Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone Ever Been In a Bluegrass Band ??

JuanCarlosVejar

I play in a bluegrass band now and for the last four years. The transition from rock and country to bluegrass was tough for me. But all in all, I've enjoyed the variety of acoustic instruments and their sound being played together at full throttle! The best music I've been a part of in 40 years, period!

Don't play in a established band, but been to quite a few bluegrass " hootenanies" .

That's a hillbilly term for a jam or get together. Friends, neibors, or family gathering on the porch to pick some old tunes. Lots of fun. And if you screw up nobody cares and makes for a good laugh. No band members to be mad at you

I've toured professionally in the bluegrass world for over 20 years. Great memories, made some life long friends, and know some amazing musicians.

That's me on the bass...

Great Stuff, Daryl!

Lots of gray hair on that stage........

Don't play in a established band, but been to quite a few bluegrass " hootenanies" .

That's a hillbilly term for a jam or get together. Friends, neibors, or family gathering on the porch to pick some old tunes. Lots of fun. And if you screw up nobody cares and makes for a good laugh. No band members to be mad at you

JR ,

yeah I knew what you meant =D .

JC

I've toured professionally in the bluegrass world for over 20 years. Great memories, made some life long friends, and know some amazing musicians.

That's me on the bass...

Being a bluegrass picker, I'm very impressed! The Osborne Bros?!!!! 'nuff said! The Grand Ol' Opry?!!! 'nuff said!

I've been learning bluegrass for several years but as you can imagine there aren't too many bands of that ilk here in the UK. We do have a monthly bluegrass jam in a pub near where I live but they're all much more profficient than I am so my contribution is mainly rhythm. However, I'm lucky to be able to get away once a year to attend Steve Kaufman's famous Acoustic Kamp in Maryville Tennessee, which gives me more musical input & jamming than I get the rest of the year! I also got to play in a band on stage as winners of the "band scramble" competition my first year at camp - here's a picture of us....

SKAK-wk-1-2007_00701-2.jpg

Hey lefty guy.....us Kentucky and Tennesseee people don't run around barefooted anymore. Just what kind of message are you trying to send to the crowd??? [flapper]

Maryville, Tn in a beautifull place to be. Glad you enjoy your visits here. Renfro Valley, Kentucky is another bluegrass hot spot worth checking out sometime and is about 2 hours from Maryville Tn. A lot of Big Time bluegrass players put on shows there. Ralph Stanley is playing there this month and danged if I'm not gonna be able to make it [crying]

Hey lefty guy.....us Kentucky and Tennesseee people don't run around barefooted anymore. Just what kind of message are you trying to send to the crowd??? [flapper]

Well, this was back in 2007 ;-)

Seriously though, I can't wait to get back there this Sunday. Great crowd of people, awesome instructors who play concerts nightly & jammin' day & night.

Its a week I look forward to again from the moment I touch down back in blighty.

btw JohnnyReb, thought you'd be interested to see that we're keeping the spirit of the ole South alive in Southern England.....this was taken a couple of years back in one of our paddocks.

CoC27thAla.jpg

That's me on the bass...

That's awesome! Love BG music and I respect those who can play it because you have to be pretty damn good to play at this level.

That's me on the bass...

Whoa.......Daryl M. NOT playing a GIBSON bass ???? [flapper]:rolleyes:[blink][smile] ......

Yeah, I'm a rocker, but I've done some bluegrass in my time....I'm actually slowly working on a bluegrass mountain C.D........

The music is pure bluegrass, all lyrics are hysterical, and in jest....The C.D. is titled; "Songs From the Biggie Hill",

a variation of the PBS show "Songs From the Mountain"...........

Archived