Gibson Brands Forums

Musicians You Wish Were Still With Us

kaleb

I am looking at this more from the angle of only posting musicians that died before their time like Hendrix and Randy Rhoads. Musicians that lived a full life, like Les Paul or the Ramones or even Sterling Morison, would not be on my list.

Exactly, this is the way I would look at it too. Given that...

SRV

Randy Rhoads

Michael Hedges

would top my list

In no special order

Stan Getz

Stanley Turrentine

Terry Kath

Charlie Parker

Emily Remler

Lester Young

Sergei Prokofiev

Harry "Sweets" Edison

Dmitri Shostakovich

Paul Desmond

Shirley Horn

T-Bone Walker

Professor Longhair

And I'll think of dozens of others as soon as I click "Add Reply"

I think if Hendrix were still around he'd still be flooring us with amazing material.

Yes he would. He wouldn't have kept playing what he had been. I'm sure he would have gone on to Fusion, classical, etc. He could have beat Ritchie Blackmore to the punch!

When people talk of SRV and Hendrix in the same breath, frankly, I don't get it. There's no telling of what Hendrix would have done. SRV would have stuck with blues. Maybe a little jazz, maybe some funk, but not too far away from his "home". Now, I love Stevie and the music he gave us, but just because he played a Strat, covered his songs, was a flashy dresser, and was somewhat of a wild performer doesn't mean he was some sort of "next Hendrix" or anything like that. You can tell he was influenced by him, but in reality, they sound nothing alike. Well, if anyone plays a Strat and covers "Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)", they're sure to get lumped with them.

I tell ya', if anyone could have been considered "the new Hendrix" (which is total blashphemy, honestly), it was Frank Marino. And he didn't even play a Strat!

Yes he would. He wouldn't have kept playing what he had been. I'm sure he would have gone on to Fusion, classical, etc. He could have beat Ritchie Blackmore to the punch!

When people talk of SRV and Hendrix in the same breath, frankly, I don't get it. There's no telling of what Hendrix would have done. SRV would have stuck with blues. Maybe a little jazz, maybe some funk, but not too far away from his "home". Now, I love Stevie and the music he gave us, but just because he played a Strat, covered his songs, was a flashy dresser, and was somewhat of a wild performer doesn't mean he was some sort of "next Hendrix" or anything like that. You can tell he was influenced by him, but in reality, they sound nothing alike. Well, if anyone plays a Strat and covers "Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)", they're sure to get lumped with them.

I tell ya', if anyone could have been considered "the new Hendrix" (which is total blashphemy, honestly), it was Frank Marino. And he didn't even play a Strat!

I can't agree with you on SRV. If you listen to the songs "Couldn't Stand the Weather", "Change It", "Say What", "Tightrope", "Wall of Denial", and most of In Step, along with what he did on Family Style I'd say he was taking a pretty obvious turn into Rock territory. I think he was an album away from a really big crossover hit.

I'm with you on the Hendrix comparison, though. Sure Stevie loved Jimi and covered a few of his tunes with his own Texas Twist on them, but there's very little about thier styles to connect them. Aside form the Strat their equipment was extremely different.

As far as I'm concerned, the next Hendrix/Les Paul/Charlie Christian won't be playing the guitar. He/She will have to be an innovator of an instrument that needs innovating.

I can't agree with you on SRV. If you listen to the songs "Couldn't Stand the Weather", "Change It", "Say What", "Tightrope", "Wall of Denial", and most of In Step, along with what he did on Family Style I'd say he was taking a pretty obvious turn into Rock territory. I think he was an album away from a really big crossover hit.

I'm with you on the Hendrix comparison, though. Sure Stevie loved Jimi and covered a few of his tunes with his own Texas Twist on them, but there's very little about thier styles to connect them. Aside form the Strat their equipment was extremely different.

As far as I'm concerned, the next Hendrix/Les Paul/Charlie Christian won't be playing the guitar. He/She will have to be an innovator of an instrument that needs innovating.

Yeah, I probably should have said "Blues Rock" rather than just blues.

Archived