply to practice by myself playing the mastabutory scales and such, but is entirely an aspect of practicing listening skills while playing with others. Hearing it while playing causes one to naturally play it proper tune.

Timing: playing leads by myself vs with music or a band brings out timing issues...or rather, playing leads IN TIME with the band verses not in time with the band is what can make a difference. Playing a "slow blues" tune often makes it easier to play fast, not because the song is slow, but because it allows for more timing variation. I bring it up here because when practicing bends, I like to fool around with the timing...like how fast or slow I bring the note in. Then when it comes to playing a lead with a band or backing music, the aspect of timing can be used to add dimensions to a slow blues, or be used as a tool to help with timing on other things as well.

Hey Stein... Thanks so much for the very positive feedback in your first post. Secondly, thanks for taking the time to make such a detailed analysis and explanation of the bends. I got a lot out of your posts. Thanks again... [thumbup]

I thought you did a great job, Dave.

As far as the bends go; do you occasionally go flat or sharp when playing with the band or is it just when you are 'solo'? I have found myself going sharp when there's no point of comparison - i.e. another player or a backing track - but (AFAIK !) when playing with a point of reference - other music/musicians - my pitch tends to be spot-on.

Perhaps it's just there's no reference point for you to gauge true pitch? :-k

All-in-all, though, Good Job!

[thumbup]

P.

Definitely recognizable!!!! [thumbup] I just didn't know the name! (I should have said that when I posted.)

I just hope that I can cover it as well as you some day [unsure]

Well thank you... It is a great tune and I would suggest it to any guitar player as learning it will teach you a lot... [thumbup]

Well thank you... It is a great tune and I would suggest it to any guitar player as learning it will teach you a lot... [thumbup]

Definitely! One of Gary's best by far.

RIP GM. you are missed.

Archived