Gibson Brands Forums

How do you guys feel about Burstbucker Pro pups?

Twiz

I got a set (zebras -sweet!) as part of the deal when I sold my black LP Special last week. I'm thinking about dropping them in my other natural finish LP Special. I've got the stock 490R and 498T Alnico's in there now. Anybody love 'em? Hate 'em? I've read good things, and I like the demo vids I've seen on YouTube...

I got a set (zebras -sweet!) as part of the deal when I sold my black LP Special last week. I'm thinking about dropping them in my other natural finish LP Special. I've got the stock 490R and 498T Alnico's in there now. Anybody love 'em? Hate 'em? I've read good things, and I like the demo vids I've seen on YouTube...

I ain't an expert on humbucks...don't have a lot and haven't replaced a lot to tell the differences.

Having said that, guitars I have played with them I tend to like them a lot. They are both bright and punchy.

In particular, a buddt bought a Bonamossa Gold-top Epi that had Burstbuckers (Pro?). That thing was a blast.

My Epi Les Paul Trad. Pro has the Epi made equivalent to the Burstbucker and it's absolutely amazing how close these pickups come to the tone of the original Seth Lover designed PAFs.I often compare the sound of mine to the sound of Robert Fripp's '59 PAF on King Crimson's first album on songs like"I Talk To The Wind" and "Epitaph". The best Les Paul I ever played was an Epi 1959 Tribute with the Burstbuckers,only for I had already bought 3 guitars and 2 amps that year I would've snapped that up in a second.It broke my heart to leave the music store without that sweet guitar.The guitar was sold in under a week,obviously someone else was enamoured with it.

Hey... I got the 490R/498T set up in a Studio LP... Love them great bite. I just got a Midtown Custom with burstbuckers 1&2 not the pro. The 1/2 have a very slight mellower sound. Looks the Pro's are very close to the 490R&498T you might not hear any change.... But hell its all good...ROCK&ROLL!!!!

I got 490 & 498 in my ES333 and love them they give this guitar a full rocking sound

and can do Ted Nugent without problems and also a sweet blues tone.

Had Burstbuckers in my LP Standard and did not like them.

A set of Bareknuckle PG Blues fixed that.

My BB Pro's and 498T/490R pickups are in SG's. The BB pros have an Alnico V like the 498T, I find the BB pro bridge to be brighter, less mids and not as hot as the 498T. The BB pro neck is sweet and a little hotter and not muddy like the 490R.

I like them both. As with all thing differents guitars, amps and ears will make them sound different.

Guest Farnsbarns

The ones in all the RIs I've played are just amazing pups. Worth noting that those sold separately are not the same. I've never knowingly played or even heard them so can't comment.

The BB Pros are have Alnico V magnets, they are brighter and clearer than the BB 1,2 and 3.

The added output of the magnets make them good for crunchy sounds, they also cut through the mix.

When recording through modeling in the computer the added brightness and clarity for the BB Pros sound better.

My 2011 Studio has the Burstbucker Pros, which I like as a feature on the model. The pickups overall were too hot at factory settings for my style of playing and I back them off quite a bit on the guitar. Move them closer to the body. Seems to me that the difference in the neck and bridge pickups is more or less mids. I don't know if that's accurate, but the neck pickup seems to have more mids compared to the bridge at comparable height from the strings. Not necessarily more or hotter output one than the other, rather more mids, muddier on neck, airy kind of more trebly on bridge at comparable tone and volume settings.

Also, I don't want to fool with the adjustable pole pieces (yet) because the cost of each pu is like two bones and they're wax potted right? Does adjusting pole pieces affect the wax potting? It seems a little bit of wax came out when I did this with other humbuckers.

Got a 2008 Standard with BB pros.. AWESOME guitar..

The weird thing was when I first got them they seemed a bit muddy to me and I wasnt happy at fist.. But they seemed to ware in (or I just got use dto the sound lol) and I love it now :)

My 2012 LP Studio I just got came with them installed. Right off the bat, first thing I noticed was they're VERY bright. almost too bright. I play classic rock mostly and I find myself always rolling the tone back on the bridge to 7 or 8.

A first I didn't like them AT ALL and considered returning my guitar for one with the 490/498 combo. But after messing around with them for a couple weeks, I've fallen in love with them. They respond SO WELL to the tone controls that I can get almost any sound out of them (even an almost-strat clean chirp with the bridge tone on 10) and they're very versatile. They define every note and give you a very full sound. The neck pickup with some dirt and the volume rolled back to 6 will make something inside of you melt.

I now see why they're one of the most expensive Gibson pickups offered!

My 2012 LP Studio I just got came with them installed. Right off the bat, first thing I noticed was they're VERY bright. almost too bright. I play classic rock mostly and I find myself always rolling the tone back on the bridge to 7 or 8.

A first I didn't like them AT ALL and considered returning my guitar for one with the 490/498 combo. But after messing around with them for a couple weeks, I've fallen in love with them. They respond SO WELL to the tone controls that I can get almost any sound out of them (even an almost-strat clean chirp with the bridge tone on 10) and they're very versatile. They define every note and give you a very full sound. The neck pickup with some dirt and the volume rolled back to 6 will make something inside of you melt.

I now see why they're one of the most expensive Gibson pickups offered!

yeah they are great pu's and I've no desire to look elsewhere! They must be bright because I have the tones on about 3 or 4 and that's okay, but not because I want to, because there's a line hum with the tones turned past 3 or 4. 2011 LP Studio

I'm not a big fan, but that's just me. I prefer the Burstbucker 1 and 2s, or the 57' Classics. Overall, I prefer aftermarket pickups. The DiMarzio Super Distortion is still my favorite, but I don't know if anyone else wants their axe to sound like a chainsaw like yours truly. Even though DiMarzio makes my favorite pickup, I think Seymour is the best for their offerings. There are many great boutique makers out there (Bareknuckle and Rio Grande are awesome) too.

I like Norlin-era Les Paul Customs with Super Distortions ran through an old Boss SD-1 (among other pedals) and a Marshall DSL-100 (as in the original model, not the piece of Asian-made crap of now), not exactly a hot rig nowadays. But it's what I like, and I like goin' against the grain. I mean, if it was 1990, I'd fit right in, but today it seems to either be about the boutique stuff and small amps or high-gain scooped-mids amps with basswood guitars loaded with EMGs.

I love the Burstbucker Pro's. I have a set in my Les Paul Push-tone.

I think if I was to buy another Gibson I'd be looking for something with 57 Classics instead, but the Burstbuckers are the best humbuckers I've got in any of the guitars I have right now in my opinion. I like the pickups in my SG Special too (490's I think), but the burstbuckers get me the tones I want from my Les Paul.

I had 490's in my SG when I got it, did't like em at all, and what few guitars with BB's I have tried I am not super impressed. About the only stock Pup from Gibson I like are 57 classics.

Seymour Duncan SH2's are my go to for aftermarket humbuckers,and their p-90s are great as well.

They have been around a long time and I trust their products,

Yea, I was going to put in a set of zebra Seymour Duncans, but then I got the BB Pros on that trade. I'll switch 'em out and see how I like the sound. If I'm not too into it, I'll sell them and get the Seumour Duncan pups.

Archived