Gibson Brands Forums

Andy Williams passes away

Bob Isaac

RIP...............A quick story.........Eight years ago we took my parents to Branson for their 60th Wedding Anniversery. My mom has always been an Andy Williams fan. I followed other artists, but it couldn't be denied that the guy was a real singer/crooner. He ranked with anyone else at the top. Anyway, we took my folks to see his show. When we got there I quietly found an usher and explained to them about my parent's anniversary and asked if there was a way they could briefly meet with Mr. Williams. The gal said he usually doesn't do that, but she asked for my parent's names....Andy's show was superb. He had Ann Margeret as his special guest. After the show the place is emptying-out and I hear someone say "Mr. Garrett, over here please." The same usher was there and she asked us all to follow her. We went down a short hallway and turned the corner and there was Andy Williams with a dozen roses that he gave to my parents. Just a couple moments later, Ann Margeret comes down the hall and is hugging everyone. They talked to us for almost thirty minutes. Very, very gracious and down-to-earth people. My mom and dad have mentioned this many times since then, and they are sure talking about it today. Andy Williams didn't have to do that. My parents didn't know I had asked about the possibility of them meeting him. They wouldn't have been disappointed. I wouldn't have been upset. I realized that the chances were probably pretty slim. And if he did have the time to say "Hello," I certainly didn't expect him to give them roses and for he and Ann Margeret to speak with for such a long time. Neither of them were in a hurry. It was really a pretty cool and memorable evening, enhanced greatly by Andy Williams and Ann Margeret.......I don't think I've ever owned more than a couple albums by Andy, and maybe those were from my parent's collection...lol...but there is no doubt in my mind that this world is a lesser place without Andy Williams.

Indeed a neat story.

But with all due respect, Williams was from that live radio performer generation that was so personal and so different from the music scene today. Those folks befriended, helped and worked with each other in ways unimagined today. A jerk didn't last long. It seems to me that a lotta people who were nice to others did.

m

Archived