Gibson Brands Forums

Blues...

surfpup

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blues is all about feeling and I didn't get much sense of that. While technically very good, Yngwie was shredding the blues scale over a backing track without apparently keeping with that track.

I always thought Yngwie gets too much sh!t. I don't listen to him much. (his songs do have a tendency of sounding the same.) But he is a phenomenal guitar player. but I prefer Jason Becker for my neoclassical needs.

as for the video, I'm watching it right now and am thoroughly enjoying it.

Sorry, but YUCK. I don't like his playing, his tone, or his style. Too many fast note runs when they are completely unnecessary. It's pounding in tacks with a sledge hammer. He should resolve to be a shredder and not try to do music with singing.

And, yes, he could play circles around me with just his pinky finger.

I just want to know how blues players have so much soul if they sell theirs to the devil.

It's because they gots the devil in them. The devil doesn't take full possession until they die.

Blues is all about feeling and I didn't get much sense of that. While technically very good, Yngwie was shredding the blues scale over a backing track without apparently keeping with that track.

+ 1

B.B. King once told to someone( Iforhot to who) : " Play less notes ..."

On the whole speed side I think that it really has to do with the feelings you evoke, if a song calls for slow bluesy playing, don't throw a shredding solo in there, likewise if a song calls for a shredding solo, it is equally bad to put a slow bluesy solo in. Paganini, the violin virtuoso and composer was extremely technically proficient, but I don't recall him ever being referred to as a soulless wanker by music fans.

Notes themselves don't have souls, people do, it's the way the notes make you feel, not the notes themselves.

You didn't get to the Spanish Castle Magic which was live did you?

You're right, I didn't make it that far.

I do actually own an early Yngwie album - Trilogy and I admire him for his classical style playing.

However, although I haven't heard many, this is my favourite track he features in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5_CqMGsE7E

Edit: OK, I got through the Spanish Castle Magic this time. I'm not so sure it's blues though. I would say it's more Penatonic hard rock.

Be honest; you knew you would hate it before the first second. Mind closed = ears closed.

I listen to Elmore James and like it.... lots..... He played an acoustic with a pickup and it sounds fantastic.. All I needed was to hear one super ultra over driven note to know I wasn't going to like the clip. The same reason I hate Gary Moore.

A live video I saw had Albert King saying it to Gary Moore

No offense to Albert, as he's one of the blues greats and certainly is a favorite of mine, but he couldn't keep with Gary!

Hardly anyone could hold their fire against Gary....

No offense to Albert, as he's one of the blues greats and certainly is a favorite of mine, but he couldn't keep with Gary!

Hardly anyone could hold their fire against Gary....

I'm a Gary Moore fan but Albert's thing wasn't about keeping up with Gary or anyone else. I appreciate Gary's fire and skill but if you look at a video of Stevie Ray Vaughn, who could "keep up" with anyone, play with Albert or BB he played in in a style that was more compatible with the 2 Kings. Sure, he was deferring to them out of respect for what groundwork they laid for the rest of us. I don't think Gary was being disrespectful but he couldn't contain his enthusiasm very well. There are times when less is more. The space between the notes can say as much as the notes themselves. That's the lesson Albert was trying to teach.

I didn't think I was going to like it and ended up liking it.

He does slow it down to 32nd note triplets.

And the triplet stuff makes kinda an interesting type of "swing" against a shuffle...who would have thought?

Archived