Gibson Ripper Rebuild.

Searcy

• 3 weeks later...

So I got the pickups for the 75 Ripper rewound

null_zps4587b159.jpg

IMG_1208_zpsbcb8902d.jpg

IMG_1210_zps212dbbb7.jpg

And potted...

Then it's time to get the wiring sorted out.

null_zpsfffcf948.jpg

I got the choke coils working without rewinding them. That's good

IMG_1209_zps0da16b48.jpg

Then it's time to start installing parts. I was able to save two of the original pots. The third pot and the tone cap had to be replaced.

IMG_1219_zpsb310f54c.jpg

The switch was also dead so I decided to used one of the NOS 6 way Gibson switches I have here at the shop. Wiring it up like a Gibson L6s guitar allowed me to wire up two more pickup selections in addition to the stock 4 found on the ripper.

L9 Ripper Bass

1 "Both pickups in phase/series"

2 "Bridge pickup only"

3 "Both in phase/parallel"

4 "Both out of phase/series".

L6S Guitar

2 "Neck pickup only

4 "Both out of phase/parallel"

5 "Bridge pickup only

6 "Both out of phase/series"

As you can see selections 2 and 4 are not originally offered on the Ripper.

Thank you sir. I wanted to mention that the bass with the tortoise pick gaurd is a 75 made from Alder and weighs in at 8.4 lbs. My 78 Ripper with the black guard is all maple and weighs 10.5 lbs. Very noticeable difference. [scared]

th_Ripmidcut6way_zpse6af05d7.jpg

Click on the above picture to hear a short demo of how the pickups setting sound. This is with the Q control franked to zero which dials out all the mids. The long version of this video will show other tone setting and pickup combinations.

2 "Neck pickup only"

5 "Both out of phase/series"

6 "Bridge pickup only"

• Upvote 1

th_Ripmidcut6way_zpse6af05d7.jpg

Click on the above picture to hear a short demo of how the pickups setting sound. This is with the Q control franked to zero which dials out all the mids. The long version of this video will show other tone setting and pickup combinations.

2 "Neck pickup only"

5 "Both out of phase/series"

6 "Bridge pickup only"

Looking and sounding great! To my ears, (on small speakers), position 5. sounds most excellecent. That is a really fine instrument rescued from an untimely end. Well done again.

Thanks guys, Here is another short clip of what the two tone controls do. You'll have to crank the volume up as I haven't processed the sound yet. This is all going to be edited together for a long video I'm doing about the Ripper basses.

th_TrebMidDemo_zpscf81508d.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I went for the 15 minutes. Excellent stuff! Is your one louder for any reason or was the record signal just a bit hotter?

Very impressive video, and audio. Not to mention the immaculate and totally professional restore/rebuilds!

• Upvote 1

I went for the 15 minutes. Excellent stuff! Is your one louder for any reason or was the record signal just a bit hotter?

Very impressive video, and audio. Not to mention the immaculate and totally professional restore/rebuilds!

Yea, I had a lot of issues making these videos. The 75 bass really had some crap strings on it AND the sound levels were off when I recorded it. I started off using an old copy of Sony Vegas 7 to to the video mixing. I have been using that for many years but it went corrupt while I was working on this. So I bought a new full copy of Sony Vegas 12 Pro and salvaged what I could and put it all back together in the new program. So the sound levels are off and there are some bad jumps and edits.

• 8 years later...
  • 1 year later...