Gibson Brands Forums

Third Failure Mode for Schallers

lazarusvt84

In addition to the nut coming loose on Schaller strap locks, the other day I found the strap pin on my LP Stnd Trad half unscrewed on the neck end. And just today, my son shows me how the same neck end on his guitar (weighty LP) just pops right off on account of the pin becoming soo worn (he plays alot) that the little locking piston no longer stays stays inside the 'cup' of the strap end. It now just slides out. In otherwords, the pin is so worn away that it's lost much of it's original shape/integrity essential to make the proper connection with the strap end. His Schallers are about 3 yrs old Looks like we'll be buying Dunlops from now on.

Guest farnsbarns

In addition to the nut coming loose on Schaller strap locks, the other day I found the strap pin on my LP Stnd Trad half unscrewed on the neck end. And just today, my son shows me how the same neck end on his guitar (weighty LP) just pops right off on account of the pin becoming soo worn (he plays alot) that the little locking piston no longer stays stays inside the 'cup' of the strap end. It now just slides out. In otherwords, the pin is so worn away that it's lost much of it's original shape/integrity essential to make the proper connection with the strap end. His Schallers are about 3 yrs old Looks like we'll be buying Dunlops from now on.

Try the planet lock strap by planet waves. It locks on to your standard strap buttons like so...

In the video I manage to make that look difficult because I'm using one hand and filming with a phone.

Sounds strange... I have schallers on most of my guitars and they have never failed or gotten worm out. The oldest I have is 12 years old and the newes is 3 years old, not one problem so far and I gig a lot, play 8 hours a day and take the strap out of every guitar before putting in on its case. The guitar I use the most shows some wear, but something that would make me think ten or fifteen years of the same use will probably render them useles (that guitar gets used at least 40 hours a week every week, and has been getting that play time for 3 and a half years now).

Maybe you got bad ones? Or maybe they weren't properly installed?

I bought a set of Schallers and then I bought 2 extra sets of strap buttons, these are not Schaller branded and I have noticed that after I play the guitars that have these knock off buttons there are tiny metal shavings around them. The authentic Schallers don't do that.

Guest farnsbarns

[thumbup] German metal is superior to Chinese metal!

I think it's more a case of high quality stainless steel is better than pig-iron or mazak etc.

^^^see that's where my repro Schaller buttons are headed.

Are you sure these buttons are legit?

The ones that are giving me this problem are sold under the Fender brand actually,

I took a look at the strap part of the assembly and they indicate 'Made in Germany'...with Schaller name.

I have never had an issue either...

Weird..

Oh that's right, Cause I use Dunlop's...

[thumbup]

My issue with the Schaller's is the nuts on the strap portion, darn things NEVER stayed tight.

Socket. Wrench.

Archived