Gibson Brands Forums

Subtle Discovery

CowboyBillyBob1

OK this is going to sound so stupid to many of you but I thought I would share it anyway.

When I play a power chord, let's use A as an example. I have always used my index finger on the E string 5th fret and then barred the e and a notes with my ring finger on the 7th fret 5th and 4th string. Easy enough and it sounds good. Then I saw someone finger it a different way. The index finger is still on the 5th fret of the E string but I then use my ring finger on the 7th fret 5th string and my pinky on the 7th fret 4th string. Believe it or not it sounds way better. I have more control and can add better vibrato to the 5th and 4th strings. Sounds so silly but it really sounds way better with more definition to each note.

Do you think I am going nuts here. I am finding that these subtle things really make a difference.

Like in La Grange by ZZ Top. If you play the chords on an upstroke it kicks ***. I have seen players try to do it on a down stroke and it sounds like poop.

It's the subtle things that seperate a good player from one that rocks.

Sorry if this is stupid and obvious to some but I think, no I know, there are players here that can benefit from this.

That's the way I play power chords :)

But I much prefer the sound of the good old A5 when played with an open A string and the D and G strings at the 2nd fret.

I like finding these subtle nuances too. A less subtle one that I found recently is that although you can mimic Mark Knopfler's style on i.e. the Money for Nothing riff with a pick, actually learning his finger technique suddenly makes it really easy to play and sound perfect. Also leaving a wah-wah pedal in about the middle of it's arc along with a Les Paul and a tube amp nails the tone.

'The Devil is in the detail'

IMO length of string makes a difference in '5' chord delivery

Forgetting ye not the 2 string variety too

And the '4th under' variety when heavily over-driven

It all started in monasteries 1000yrs ago... :blink:

V

:-({|=

Guest Farnsbarns

Like in La Grange by ZZ Top. If you play the chords on an upstroke it kicks ***. I have seen players try to do it on a down stroke and it sounds like poop.

[/Quote]

On the main riff in La Grange the 4th and 3rd strings of the open A major are all that should be hit. More over, they should be chicken picked (fingertips turned slightly under the strings and the strings pulled up, away from the guitar and released). Moving the right hand picking position can allow for a slight harmonic to ring which adds a bit of edge to it towards the big breaks.

I don't think you're going nuts. I think it makes sense that you have more control using your pinky than you would barring those 2 notes with your ring finger. Although by definition I wouldn't call it a power chord at that point I would call it a barre chord . I guess I have always thought of a power chord as a 2 note chord playing only the root and the 5th.

Technically though you are still playing only the root and the 5th but doubling up on the root note by hitting the octave with your pinky. I would call it a barre chord now but that point is moot.

So I get what you are saying. And yes it makes sense you would have more control using your pinky if you want to do anything other than just play the chord and use vibrato as you mentioned.

I'm pretty sure I have done this but have never really thought about it.

I think it's good to think about things like this when practicing. It's a great way to improve and expand.

OK, how about this one. How do you play a D chord with the root on the 5th string of the A string? I put my index finger across all five strings and use my (bent) pinky to play A-D-F# on the 7th frets. My pinky is small enough that I can get the A on the 5th fret to be heard on the top E string. I can actually do this with my ring finger in place of the pinky and still can get that top A note out, but I've used my pinky since I first started playing.

OK, how about this one. How do you play a D chord with the root on the 5th string of the A string? I put my index finger across all five strings and use my (bent) pinky to play A-D-F# on the 7th frets. My pinky is small enough that I can get the A on the 5th fret to be heard on the top E string. I can actually do this with my ring finger in place of the pinky and still can get that top A note out, but I've used my pinky since I first started playing.

So,, I am going to assume that when you said "5th string",, you meant 5th fret.

And I am also going to assume you are talking about a basic D Major.

Instead of the pinky,,, I use my ring finger, and play D Major the way I assume 98% of people play it. Which is without ringing the high E string "A" note of the D major.

Unless you are playing jazz, I think it won't matter. This thread is about power chords,,, I assume jazz chords are another realm? Don't get me wrong,,, I love the jazz chords. I can even pull off a couple... I suck but I try,, lol.

At any rate,, I think my wife is happy that my pinky is too large to cover those notes which allow the high A to ring at the same time.... lol.

But I digress,,, had a couple vinos... lol..

ya,, sue me... (where is the hiccuping emoticon?) [tongue]

This thread is not about power chords. I used that example because I felt it was something pretty easy and we all use them but how a change in fingering is a subtle difference that can make a big difference in how something sounds.

It's about subtle things we can do to make something ordinary sound unique or to get it to sound "correct". It was brought up in a previous thread but I wonder how many players play the opening riff to "Smoke on the Water" incorrecty. A subtle change is all that is needed to do it the right way and an epiphany happens.

Tom Petty often anticipates a chord change by anticipating the nect chord by playing on the & beat like "I Won't Back Down"

Straight 8ths:

EEEE/DDDG/GGGG/GGGG

That anticipated G makes all the difference in the world in getting it to sound right.

So my whole point is that small subtle things yield huge results.

Well I was always the weird guitar playing anyways. I never really followed what normal people do. I'll start a different thread on pinch harmonics. Every time I show guitar players how I do them they look at me with a very weird expression.

Well I was always the weird guitar playing anyways. I never really followed what normal people do. I'll start a different thread on pinch harmonics. Every time I show guitar players how I do them they look at me with a very weird expression.

now I'm curious [rolleyes]

and this is made for things like that, I believe, so bring it on.

Archived