Gibson Brands Forums

gibson les paul standard plus 2005

johnb787

What R9 said.

You could always pull out the neck p-up and have a look for the colour-code (it may or may not have one) like this;

VSB.jpg

VSB = Vintage Sunburst; HCSB = Heritage Cherry Sunburst etc...etc...

Nice guitar, as others have said.

P.

RIMBURST = Desert Burst

Desert Burst is the only burst that doesn't came in teardrop.

To solve the mistery: if it has a black back, is a desert burst. The other colors come with cherry or natural back and sides.

RIMBURST = Desert Burst.....Desert Burst is the only burst that doesn't came in teardrop.

Really?

rimburst_zps9ceb8c5c.jpg

If I were you I'd disregard this statement, johnb. It's simply wrong.

There are no fewer than EIGHT colour variations on the rimburst theme in the USA Les Paul section alone - not counting Desertburst - and that's not even looking at individual 'colours available' options.

From the size and quality of the snap as posted It's hard to be 100% certain but I doubt whether the guitar in question is a Rimburst in the first place.

Les Pauls are sprayed by hand and there can be great variation in the spray patterns from one guitar to the next.

FWIW, if I was asked to make a total guess I'd say was Iced Tea.

P.

Really?

rimburst_zps9ceb8c5c.jpg

If I were you I'd disregard this statement, johnb. It's simply wrong.

There are no fewer than EIGHT colour variations on the rimburst theme in the USA Les Paul section alone - not counting Desertburst - and that's not even looking at individual 'colours available' options.

From the size and quality of the snap as posted It's hard to be 100% certain but I doubt whether the guitar in question is a Rimburst in the first place.

Les Pauls are sprayed by hand and there can be great variation in the spray patterns from one guitar to the next.

FWIW, if I was asked to make a total guess I'd say was Iced Tea.

P.

I'm talking about the 2002 model Standard, 2008 Standar and Traditional, the ones you posted are a new Classic Plus and an undefinied Les Paul with an ABR1 bridge and pointers - I bet it's a Custom Shop.

I'm aware of the fact that there are more rimburst color scheme out there, I was just narrowing the field to the bursts that look similar (cherry, Iced tea, light Burst, Honey Burst...) and in the Standard 2002, Standard 2008, Traditional models the only one that came with a rimburst and a black back is the Desert Burst.

In the new 2012 Standard also the Fireball come with a Rimburst, but is not our case.

If we consider all the Les Paul models of all years, certainly there are other Rimburst color scheme.

It's not the first time that I see a Desert Burst lighter than usual, so I bet on Desert Burst.

Bye.

I'm talking about...

You should be more attentive to what you write and choose your words with more care.

Erroneous sweeping generalisations such as the lines you wrote earlier are unhelpful and are a possible source of confusion.

Bye.

[smile]

P.

You should be more attentive to what you write and choose your words with more care.

Erroneous sweeping generalisations such as the lines you wrote earlier are unhelpful and are a possible source of confusion.

Bye.

[smile]

P.

Sorry if English is not my first language.

Sorry if English is not my first language.

Your English is just fine, Lory. It's just that if you are guessing make it clear it's just a guess. On the other hand, if you know for certain then explain why you are so sure.

As I said earlier, I'm not sure how anyone can tell with 100% certainty what colour it is from the picture posted.

The most foolproof way for JohnB to find out is either to e-mail Customer Services - as R9 suggested - or see if the finish code is stamped in a p-up cavity.

Here's the snap in question so we don't all have to go back and forward looking for it;

lafotooriginal_zps0ee3e76c.jpg

It may be one of several finishes - some of which have only been offered for small batches of guitars. I still think it's Iced Tea but it this really IS only a guess. It might, of course, be Desertburst. I wouldn't stake my life on the matter without more factual information.

P.

Archived