Gibson Brands Forums

Neighbors just pounded on my door...

daveinspain

Cool!!!!

Some would disagree with me, but those little Roland Cube amps (I like the Cube 80 as it has a big enough speaker to be realistic) are killer for practice. Good pickups will make em' sound like a Marshall if you want that.

A number of years ago my wife and I were the last people living in our apartment building as the owner was renovating all the other units as he prepared to sell them as condos. With my wife not yet home early one evening I took advantage of the opportunity to put some Neil Young and Crazy Horse on the stereo, crank my amp and play along. Loud. Real loud. I didn't know until I ran into my landlord the next day that he evidently had spent quite a bit of time pounding on our door as he was in the process of showing a couple of prospective buyers around the building. Oops.

Guest Farnsbarns

In our last house I was playing at domestic levels about half 8 one night and the neighbour shouted through the wall "turn it off or I'm coming round". I shouted back "I'll put the kettle on", turned up a bit and carried on. He didn't come round.

Headphones?

Works for me. I play in my headphones alot. I keep peace with my family better.

(wife mostly, my kids like when I play..lol)

Sure it's not ideal but I get pleasing sounds out of my little line 6 pod and my fingers are getting worked. If it weren't for headphones, I wouldn't have the callouses I do.

And I play as loud as I want.

Works for me. I play in my headphones alot. I keep peace with my family better.

(wife mostly, my kids like when I play..lol)

Sure it's not ideal but I get pleasing sounds out of my little line 6 pod and my fingers are getting worked. If it weren't for headphones, I wouldn't have the callouses I do.

And I play as loud as I want.

Yeah, I'm not a real fan because it's just not the same, but on those nights when Mrs. G hits the sack at 7 or 8 because she's getting up at 5 for the 7am flight, well, the phones come in handy. [thumbup]

I got a killer tone from a Roland Cube 80 (or whatever they're called) with this sweet 1985 LP Custom (in rare tobacco sunburst w. white switch ring/tip, creme pickup rings, and gold speed knobs! Very Ace Frehley-ish, which is always cool!) w. original Tim Shaw humbuckers that might be mine (asking price is $2600, but I think I am gonna be able to get it for $2000) at a local guitar store today. Had it on the Rectifier setting with the gain all the way up, treble/bass a little above 6, and mids cranked w. no effects. Did a pretty convincing Marshall, which is perfect for home practice. Now, I'll take my Marshall heads over that any day of the week, but for practice, those Rolands kill. Better than Line 6, IMHO.

Still had a bit of a solid-state tone, but I was getting off, and it had good sustain.

As it turns out my Rebel 30 has a silent mode... There is a cannon out on the back side of the amp for recording, very cool feature. I can crank the amp to sounding great levels and run it into my board. So now I can either play at low levels on my studio monitors or use head phones... Should have thought of that earlier... ](*,)

My next door neighbor is about 90 years old, Tells me, "What music? I'm half deaf, I can't hear any of it, I wish I could I love listening to music"

My studio is in the back side of the house, on the basement level (walk out). Dorothy is the neighbors only house that is in reasonable ear shot.

My wife doesn't seem to ever mind the constant din of noise that I surround the house with.

then again, I'm rarely doing that much later than 9 or so..

I got a killer tone from a Roland Cube 80...

I'm renting the bottom floor of a three story house now until the end of the year. There is a "no loud music" clause in my contract, so I'm using headphones through my Cube 80XL (XL stands for extra loud). I'll be in a house in the country in January when I'll be able to blast through tubes. I like my Roland a lot (esp. clean), but I like my Mesa Express 5:50 a LOT more.

I'm renting the bottom floor of a three story house now until the end of the year. There is a "no loud music" clause in my contract, so I'm using headphones through my Cube 80XL (XL stands for extra loud). I'll be in a house in the country in January when I'll be able to blast through tubes. I like my Roland a lot (esp. clean), but I like my Mesa Express 5:50 a LOT more.

They will never replace a tube job, but, as I've said before, they're killer for practice IMHO.

And, unlike some of the Marshall MGs (no offense to those who use them), they will never break.

Archived