Gibson Brands Forums

Instument/Audio Cables

CowboyBillyBob1

There are quite a few of these internet cable-selling operations now. The original buyer gets a lifetime warranty, which is great - as long as the maker stays in business. Take a quick look at this one, in the u.k. -

http://bassic-bits.co.uk/

It's not a 'pro' web page but....he buys jacks and cable in bulk, there's some mark-up on that and then you are paying for the soldering and postage. They can't be making that much money. So it's probably not cheaper than store-bought but it should be much higher quality and you have the warranty. I say more power to these guys.

South Creek is trying to set up a dealer network and they only have a few so far. I suspect that lots of stores dont want to carry them because they are so cheap and just as high quality as the expensive Monster types.

They do not make custom lenghts like the site you mentioned which is why they can ship so fast and keep the costs down. Again the South Creek is less than $12 USD for a 20' cable.

I understand that Monster is a high quality cable but you are paying for that warranty. Four times what they should cost. Since they are quality cables chances are you will not need to replace it so they make out big time and the retailer makes out as well. Which is why they push these products.

I am all for supporting the small guy as long as the quality is there at a good price.

And I remember when we made our own. We bought raw cable and soldered the jacks on.

I tend to go for mid-priced cables, and I still occasionally make my own to get the exact length I need.

Notes

I don't want to judge the quality of any product by it's cost alone. It's the quality and cost ratio that gets my business.

I think the point is that there is not much, if any, discernable difference in the sound from one cable to another for guitar amplification. The most important differences are in cable durability, flexibility, and price. Like Notes, I can go to my local music shop, get them to cut a coaxial cable, and put plugs on it for one-third the cost of a Monster cable, and it'll work great. From my perspective, if I don't gig and I only need one cable to last me for 25 years, and I can afford to pay $75 for a Mogami cable, why should it matter to anyone else? [thumbup]

I think the point is that there is not much, if any, discernable difference in the sound from one cable to another for guitar amplification. The most important differences are in cable durability, flexibility, and price. Like Notes, I can go to my local music shop, get them to cut a coaxial cable, and put plugs on it for one-third the cost of a Monster cable, and it'll work great. From my perspective, if I don't gig and I only need one cable to last me for 25 years, and I can afford to pay $75 for a Mogami cable, why should it matter to anyone else? [thumbup]

Some people like to help other people if they can.

You can ride a horse to water... you know the rest.

You are also assuming that my recommendation is not gig worthy. What brought you to that conclusion?

Just one other thing if a cable has very low capacitance it will be very trebly, if its too high it will be muddy. I am sure you would be able to hear the difference. When I used to gig a lot I would use a 20' cable where a 5' would do. The reason was because the short cable was too bright and the longer one just sounded better.

I think it's time I quit posting to this thread. It's starting to get a bit testy.

Good Luck to you and thanks for your input.

I wasn't really directing my post to you BillBob. I was just making a general statement about guitar cables, so I apologize if I sounded testy. My experience is that, unless you get a crappy cord, you're not going to hear any differences. Most beginners don't know this, so it is noteworthy. I think it is worth it to spend the extra money for a durable cord, and if you're like me, a decent cord will last a lifetime.

Hi Cowboy Billy Bob,I'll certainly keep that brand in mind but after 20 + years of gigging,jamming etc. the Road-Hogs aren't showing any signs of wear at all.I guess that we've both proven that you don't have to break the bank to get reliable cables.If my memory serves me correctly a 15' Road-Hog cable costs about $20 which is by no means expensive-especially when compared to its Monster Cables equivalent.Cheers.

I have a Monster 12' cable I bought just a year and a half ago. I paid $40 + tax for it. While practicing yesterday it broke. Thankfully it was replaced for free, no questions asked. Today a friend was over and while jamming together one of my other cables started cutting out.

For the price of these South Creek cables, I might just order one to check them out.

Thanks for the heads up CowboyBillyBob!

They seem like a good deal. They look like you can fix them if you need to. I kind of like the ones with the cloth covering over the rubber. Not quite so easy to trip over.

I just like cables that have a connector that you can repair or replace when you need to.

In the November issue of Premier Guitar there is an article on cables.

Just started reading it yesternight, until I fell asleep.

Will read up more on it tonight.

I still want to order a few of these South Creek ones to try out.

They make 11", 2', 3', and 4' patch cables. Most of my pedal to pedal cable is 9.5" long not including the 1.5" right angle plug. Not much of a difference and am not sure if they include the plug length in their measurement. Still not much of a difference at all. What length are you looking for?

I do not work for or affiliated with this company in any way. I just want to pass on this great cable deal to other musicians.

Yeah but they need a little bit more different lengths.

8" would be. Don't need a foot as that would be too much up keep and make the pedalboard look mess with wires.

They make an 11". I guess that would completely screw up your pedal board. Totally worth paying about $20 more for 3" less cable. The upkeep on an extra 3" is way out of line.

I see your point.

They make an 11". I guess that would completely screw up your pedal board. Totally worth paying about $20 more for 3" less cable. The upkeep on an extra 3" is way out of line.

I see your point.

It's not that I would be willing to try them out. I would.

Archived