Gibson Brands Forums

Rickenbacker 12 string

fretplay

I was thinking about a 12 string maybe a Ricky 360 but when looking at the pictures on the net the guitars only have six machine heads unlike other 12 strings that have 12 machine heads. I'm sure there is a simple answer to this, any Ricky owner members can help please.

Just a suggestion. Look around for a used Yamaha Pacifica 12 string...(Yeah, I know it ain't a Rick...) I found one a few months ago, and it is a really GREAT electric 12, with lots more versatility than a Rick...it's a SSS Strat looking guitar, with a 5 position switch. Great and very playable neck, MUCH better than any Rick I have ever played...If you don't mind buying a used guitar (they are no longer made) an

mark

Check these reviews...

http://www.harmonycentral.com/products/81077

The Ric 12 has 12 machine heads of course.

Regarding the narrow neck, it takes a bit time to get used to it

but it pays.

Only a Rickenbacker has that jangely tone and if it is

the sound of the Byrds or Tom Petty, this is the only choice.

Expensive? Yes. Worth every penny? Definitely!

I would not want to miss my 360/12.

I've got a Ric 360/12. It's a great guitar with a distinctive sound. But you should find one to play before buying, especially if this will be an online purchase. The Ric 360/12 has a narrow nut - 1.63”. Compare that to a the fairly standard 6 string nut width of 1 11/16" or 1.6875". You can see that's more narrow that many 6 strings. The upshot is you will have to get used to the narrowness and be very clean with your fingering. Some find that narrow nut hard to deal with. I played acoustic and electric 12 strings for years before I acquired the Ric and it took me a while to play it cleanly. BTW, mine has a slotted headstock and restringing is a bit of a chore.

10Ric360-12-md.jpg

Rickenbacker_360-12headstock.JPG

I''d second playing one before you bite the bullet and shell out the money. I love the sound of the 330/360-12 . There's nothing quite like it. It's well made, nicely finished and a true American original. However I never could get on with the narrow neck, and sold mine some years ago.

I wanted a Rickie so bad and then I played one and it was NOT my thing.

I didn't like the fret board feel.

It was like going on a date with a gorgeous, well dressed woman of class and realizing I'd prefer someone dorkier and less high maintenance.

I do not want to diss Rickies because they are awesome, classic, quality instruments, and I pop a boner every time I see one, just not sure she'd make me happy. I'd rather date Marilyn than Audrey, what can I say?

Bottom line, TRY IT OUT!!!

If you are considering a 360/12,keep in mind the '64 and earlier as they have sharper "horns" and the preferable "toaster" pickups.All that means is that looking down at the pickups from directly above,the cutouts in the pickups greatly resemble the top of an old fashioned two slice "Sunbeam" toaster.A lot of people prefer the tone of the toaster pickups as opposed to the new style Hi-Gain pickups which many consider to be more of a shrill sound rather than jangley.Also quite a few people are buying the new style 360/12s that come with the Hi-Gains and ditching the Hi-Gains right away and installing toaster top pickups which are still available from Rickenbacker for about $150 each-I believe.

BTW if you are really serious about getting a Rick you might consider getting : The Complete History of Rickenbacker Guitars by Richard R. Smith that's published by Centerstream Publishing and distributed by Hal Leonard Corp. The book is a boon to anyone looking into buying a Rickenbacker as it gives the details of all their guitars.I got my book through Amazon.Another place worth looking into is Pick of the Ricks in New Jersey. You can find them here: http://www.pickofthericks.com/ they usually carry a large inventory of new and lightly used Rickenbackers.

gle

BTW,I have a circa 1965 3 pup Vox Phantom XII that has a real nice jangle to it when you use the middle and bridge pups together.Of course a Vox amp is pretty well compulsory...lol.

One thing to keep in mind when considering that 12-string sound--Rics are not strung the same way as most other 12-string. On the majority that I've played (which is quite a few), the octave strings that go with the E, A, D, & G strings are normally to the left of the string they are paired with when facing the guitar. On all the Rics I've played, the octave strings were to the right of each pair. While this may not see like much of a difference, it actually does change the sound quite a bit between the two ways of stringing. IMHO, I believe that this does contribute to the distinctive sound that makes a Rickebacker-12 sound a little different than other twelves.

Just a suggestion. Look around for a used Yamaha Pacifica 12 string...(Yeah, I know it ain't a Rick...) I found one a few months ago, and it is a really GREAT electric 12, with lots more versatility than a Rick...it's a SSS Strat looking guitar, with a 5 position switch. Great and very playable neck, MUCH better than any Rick I have ever played...If you don't mind buying a used guitar (they are no longer made) an

mark

Check these reviews...

http://www.harmonycentral.com/products/81077

If you want "Strat looking" why not just go find a 12 string Strat? They weren't all that expensive to begin with and they can be found for about $500. I have a Ric 360-12 and a Strat 12 and the Strat gets more playing time.

Archived