Gibson Brands Forums

Checking Guitar as luggage?

matonanjin

Flying to Chicago tomorrow and I'll be there for over a week, maybe two. I don't want to go with out practicing that long. So I am going to have to check my guitar as luggage. Anyone done that before? Should I have any concerns? I am checking a Fender Strat that has a TSA compliant lockable hardcase.

Any advise?

Flying to Chicago tomorrow and I'll be there for over a week, maybe two. I don't want to go with out practicing that long. So I am going to have to check my guitar as luggage. Anyone done that before? Should I have any concerns? I am checking a Fender Strat that has a TSA compliant lockable hardcase.

Any advise?

Be sure to stuff the case with as many t-shirts/rags/whatever you can find that's soft. Even if the case fits the guitar well, you still want to completely eliminate the possibility of Anything moving. Especially considering the amount of "care" they handle your luggage with. Oh, and put extra support behind the headstock. That's your biggest concern I would say.

-Ryan

Be sure to stuff the case with as many t-shirts/rags/whatever you can find that's soft. Even if the case fits the guitar well, you still want to completely eliminate the possibility of Anything moving. Especially considering the amount of "care" they handle your luggage with. Oh, and put extra support behind the headstock. That's your biggest concern I would say.

-Ryan

Good advice there, especially support the neck. Also, check the airlines policy on damage, especially since you have a TSA case. I'd also reduce the tension on the neck by tuning down a half step or so. And sorry, couldn't resist... [biggrin]

Good advice there, especially support the neck. Also, check the airlines policy on damage, especially since you have a TSA case. I'd also reduce the tension on the neck by tuning down a half step or so. And sorry, couldn't resist... [biggrin]

OMG! Thanks a lot! [scared] :angry:

Carry the guitar with you all the way to the gate, they will gate check it for you - much better for your instrument than the luggage conveyor belts,and corners. If you are really lucky they will stow it onboard in one of the pilots closets. But, gate check is way better than luggage check - it'll be one of the last things loaded - with all the strollers - and one of the first things off. I have done this dozens of times without issue.

Carry the guitar with you all the way to the gate, they will gate check it for you - much better for your instrument than the luggage conveyor belts,and corners. If you are really lucky they will stow it onboard in one of the pilots closets. But, gate check is way better than luggage check - it'll be one of the last things loaded - with all the strollers - and one of the first things off. I have done this dozens of times without issue.

That sounds like a great idea. You are able to get it by security with no problem?

To the OP please note that lots of times case makes say the locks are TSA approved but not the case itself. If you have to check it for any reason you should get an anvil case or one of these.

Here is some good info you should read.

7 Things about Flying with your guitar

Good luck

I wouldn't check a guitar in a standard case. I've checked guitars but in one of these.

flightcase.jpg

If you plan your trip carefully you might feel more comfortable shipping your guitar in advance using FedEx or UPS or dare I say, even USPS. Even then sh*t happens so it's never 100% your equipment will travel well in a case meant to protect it in your family room.

Well at least its a Fender Strat, those guitars are built like tanks. I think the headstock is the least of your worries, now if it were a LP thats a different story.

I'm pretty sure the weakest points on Any solidbody guitar are the neck joint and the headstock. The body isn't going to snap in half.

-Ryan

That sounds like a great idea. You are able to get it by security with no problem?

Never had an issue. Just stick it on the belt to go through the x-ray machine - did have to open it once, but just once. Just take care that there is no forbidden anything inside the little case compartment.

If it's a substantial case, just make sure you cover up the "Fender" logo with a bumpersticker that says "Estaban."

Better yet, get a cheap travel guitar for future excursions.

If in Chicargo, one could select a different guitar shop, every night, then go 'try out' their wares. Some shops like accomplished guitarist to stop by to make their goods sound good.

Better yet, get a cheap travel guitar for future excursions.

If in Chicargo, one could select a different guitar shop, every night, then go 'try out' their wares. Some shops like accomplished guitarist to stop by to make their goods sound good.

I didn't get a cheap guitar but this is exactly what I did. I started learning guitar with a Yamaha Pacifica that Santa brought me for Christmas. I got spooked about checking my Stat (or My LP). So I put my Yamaha in the Strat case and checked it. I was a lot more comfortable doing that and it made the trip unblemished. I did take everyone's advise regarding packing, down tuning etc.

Thanks to everyone for your responses/advise.

Btw, no shops want me to stop by. I won't make their good sound good!!!!!!!!!!

If I'm away more than 5 days I always travel with my guitar, but American lets you bring it on board with no hassles. I've never had them give me any problem what so ever. I always ask to store it in the first class coat closet as soon as I get onboard and have been lucky most times there is room. If not there is another closet usually in between first and coach and last resort there is one in back of coach. It will also fit in the overhead of most of their planes.

Has absolutely nothing to do with flying. But I am staying with my son in Brookfield, Il. Strictly as a curiosity I did a Google search on "guitar lesson Brookfield, il" . A place called "Sound Education" came up. I mapped it out and it is 5 blocks from my son's house! I called them up and they had a time slot available with "our most popular instructor".

It was kind of rainy or I would have walked. My daughter in law took me.

I just had a great lesson! I'm going to try and get another lesson or two in before I fly home.

Has absolutely nothing to do with flying. But I am staying with my son in Brookfield, Il. Strictly as a curiosity I did a Google search on "guitar lesson Brookfield, il" . A place called "Sound Education" came up. I mapped it out and it is 5 blocks from my son's house! I called them up and they had a time slot available with "our most popular instructor".

It was kind of rainy or I would have walked. My daughter in law took me.

I just had a great lesson! I'm going to try and get another lesson or two in before I fly home.

You know that there is not a bad idea. Taking a on-off lesson while on vacation. You never know what new licks another teacher can teach you. If he isn't so hot, you can just chalk it up to paying for a mediocre jam session / entertainment. And maybe, just maybe you taught the teacher a 'lick or two'.

One day while waiting for the plane to unload passengers at a stop-over I looked out my window to watch the baggage handlers at "work".I was appalled when I watched one handler pick up a guitar case and sling it with all his might at the top of the pile on the luggage trolley when he could have just simply turned and placed it on a large bare spot on the trolley right next to him.It was obvious that this Neanderthal was intent on doing damage to the poor guitar.I shuddered at the thought of what harm was done to the guitar because this idiot was having a bad day or was stoned,pissed drunk or a combination of all the aformentioned and what the owner would think when he saw what was probably his pride and joy,wrecked.

-Ryan

That is great advice, but if you check it in as luggage, dosen't TSA require the case to be unlocked? If TSA has to open up the case, then how would you be certain that they will pack it up properly? I know TSA can randomly open up luggage without your presence. I've seen how those TSA workers are, they are like neanderthals when handling luggages.

You know that there is not a bad idea. Taking a on-off lesson while on vacation. You never know what new licks another teacher can teach you. If he isn't so hot, you can just chalk it up to paying for a mediocre jam session / entertainment. And maybe, just maybe you taught the teacher a 'lick or two'.

I guaranty you I did not teach him any licks!!!!!

That is great advice, but if you check it in as luggage, dosen't TSA require the case to be unlocked? If TSA has to open up the case, then how would you be certain that they will pack it up properly? I know TSA can randomly open up luggage without your presence. I've seen how those TSA workers are, they are like neanderthals when handling luggages.

No. I locked it but the lock is somehow TSA approved so they can unlock it.

Archived