Gibson Brands Forums

ONE-HIT WONDER CONTENT

J.R.M.30!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HAHA :P

more seriously :)

I'd hardly call Thunder one hit wonders! In fact I'm luck to have a ticket to their Christmas show this year. They have a massive back catalogue (and I thought "Low Life in High Places" was their biggest U.K hit), can still rock with the best, and Luke Morley's spin off group The Union must be one of the best Blues Rock outfits in the U.K at the moment, and are well worth seeing live if you ever get the chance.

Ian.

In a sense I'm shocked this one didn't come up. Link basically made a career of the one piece after it came out like in '58.

It's the original rock distortion sound.

Yeah, instrumental, but banned in some markets because of what it was seen to mean as represented in this vid.

As for that latter... if you weren't there, you don't get it. Not that there's not similar stuff still happening today, but times and music and culture were different.

m

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l0c9wFoT1I

In a sense I'm shocked this one didn't come up. Link basically made a career of the one piece after it came out like in '58.

It's the original rock distortion sound.

Yeah, instrumental, but banned in some markets because of what it was seen to mean as represented in this vid.

As for that latter... if you weren't there, you don't get it. Not that there's not similar stuff still happening today, but times and music and culture were different.

m

To say Lnk Wray was a one hit wonder is absurd! He was a most influential player.

Not to mention his work with Robert Gordon. Very innovative player and a true legend.

Here is a real One Hit Wonder...

Nothing against Link at all - but the pop radio stations I had available only had Rumble on play - then nada.

More than a few of the "one hit wonder" rock bands had more than one piece that were good; more than of few of them had more talent than shown in their "hits."

I think that especially in the '50s and then 60s, payola, this version or that paid for in a given market, etc., all played a role in stuff.

Jørgen Ingmann, for example, may have had some European fame, but his version of "Apache" functionally made him a one-hit wonder in North America. The Shadows in the UK did the piece "big," too. The Shadows never made it big in the US. Not even as one-hit wonders.

Ah, but the music biz can be interesting.

m

Europe a one hit wonder?

From Wikipedia, "Europe rose to international fame in the 1980s with its third album The Final Countdown (1986), which became a substantial commercial success and sold over three million copies in the United States. Europe was one of the most successful rock acts of the 1980s and sold over 20 million albums worldwide.[2] The band has achieved two top 20 albums on the Billboard 200 chart (The Final Countdown and Out of This World)[3] and two top 10 singles on the Billboard Hot 100 chart ("The Final Countdown" and "Carrie").[4]"

Mountain a one hit wonder?

Also from Wikipedia here are their albums, year of release and where they topped on the Billboard top 200:

Climbing! (1970) US #17 *US: Gold

Nantucket Sleighride (1971) US #16 *US: Gold

Flowers of Evil (1971; partially live) #35

Avalanche (1974) #102

Go for Your Life (1985) #166

Uh, yeh, CowboyBillyBob1, some people on here don't have a clue.

... Mountain a one hit wonder?...

I think you can blame this on classic rock radio which seems to play only a band's biggest hit. Everything else gets summarily ignored - especially by younger generations if they don't bother to dig into the catalog. Other examples of this phenomenon that I have observed.

Grand Funk Railroad - We're an American Band

Mott the Hoople - All the Young Dudes

Blue Oyster Cult - Don't Fear the Reaper

You get the picture and could no doubt continue this list.

First of all, I'm talking hit songs, I'm not talking longevity or how many albums a band has recorded..

The only song by Mountain that was a major commercial success is Missisippi Queen.. The only song by Europe that was a major commercial success is The Final Countdown, and possibly Carrie, which wasn't nearly as big as the Final countdown.. . That does not make me clueless

All that calling people "clueless" is flat out rude. You and cowboy bob need to check yourselves.

Europe a one hit wonder?

From Wikipedia, "Europe rose to international fame in the 1980s with its third album The Final Countdown (1986), which became a substantial commercial success and sold over three million copies in the United States. Europe was one of the most successful rock acts of the 1980s and sold over 20 million albums worldwide.[2] The band has achieved two top 20 albums on the Billboard 200 chart (The Final Countdown and Out of This World)[3] and two top 10 singles on the Billboard Hot 100 chart ("The Final Countdown" and "Carrie").[4]"

Mountain a one hit wonder?

Also from Wikipedia here are their albums, year of release and where they topped on the Billboard top 200:

Climbing! (1970) US #17 *US: Gold

Nantucket Sleighride (1971) US #16 *US: Gold

Flowers of Evil (1971; partially live) #35

Avalanche (1974) #102

Go for Your Life (1985) #166

Uh, yeh, CowboyBillyBob1, some people on here don't have a clue.

Archived