Gibson Brands Forums

First time performing with my new J45 tomorrow

telemaster03

Well, I received my J45 standard two weeks ago yesterday. After an intense couple of weeks with the guitar, an ipod and a set list to learn, the guitar will have it's debut tomorrow. I'm working with folk legend Tom Paxton at a local festival:

http://www.tumbleweedfestival.com/

I'm loving the guitar and it's been fun getting to know it. My wife will be wielding the camera this weekend so I hope to have some pics to post.

Yes, yes. Pics and videos if you can, please. Are you playing with Paxton as his guitarist, or just on the same program?

I've followed Tom since the Greenwich Village days and I used to see him frequently when I lived in Lansing, where he played every year or two at the ten pound fiddle and sometimes a shorter set at Elderly that afternoon. He engaged the large audiences just as well as the small. In those days he usually played solo, but last time I saw him was about four years ago at the Stone Church here in New Hampshire. He had a guitarist with him and they both played Paxton signature Martins. Of course Paxton's music is not especially known for its guitar work. I would love to hear the blend of a J45 with the Paxton HD-40.

Now having gone on about Tom Paxton, let me add to the congrats to you for getting a great gig. I'm sure the J-45 will do you proud,

Good luck on your performance and congrats on the new J45.I've been playing "Can't help but wonder where I'm bound" since the 60's .... I'm still wondering .... but a great song and a great musical influence is Tom Paxton.

Great weekend...2 shows Saturday and one today. Tom couldn't have been nicer or more supportive. All the entertainers were at a jam last night, but when Tom joined the circle to do a couple of songs the other players stopped to watch and listen like students being shown how it's done.

A couple pics and a video. Sorry for the background noise, we were on the green at a zoo.

The guitar worked great, but Tom's Martin is a loud beast! He was using the new Fishman Aura Spectrum preamp/DI, I liked the sound so much I ordered one as well.

Thanks for the good comments!

It was quite an experience and actually the second time with Tom. The first was four years ago at the same festival. He works very much "on the fly" and changes the set list up as he goes. I had a bunch of songs to learn and had to be ready to play any of them at a minutes notice. I'd take a challenge like that any day! I'm very aware how fortunate I am to get the call, and then get it again.

And yes, the J45 is everything I thought it would be, and much more. I love this guitar!

The recurring theme for the weekend was people telling me "Nice J45", including Mr. Paxton.

I will remove the tuner from the head stock in future performances. Apparently, there was a capo and tuner thief helping himself during the festival - word was it was a crew guy. Those Peterson's ain't cheap and I didn't want to set it down and leave it for the bandit.

Archived