Gibson Brands Forums

This guy nailed Yngwie?

bluesguitar65

Watcha think?

I think if I had heard it without seeing it I'd have had absolutely no hesitation in saying it was Malmsteen playing.

I'm very far from being terribly knowledgeable about YM's oevre so forgive my ignorance but that sounded exactly 'right' to my ears.

I actually like the sheer pomposity of the whole thing and it almost goes without saying that the dexterity required to pull that off is stunning.

P.

I think if I had heard it without seeing it I'd have had absolutely no hesitation in saying it was Malmsteen playing.

I'm very far from being terribly knowledgeable about YM's oevre so forgive my ignorance but that sounded exactly 'right' to my ears.

I actually like the sheer pomposity of the whole thing and it almost goes without saying that the dexterity required to pull that off is stunning.

P.

I agree. He actually played with feeling and not overly shredding to wank off, so to speak, but skillfully played the piece like Yngwie would.

I agree. He actually played with feeling and not overly shredding to wank off, so to speak, but skillfully played the piece like Yngwie would.

Ya but can he rub his belly and pat his head at the same time......pfft....doubts!...j/k, ya, he's good.

Guest Farnsbarns

My wife confirms he is a he. I wouldn't dare contradict her.

In terms of the music, yes, he seems to have nailed the cold, unfeeling, clinical sound of (s)malmstein just perfectly :P .

Not many people can do Yngwie. He's got his own style.

One of the things I love about him (Yngwie) is that he doesn't just stand there like a geek and play, he's very acrobatic onstage. Playing those licks and running around like that is very hard to pull off.

He's nowhere as fluent as Yngwie. His timing's off. I'm not saying he's crap. Just not as fluent.

You may well be right, lashurst. Certainly he himself thinks there's considerable room for improvement.

Personally I'd not know where to start trying to offer advice to him but then, as I said earlier, I'm no expert where YM is concerned.

And in some ways I wish I had his number of years left in which I could refine my skills further.......

P.

You may well be right, lashurst. Certainly he himself thinks there's considerable room for improvement.

Personally I'd not know where to start trying to offer advice to him but then, as I said earlier, I'm no expert where YM is concerned.

And in some ways I wish I had his number of years left in which I could refine my skills further.......

P.

I just wish I could play as well as this guy, mistakes and all.

Guest Farnsbarns

I just wish I could play as well as this guy, mistakes and all.

Oh, I suspect many of us here would express a similar sentiment, BB.....I certainly would........LOL!

[wink]

P.

I wish I had his technical ability, but I would definitely put it to different use.

P.

Someone evidently thought this post was bad enough (somehow) that it deserved to be awarded a minus!

:blink:

[lol]

Am I missing something?

Not that it matters a Rat's Fart but could the person responsible please explain why so as I can ensure I don't do 'it' (whatever it was) again? I'd hate to upset anyone's sensitivities twice...

Thanks in advance!

P.

Someone evidently thought this post was bad enough (somehow) that it deserved to be awarded a minus!

:blink:

[lol]

Am I missing something?

Not that it matters a Rat's Fart but could the person responsible please explain why so as I can ensure I don't do 'it' (whatever it was) again? I'd hate to upset anyone's sensitivities twice...

Thanks in advance!

P.

Could be just a mis-aimed centimetre and a click too quick!

P.

No need for a - here. You could achieve this level if you spent the time etc. But do you not think that some people can just do it? I've seen players that can play great within a few months. I'll never be able do it. It's a about hand/eye/brain co-ordination.

...do you not think that some people can just do it? I've seen players that can play great within a few months. I'll never be able do it. It's a about hand/eye/brain co-ordination.

Oh, I'm sure there are those so gifted, lashurst, although like yourself I wouldn't count myself amongst their number...

Even with a month of Sundays to practice I strongly doubt I could ever achieve that level of dexterity coupled with speed but as I don't ever wish to play that style of music the question is purely academic.

I'm more in the PG / BB King sector of the speedometer. Fewer notes chosen with much more feeling. But then I come from the dim-and-distant past when 'Flashy' meant setting the guitar on fire...

I know this will make me sound an Old Grouch but I'd like to hear him play the same piece with 'clean' settings. Distortion (as, happily, I know well !) can cover a multitude of sins.

I suspect he'd still sound good, though.

Echoing what Farns said slightly earlier, If I DID have that level of skill then I'd be doing something else with it. In my case it would almost certainly be making a genuine effort to learn Gypsy-Jazz as opposed to just listening to it.

It gets more play-time hereabouts than any other genre (Tchavolo Schmidt is on as I type) and it's the one form of music that, I think, in achieving a competent level of playing would give me the greatest pleasure.

But I'd take nothing away from the guy. I will happily bow to the wisdom of those more familiar with YM's music and their appraisal of the performance in question, but I still think he did very well indeed.

[smile]

P.

Archived