Gibson Brands Forums

Ever did it on a plane ?

EuroAussie

So whos got experience with the mile high club ?

Or at least in the musical sense ? We didnt until today as we returned from Tallinn, Estonia where we had a corprorate gig to Munich. I had the HB TV and my new AJ and was doing my best to sneak them on the deck rather than check them in below.

The Lufthansa flight crew ladies took a look at us and with cheeky grin said, OK, you can bring them on board, but only if you play for us.

We thought they were kidding, but they weren't. So we finished up playing for half hour at 38,000 feet for the flight crew and some business class customers.

Gave a whole new meaning to inflight entertainment, and one of those unique, special moments to be remembered !

Anybody else played on a plane or some really unusual places ?

btw: will do a write up review on the AJ once I have a bit more time with this beast ..

I have pee'd and flushed the toilet on a plane and imagined it 'splattering' on a corn field in Nebraska (in much need of rain) and felt really good with myself!!!!....Ever the 'environmentalist' ya' know.... [thumbup][thumbup][thumbup]

I thought the same, Rod, but it wasn't Nebraska. Does it really just go out a hole in the bottom of the plane? And the same on trains? No - I think Qantas in Aust freezes the lot into a block and drops the whole block from a great height as it is coming into land? 'Look dear, what's that falling towards our house?'

BK777 is usually a sweaty 'seat gripper stare straight ahead type of flyer' that never ever considered playing his guitar that wasn't allowed in the cabin in Aust jets anyway! (I mention that in case you think you are going to do the same thing when you visit Aust again, EA - nope - leave the guitar at home cos they reckon only a madman would bring a guitar on deck.....

BluesKing777.

If I did that they would arrest me as a terrorist for sure. "The guy with the bomb...he's OK, but DON'T even THINK about letting that guy play!"

Hell, maybe I could have prevented some wars by threatening to play. Then again, Maybe that's why they hate Americans so much.

I use to play my Martin backpacker on the coast to coast runs. I learned many a song on those 4 hour legs.I was the Captain and just so you know I had good First Officers, most enjoyed it and those who didn't used their head sets so they didn't have to listen [biggrin]

I use to play my Martin backpacker on the coast to coast runs. I learned many a song on those 4 hour legs.I was the Captain and just so you know I had good First Officers, most enjoyed it and those who didn't used their head sets so they didn't have to listen [biggrin]

Actually I got a bit worried when the Captain said he would like to have a listen also. Made me wonder if were going to end up as a topic for my favourite National Geogrpahic programme, Air Crash Investigation ! But it was great fun, kudos to the crew for being so cool and relaxed about it..

I sit right next to the gate while the crew is boarding, and pick out some little ditties on my guitar and smile at them as they board. They often stop to chat for a few seconds. It means the FA's won't be surprised when I come aboard with my guitar case, which is about 3/4 size and takes up a fair amount of room in the overhead bins.

Since I board with the first group, the bins are empty when I get on the aircraft, and I can always find a spot for the guitar. Now that I have the carbon fiber travel guitar, I don't worry much about it getting squashed.

Never have pulled it out while flying, although the cabin crew sometimes teases me about doing it (playing the guitar, that is).

Yep, thats what the girl at check in told me. Be the first to get onboard and basically steal the overhead cabin space, cheeky but highly effective.

However on way back we were on smaller plane and it would not fit in overhead in the case so it was either strap them on in the seat behind us (for a song) or they go under .... we chose the song .. [thumbup]

I sit right next to the gate while the crew is boarding, and pick out some little ditties on my guitar and smile at them as they board. They often stop to chat for a few seconds. It means the FA's won't be surprised when I come aboard with my guitar case, which is about 3/4 size and takes up a fair amount of room in the overhead bins.

Since I board with the first group, the bins are empty when I get on the aircraft, and I can always find a spot for the guitar. Now that I have the carbon fiber travel guitar, I don't worry much about it getting squashed.

Never have pulled it out while flying, although the cabin crew sometimes teases me about doing it (playing the guitar, that is).

I fly to Austria Jedes Jahr typically via Frankfurt and I have probably taken a guitar 4 times in the last few years. I always break it out and play - the company I go there for usually gets me a decent seat so I can do that sorta thing and it helps the long flight (California to Germany part) go by [biggrin] .

So whos got experience with the mile high club ?

Or at least in the musical sense ? We didnt until today as we returned from Tallinn, Estonia where we had a corprorate gig to Munich. I had the HB TV and my new AJ and was doing my best to sneak them on the deck rather than check them in below.

The Lufthansa flight crew ladies took a look at us and with cheeky grin said, OK, you can bring them on board, but only if you play for us.

We thought they were kidding, but they weren't. So we finished up playing for half hour at 38,000 feet for the flight crew and some business class customers.

Gave a whole new meaning to inflight entertainment, and one of those unique, special moments to be remembered !

Anybody else played on a plane or some really unusual places ?

btw: will do a write up review on the AJ once I have a bit more time with this beast ..

Wow man, this sounds like fun! Especially having those ladies looking forward to hear you play and all [thumbup] . So, no never done it but...still got to take the plane to begin with [laugh]

Archived