Gibson Brands Forums

Special Gibson Forum Guitar for Forumites???!!!!

onewilyfool

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they have made 13 fret re-issues...in any case....here' the article :

http://www.fretboardjournal.com/blog/1927-gibson-nick-lucas-special

Wily,

My reading indicates that makers other than Gibson have made 13 fret Nicks.

In any event, I'd much rather prefer to have a reissue of the later, larger L-00 body style. Plus, I've never met a 13-fretter that I liked.

Wily,

My reading indicates that makers other than Gibson have made 13 fret Nicks.

In any event, I'd much rather prefer to have a reissue of the later, larger L-00 body style. Plus, I've never met a 13-fretter that I liked.

Jt....I defer to your experience....this is getting fun!!!!!!

That's nice, but in black with.................................

Someone needs to find some parameters that Gibson will make within - or a 13 fret necker may cost $80000 in re-tooling - I don't know this, but I imagine they have 'templates'.

Best Guitar Factory, China will make it for you cheap, otherwise...

BluesKing777.

$80k in new tooling or just some old fashioned handwork

Oddly enough, with all those J-45 versions, Bozeman never made a 12 fret J-45, except for the very expensive Jackson Browne sig model, which does not use mahogany. Years ago a lady named Lynn who did CNC programming and other work at the factory built a 12 fret J-45 with a big fat neck. It was possibly, as Bill Gonder avers, the best guitar Gibson ever built. I have played it and it is amazing. Jackson Browne keeps trying to buy it off Bill. There was an internal political squabble over this instrument and the fact that Lynn in effect 'designed' it (i.e. chose a new combination of existing parameters) and as a result this particular spec has effectively been suppressed. It would be easy to produce them, since the cnc programs for all the parts are already in the system, you just have to order it up. If we did it without any extra ornamentation, it would be quite cheap, probably not that much more than a standard j-45. This would be a great candidate for the forum guitar: affordable, unique, and incredible sounding.

Oddly enough, with all those J-45 versions, Bozeman never made a 12 fret J-45, except for the very expensive Jackson Browne sig model, which does not use mahogany. Years ago a lady named Lynn who did CNC programming and other work at the factory built a 12 fret J-45 with a big fat neck. It was possibly, as Bill Gonder avers, the best guitar Gibson ever built. I have played it and it is amazing. Jackson Browne keeps trying to buy it off Bill. There was an internal political squabble over this instrument and the fact that Lynn in effect 'designed' it (i.e. chose a new combination of existing parameters) and as a result this particular spec has effectively been suppressed. It would be easy to produce them, since the cnc programs for all the parts are already in the system, you just have to order it up. If we did it without any extra ornamentation, it would be quite cheap, probably not that much more than a standard j-45. This would be a great candidate for the forum guitar: affordable, unique, and incredible sounding.

Now that is a very interesting story Jerry. Id be up for that.

Now that is a very interesting story Jerry. Id be up for that.

Yeah we absolutely should do it. Like the UMGF guitar, it is a hole in the existing lineup. Somehow they just never made the 12 fret version of this most iconic Gibson. Jackson Browne noticed this sound - 12 fret mahogany round shoulder dread - in the Roy Smecks.

The 12 fret configuration puts the bridge right smack in the center of the lower bout and you get fat, round tone there and enhanced bass. The heavy neck is a like a counterweight opposing the membrane of the top. The sound is amazing.

like you say jackson browne played those old smecks , so why , when he is asked to put his name on a guitar , did he not ask for this 12 fret mahogany combination?

is there a reason behind this ?

It's a long story. Suffice it to say Gibson did not cover itself in glory. The JB sig guitars came out well, I have tried them and they are good sounding, if pricey. I liked the 12 fret j-45 that Bill G has better.

like you say jackson browne played those old smecks , so why , when he is asked to put his name on a guitar , did he not ask for this 12 fret mahogany combination?

is there a reason behind this ?

The Jackson signature model is a Roy Smeck clone, which essentially is a 12 fret J-45. Gibson built Jackson prototypes with backs and sides of rosewood, mahogany, and walnut. He chose walnut for the production model.

When I was on the road with Jackson for my Fretboard Journal story, I played the prototypes (and 2 of Jackson's original Smecks).

The Jackson signature model is a Roy Smeck clone, which essentially is a 12 fret J-45. Gibson built Jackson prototypes with backs and sides of rosewood, mahogany, and walnut. He chose walnut for the production model.

When I was on the road with Jackson for my Fretboard Journal story, I played the prototypes (and 2 of Jackson's original Smecks).

i'm not trying to be cynical and after all i dont think i've read anything untoward about the jackson browne model at all , but would the choice have been his and his alone ? ie. does gibson have a big pile of walnut they need to use ? :)

or maybe jackson just couldn't stand the thoughts of ordinary folk having a guitar thats as nice as his !

as an aside jt , and i doubt youre a man to kiss and tell anyway but , was he as easy to get on with as he appears to be ? seems a very unnaffected guy considering . i'm not a huge fan of that californian rock sound from the '70's but his solo acoustic stuff blows me away and makes it clear just how great a songwriter he is.

cheers

And which of the Smeck varieties did you like the most JT ... the orginals, or prototypes, and with which woods ?

Did JB go with Walnut simply because he liked the tonal element the most out of the possible tone wood varieties ?

btw: do you have any good JB groupie stories, or maybe better not, sixty year old groupies is not that entertaining .... ;-)

And which of the Smeck varieties did you like the most JT ... the orginals, or prototypes, and with which woods ?

Did JB go with Walnut simply because he liked the tonal element the most out of the possible tone wood varieties ?

btw: do you have any good JB groupie stories, or maybe better not, sixty year old groupies is not that entertaining .... ;-)

i'm sure jackson browne doesnt have to settle for 60 year old groupies ... he's a very handsome man , not to mention the squillion pound bank account

i'm sure jackson browne doesnt have to settle for 60 year old groupies ... he's a very handsome man , not to mention the squillion pound bank account

But do you reckon 20 year olds rockup to his gigs, would they even know who he is ?

I thought Jackson Browne made no bones about the fact that the choice of walnut was not only for it's sound quality, but, as a sustainable species, for it's environmental-friendliness as well.

Also- I think the idea of a 12-fret J-45 is fantastic. Now, make that in a wide (deep) body

like the JB, with the neck of a Banner (full profile, not just nut width), & you've got a real winner!

Well, I liked them all! I've got a recording of Jackson, David Lindley, and myself sitting in his dressing room passing the guitars around, playing them, and commenting. One thing is very clear: one of the players is not in the same league as the other two!

The originals knocked my socks off. Jackson has been through about a dozen original Smecks and kept and travels with his two favorites.

I also liked all 3 of the prototypes. Really great guitars! Jackson said he picked walnut because it falls tonally right between the mahogany and rosewood. So, he clearly picked the walnut for tone.

He was incredibly charming and gracious. My 17 year old daughter did some of the photography for the piece and Jackson was really sweet to her. She ended up writing up the experience as her college application essay.

How about a short scale 12 fret L-00 blackie? The Gibson version of the UMGF guitar, sort of. I've been wanting one of those but the vintage ones cost a bundle, often need too much repair, etc.

Ooh. Was'nt warming to this thread til I read that one, Jerry. Cant play but I want one...

My guess is that Gibson will not do this. What we could do is find a reputable 5 star dealer that is "in" with the guys that make decisions up there in Bozeman.... and maybe also knows Ren personally....... hmmmmm Modoc?

I would love to help. Our shop has done tons of special builds in the past and it has always gone smoothly. I just call Don and it's done! lol. They did a great job on an L-00 that they made for me, custom label and everything. I don't know how the forum would decide what dealer to use, but I would be happy to help. :)

Keith

I would love to help. Our shop has done tons of special builds in the past and it has always gone smoothly. I just call Don and it's done! lol. They did a great job on an L-00 that they made for me, custom label and everything. I don't know how the forum would decide what dealer to use, but I would be happy to help. :)

Keith

Keith...can you guys get this "Special forum member appreciation" J-45 12 fretter or L-00 guitars (these seem to be the ones getting the most traction) for around $2k????....say if we had a bulk order of 20 or more? So far, it doesn't seem folks are clammoring for lots of bling or heavy detailing...so pretty straight forward guitars.....maybe some interesting fret markers from the past ( Nick Lucas style for example) to make it stand out. Or all black like some have suggested.

Hmmmm....an all black, 12 fret, Nick Lucas fretmarker, "the Gibson" old script headstock, J-45????....Coooool

Can we get some input from the Gibson Staff?

Archived