Gibson Brands Forums

Blues...

surfpup

I didn't think I was going to like it and ended up liking it.

He does slow it down to 32nd note triplets.

And the triplet stuff makes kinda an interesting type of "swing" against a shuffle...who would have thought?

This!

If everyone played blues the same, then it wouldn't be fun!

Sure, playing slow licks with spatial quality is the right thing in some cases....

But if you're playing a faster shuffle (like La Grange for example), turn on the ignition and hit the gas pedal! It's awesome!

The great thing about blues and boogie rock (MY term for songs like La Grange, Rocker by AC/DC, etc) is that they're blank slates for soloing. It's the best way to learn how to improvise and form solos, and to learn the ins and outs of crescendos, etc . That's what I did when I was first getting off the ground as a player. No tabs, either. I think that up-and-coming guys should use their ears and play along to records. Doing so will train the ear and help timing. Tabs and instructional videos can't do that, cause' the rhythmic/human part is gone. Knowledge of theory, scales, modes, etc are all very important (at least if one wants to head down that road), but they make absolutely no sense until they're put into songs. My advice to anyone is to learn lots of songs and the art of improvisation first, and then put the fancy stuff into the mix later on.

There's a reason why our hero's were great: The ways they learned. There was no instructional videos, tabs, etc. They played along to records (those round vinyl discs in the big sleeves...) and did stuff on their own.

Sorry for straying off the topic.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The really bad note he hit made it sound authentic.......Maybe he did that on purpose......[blush] :blink: :-k ....

You just made my day. I am DEFINITELY authentic cause I got lots of them.

I'm the real deal. Feeling good about that. I can add this feeling to my playing.

You just made my day. I am DEFINITELY authentic cause I got lots of them.

I'm the real deal. Feeling good about that. I can add this feeling to my playing.

[thumbup][blush][lol] .............

Malmsteen's coverage of "blues" songs are completely void of emotion and are just nothing but blues scale shredding.Malmsteen is a fabulous technical guitar player but his ice-cold lack of emotion while he's playing really has impacted on the size of his fan base.

I'm a big fan of Yngwie's...

...but what the haters might not understand is that it takes patience and practice to be a shredder...

So guitar players that aren't big fans of Yngwie and that genre are stupid and don't know what patience and practice are? Does this mean that only neo-classical hair shredders have to have patience and have to practice a lot, that the rest of us just woke up and started playing the guitar?

Most of the haters shouldn't be talking cause' they can't do what Yngwie, Gary, Paul, and many others do or have done.

So does this mean that the big fans of theirs can do what those guys do? Does this mean that a guitar player that doesn't like that stuff has to learn how to do it before he says he doesn't like that stuff? What if a currently narrating guitar player actually CAN do that stuff, and just doesn't like what them guys do? Can you do that stuff? Do you like them guys because you can do that stuff, or do you do that stuff because you like them guys? And since you are a big fan, that means you CAN do that stuff, so you can stop liking them guys at any time?

I'll say it again: BLUES IS ABOUT PLAYING WHAT YOU FEEL AND GOING FOR IT, NOT HOLDING IT BACK!

As long as it is WHAT YOU SAY IS FEEL AND GOING FOR IT AND NOT WHAT ANYONE ELSE THINKS IT IS OR IS NOT.

Liking or not liking something is part of music, and has nothing whatsoever to do with the relative abilities of the liker/dis-liker. Not everybody likes what you like, just like they don't all like what I like. Problem is, I like guitar players that are pretty easy to knock off, so I can't say that haters hate because they can't do it!

rct

I am a huge Blues fan, and to me anyway, it passed as Blues (first part of video). Not what I'd normally listen to certainly, but there are no real "rules" to the Blues, nothing says you can't shred them. FWIW, not a YM fan, never been one. And yes, his technical proficiency and skill are amazing.

Liked the Spanish Castle Magic cover a lot, and don't really consider that or the original Blues. Great song though, I need to learn it!

I just want to know how blues players have so much soul if they sell theirs to the devil.

Simple, the Devil takes title, but leases it back. Re"possessed", usually (but not always) at death. [tongue]

A live video I saw had Albert King saying it to Gary Moore

Always thought it came from John Lee Hooker (to whoever), but this might've been the incident I've seen referenced. The way I recall hearing it, the elder Bluesman said something like "you know, just because you can play all them notes, it don't mean you should". All above quotes probably came out of the one incident, and maybe none are that accurate, with the exception of the message. It's the same in all. And to me (and for my liking), it's right.

Guest farnsbarns

Not blues in my book. Barely even music. He always sounds like what I imagine a computer would come up with if you programmed all of music theory. Each to their own but that ain't the blues.

Here's my 2 cents:

"The blues ain't nothing but a good man feeling bad" and

"The blues had a baby,they call it rock&roll"

However way back while I was still learning I got a few tips from

a professional blues player and he later gave me the compliment " Not bad

for a white boy" I did like that. Plus he always told me: " Don't

play that hippie ****...".

He was a real purist, exeptional player, always Chicago Blues and

suit and tie, and es335.

Then some good friends I came to jam with the first time were

blues dudes and when I opened my guitar case one said : " Hmm,

a Rock 'n Roll guitar..." . It was a strat.Needless to say

I got myself a 355 later too.And today I own a Gretsch, Les Paul,

Firebord, Tele, ES339,ES33, Strat and Ric 360/12.

Well, I am not a purist and I love everything from Albert King

to Pink Floyd.

However, every thing that is based on the blues and has evolved from

it is something of its own. Call it progressive blues, Bluesrock

or whatever. And all of it is creative music and the greatest thing

for those who like it or play it.

Here's my 2 cents:

"The blues ain't nothing but a good man feeling bad" and

"The blues had a baby,they call it rock&roll"

However way back while I was still learning I got a few tips from

a professional blues player and he later gave me the compliment " Not bad

for a white boy" I did like that. Plus he always told me: " Don't

play that hippie ****...".

He was a real purist, exeptional player, always Chicago Blues and

suit and tie, and es335.

Then some good friends I came to jam with the first time were

blues dudes and when I opened my guitar case one said : " Hmm,

a Rock 'n Roll guitar..." . It was a strat.Needless to say

I got myself a 355 later too.And today I own a Gretsch, Les Paul,

Firebord, Tele, ES339,ES33, Strat and Ric 360/12.

Well, I am not a purist and I love everything from Albert King

to Pink Floyd.

However, every thing that is based on the blues and has evolved from

it is something of its own. Call it progressive blues, Bluesrock

or whatever. And all of it is creative music and the greatest thing

for those who like it or play it.

Buddy Guy plays a Strat. If he ain't the blues, I'm not sure if anybody is.

It's pretty bluesy. A couple of things:

I think it's pretty much universal that most blues guitarists try to replicate vocal type sounds. At least that's what the big shots say.

BB King said to control every note. That every note should have its own flavor. You want to either bend it, pinch it, mute it, fart it, whatever. But every note should be distinct. Every note should count.

It's hard to play the blues in a costume. And the hair and stuff. You can't play blues if you dress like that. And the stage antics. That's not just some smart *** comment. That's the way it is. You can't make a souflee out of jello.

No offense, but it's very difficult to be a blues guitar superstar unless you sing too. You can't be waving at some other guy to do the singing. If you're a blues guitar player, being able to sing makes you like four times as "Alpha". It makes you the top dog. I can't tell who's the frontman.

So I guess it's blues, but not made using the usual recipe.

It's pretty bluesy. A couple of things:

I think it's pretty much universal that most blues guitarists try to replicate vocal type sounds. At least that's what the big shots say.

BB King said to control every note. That every note should have its own flavor. You want to either bend it, pinch it, mute it, fart it, whatever. But every note should be distinct. Every note should count.

It's hard to play the blues in a costume. And the hair and stuff. You can't play blues if you dress like that. And the stage antics. That's not just some smart *** comment. That's the way it is. You can't make a souflee out of jello.

No offense, but it's very difficult to be a blues guitar superstar unless you sing too. You can't be waving at some other guy to do the singing. If you're a blues guitar player, being able to sing makes you like four times as "Alpha". It makes you the top dog. I can't tell who's the frontman.

So I guess it's blues, but not made using the usual recipe.

That is simply not true.

You can play the blues no matter what (just as long as you can play the blues...).

That's like saying a guy dressed in hippie clothes can't play thrash metal....

Oh yeah, that was Blues. Even though he played some fast licks and used chorus laden overdrive, that was obviously Ynwie expressing himself with some improv over a I-IV-V progression, laying heavy on the backbeat. If that ain't "Yngwie's Blues" then what is it. Damn good playing on the Hendrix Cover, too. I never considered "Spanish Magic Castle" to be a Blues, Blues-Rock maybe, but not blues.

Anyway, like him or not, like the jam or not, it's blues. Blues has nothing to do with the listeners personal taste. I personally can't stand Bobby Blue Bland's brand of bland blues, but he's undoubtedly singing the blues. It always peeves me a little when someone defines music by their own personal taste. It's like a tall glass of Hubris on ice.

Oh yeah, that was Blues. Even though he played some fast licks and used chorus laden overdrive, that was obviously Ynwie expressing himself with some improv over a I-IV-V progression, laying heavy on the backbeat. If that ain't "Yngwie's Blues" then what is it. Damn good playing on the Hendrix Cover, too. I never considered "Spanish Magic Castle" to be a Blues, Blues-Rock maybe, but not blues.

Anyway, like him or not, like the jam or not, it's blues. Blues has nothing to do with the listeners personal taste. I personally can't stand Bobby Blue Bland's brand of bland blues, but he's undoubtedly singing the blues. It always peeves me a little when someone defines music by their own personal taste. It's like a tall glass of Hubris on ice.

Couldn't agree more!

He was just expressing himself. Cause' that's how Yngwie rolls!

Just cause' it is fast and technically advanced doesn't mean it's not blues.

Couldn't agree more!

He was just expressing himself. Cause' that's how Yngwie rolls!

Just cause' it is fast and technically advanced doesn't mean it's not blues.

Exactly! It's about the player expressing himself, it's not paint by numbers.

Exactly! It's about the player expressing himself, it's not paint by numbers.

It's beyond me that some people just don't get that.

I can easily understand if Yngwie does nothing for someone, but to compare him to a computer is just stupid.

It's like people wanna criticize him for having an emphasis on technical ability!

I think it's a great thing to have soul and feeling PLUS technical ability and articulation. Obviously if a player goes by metronomes (which are good if you're just trying to build up speed, as long as you already know the licks), instructional shred videos, tabs, and plays with too much distortion (which Yngwie doesn't. I know of many "normal" blues guys that play with way more distortion. He's a Strat with low-output pickups, a cranked MKII, and a boost pedal. No high gain or active pickups in sight. Plus, he doesn't use loads of post-end effects, either), they'll never train their ear or have a good sense of timing or feeling.

Yngwie didn't learn that way. Back then, you had records and BASIC instruction books (like Bert Weeden's "Play In A Day"). And your ears!

Call him a wanker if you wish, but that either means you're a bigger wanker or a killjoy with a stick up your a$$.

It's beyond me that some people just don't get that.

I can easily understand if Yngwie does nothing for someone, but to compare him to a computer is just stupid.

It's like people wanna criticize him for having an emphasis on technical ability!

I think it's a great thing to have soul and feeling PLUS technical ability and articulation. Obviously if a player goes by metronomes (which are good if you're just trying to build up speed, as long as you already know the licks), instructional shred videos, tabs, and plays with too much distortion (which Yngwie doesn't. I know of many "normal" blues guys that play with way more distortion. He's a Strat with low-output pickups, a cranked MKII, and a boost pedal. No high gain or active pickups in sight. Plus, he doesn't use loads of post-end effects, either), they'll never train their ear or have a good sense of timing or feeling.

Yngwie didn't learn that way. Back then, you had records and BASIC instruction books (like Bert Weeden's "Play In A Day"). And your ears!

Call him a wanker if you wish, but that either means you're a bigger wanker or a killjoy with a stick up your a$$.

If one criticizes technique one has an excellent excuse for not studying technique. I don't like to say "Cop Out" on here cause so many people on guitar forums take umbrage to that term, but that's usually the reason behind knocking those with impeccable technique. You don't have to be able to do it to appreciate it. And how a guitarist can listen to a guy like Yngwie and not be moved is just beyond me. Even if the only emotion he evokes is awe, he's still moving the listener.

Always thought it came from John Lee Hooker (to whoever), but this might've been the incident I've seen referenced. The way I recall hearing it, the elder Bluesman said something like "you know, just because you can play all them notes, it don't mean you should". All above quotes probably came out of the one incident, and maybe none are that accurate, with the exception of the message. It's the same in all. And to me (and for my liking), it's right.

I think that quote came from more than one. In fact, I think MOST bluesmen would say the same thing to a guy playing the same thing. I,ve heard it, I think you've heard it. And I'll go ahead and say it again:

Slow the F%$# down! BREATH man. Let it fester a bit. Make something sink in before you hit all that stuff at once bro.

He played 3 blues songs last time I saw him live and I liked them,

I wonder why thee mere subject of Yngwie makes some folks throw their own feces,

I listen to about 6 of his albums pretty regularly, when I do I get sh!t done at work!

For Yngwie that was pretty slow. He doesn't really go apeshit before the 1:00 mark. In fact he has a couple of pretty tasty (and enviable) unison bends in there. After listening a couple times, the intro is pretty tasty and the first "verse" is refined. Yngwies not really my cup of tea, but he ripped that backing track a new one [thumbup]

Okay, I was really interested to hear what you guys thought about this. That's why I posted it. A few, somewhat random thoughts...

Yngwie is amazingly talented yet, interestingly, very polarizing. I will admit that I have a limited tolerance for Yngwie's playing. In fact, after being dragged by one of my friends to a show I stood in the back and yelled "Play more solos Yngwie!" between each song.

That said, he has amazing tone and vibrato in his fingers. I particularly enjoyed the Spanish Castle Magic cover because I think his own original material is a bit lacking. I think he did a great job on that cover. The "blues improv" over the backing track was less interesting to me, but still enjoyable as a bluesy shred fest.

I wonder if Jimi might have endured similar criticism for "stretching" the boundaries. He played pretty fast too. [biggrin] Little Richard fired him for being too flashy as I recall.

Also, technique can be a blessing and a curse. People like John Coltrane also ran into a place where their advanced technique alienated those who preferred simpler phrasing.

Very few people who can play difficult music choose not to do so.

It would have been interesting if Hendrix put out 15 albums over 3 decades, I wonder how he would be perceived.

On the other hand if Yngwie had died after releasing Odyssey, and assume he was 27 at the time, I wonder how he would be perceived nowadays.

Archived