Gibson Brands Forums

Special Gibson Forum Guitar for Forumites???!!!!

onewilyfool

I'm curious as to how the series of guitars you are involved in will differ from the Legend Series already in production? I would be interested in knowing the names of the folks in Montana you are working with now that Ren has left the building. Do you have a time set for their introduction? Do you think they will fall in the price range of the "Legend" series? Will you and the luthier be signing the labels? Will single guitars be available or will they be a set?

I'm saving my money.

Hogeye,

Thanks for asking! PM me for details that aren't public.

The short answer to what we are doing that is different: models and wood combos that have not yet been done and 2) through my research, I've been able to identify particularly interesting batches/FONs that have desireable and rare groupings of features. So, we'll be doing reissues of guitars that were one batch wonders that have desirable features.

Right now, it looks like Gibson and I will go public with all details on Feb. 16 and will unveil the guitars at summer NAMM in Nashville.

PM me for details. It's a cool project on a lot of levels, including Gibson's commitment to doing some public good.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as this idea appeals to me, I need another guitar right now about as much as I need another hole in my head. I'm going to wait until we see what the "JT banner re-issues" will be before jumping on the band wagon for an AGF guitar. It may be that one of these banner guitars will fit the bill.

As much as this idea appeals to me, I need another guitar right now about as much as I need another hole in my head. I'm going to wait until we see what the "JT banner re-issues" will be before jumping on the band wagon for an AGF guitar. It may be that one of these banner guitars will fit the bill.

I find myself agreeing with this point of view too. Some of the K-Gals guitars might be too cool to miss out on.

Fred

I also have 4 guitars currently at Bozeman serving as templates for the Banner reissue/Kalamazoo Gals project that will soon be unveiled....<snip> in any event, let's design a guitar or two!

Just so we don't waste a lot of time and energy barking up the wrong tree...can you tell us which of your guitars are in Bozeman being analyzed?

Sound like a cool project...

good (and timely) point, Nick.

Just so we don't waste a lot of time and energy barking up the wrong tree...can you tell us which of your guitars are in Bozeman being analyzed?

Sound like a cool project...

A good point and fair request. Here they are:

1) 1943 LG-1. These are the ultra rare, X-braced, all mahogany LGs with the multiple purflings front and back and fancy rosettes that graced all first year Banners (begun in 1942 and shipped in 1943). A pic:

CIMG5490.JPG

2) 1942 J-45. Like the LG, this first year model has the multiple purflings front and back and fancy rosette and hasn't been reissued before.

3) 1944 maple J-45. Again, not reissued before.

4) 1943 SJ. This is from the single batch, FON 2735, with broad purflings (a double dose of the purflings used only on the SJ-100) and not reissued before. (It's also the only Banner Gibson that was reinspected by the original WWII inspector!). A pic:

2548739530033810361bHtYfV_fs.jpg

All were used on the companion CD recording for my book.

A good point and fair request. Here they are:

1) 1943 LG-1. These are the ultra rare, X-braced, all mahogany LGs with the multiple purflings front and back and fancy rosettes that graced all first year Banners (begun in 1942 and shipped in 1943). A pic:

2) 1942 J-45. Like the LG, this first year model has the multiple purflings front and back and fancy rosette and hasn't been reissued before.

3) 1944 maple J-45. Again, not reissued before.

4) 1943 SJ. This is from the single batch, FON 2735, with broad purflings (a double dose of the purflings used only on the SJ-100) and not reissued before. (It's also the only Banner Gibson that was reinspected by the original WWII inspector!). A pic:

2548739530033810361bHtYfV_fs.jpg

All were used on the companion CD recording for my book.

Hmm,,,,,since I'm on a bit of an SJ roll right now, I can see that my Fuller's 1943 SJ re-issue might have to leave the herd for this new banner SJ. I anxiously await the details of that particular guitar.

Even the LG-1? I would think there's an opportunity to offer an entry-level Gibson or an entry-level Gibson for the higher end?

This is the x-braced mahogany version. A totally different animal from the later ladder-braced guitar.

I'm not kidding...there is a brand new J-45 at our local store for under $2k....so what is the big deal for a 12 fret J-45, with just one or two features like a headstock or fretboard upgrade???? Why would this push the price to $3K???? If we get, say 20 orders, minimal paperwork, a little factory appreciation from Gibson for the loyal fans in this forum???? If this can't be done at this price break, I wouldn't understand why!!???

Why don't we simply get hold of Terrapin and have them crank out a fistful of "Gaffer" truss rod covers? I'd be hard pressed to lay out 2 or 3 grand on another guitar at the moment. And, no offense, but I'm not sure that a guitar designed by committee sounds like a target for my cash - at least not yet. Keep the ideas flowing though, this is getting innaresting.

Wow..this thread is still going ..

When I was considering to do a J200 Custom in 2009 I had a historic model in mind.A historic model that kind of should have been a natural progression back in 1939-40, but never was.

(I ordered a second Fender Strat Masterbuilt instead)

I was surprised one day to come across a guy who had the similar idea..and taste to do just that..so I took this image enclosed.

How about doing a run of these an early Historic J200 Natural's that should have been.

http://s1146.beta.photobucket.com/user/merseybeat1963/media/GibsonJ200Custom_zps5ae8c609.jpg.html

They'd be desirable in future when reselling too.

I'm not kidding...there is a brand new J-45 at our local store for under $2k....so what is the big deal for a 12 fret J-45, with just one or two features like a headstock or fretboard upgrade???? Why would this push the price to $3K???? If we get, say 20 orders, minimal paperwork, a little factory appreciation from Gibson for the loyal fans in this forum???? If this can't be done at this price break, I wouldn't understand why!!???

Yeppers. The 'designed by committee' took longer to come up than I had expected (with a tip of the hat to duluthdan)! OWF, prior to your OP, I was envisioning a WM45 in my dreams, or something like an entry level LG2 - because where I am, my GAS is in the direction of a solid, great sounding no frills guitar I'm not afraid of getting dinged, over humidified, etc. One that will last longer than my two high end Gibbys and become a classic in its own right for one of my grandchildren. Some of us here, on the other hand - are at a place where their GAS is in the direction of a recreation of a classic. Some others, a blinged out beauty with signature burst on Adirondeck Spruce.

Although I an not a Bozeman Cost Accountant, I think latter two will cost more that $3k. Doing 25 instead of 20 will have little impact on what needs to be charged. IF they did 100 - they would be using capacity or overtime and displacing the creation of other guitars they can sell at the normal pricing level. Sort of a double whammy. Gibson can't give us guitars at cost any more than BMW gives their employees (let alone loyal fans) cars at cost. It would create a time-warp in the fabric of their pricing strategy. Pricing, obviously isn't an after-thought. It is what keeps everything working by bringing in enough cash to pay for labor and materials, overhead, research and development and a little profit for the owners. For that reason, I believe, Gibson dropped the WM45 concept and went in the other direction to the TVs. So, I'm not optimistic that I'll be able to get a nice little Gibby I can keep with 'my sleeping bag rolled up behind behind your couch'. (Sorry - one of my all time favorite lines.)

It's only 6 pages now, I think we've a way to go yet before it even remotely takes off. If price is to be quite strict in the under 3k (street price) it might move quicker to rule out the options that would not fit within that.

Might even be time to hit a poll.. who knows... Still watching, still prepared to drop the cash for the right model / right specs, but only if it's a guitar that suits what I'm after rather than one which is too diluted by the committee nature of it. Same as everyone else I guess, for the right thing I'd be in, for the wrong thing (for me) I wouldn't. Could tie in nicely (for me) with my 40th being later this year, we'll see...

I'm moving on and setting my sites on one of the guitars from JT's project.

I'm thinking of the '43 SJ.......which would mean that my Fuller's '43 SJ might have to go, depending on the specs for the "JT re-issue". Or maybe you can't have too many '43 SJ's....

Thanks for the interest, folks. We should be making a public announcement with details at the February 16 Kalamazoo Gals/Fretboard journal event in Seattle.

So far we've found 2 examples of the FON 2735 SJ. Here's mine that is serving as the model. It's now in Montana and I'm beginning to miss it! It's my first Banner Gibson, the one that started me on this journey and which I had re-inspected by the original wartime inspector (an amazing experience for a guitar geek). Here's the other example, which differs by having he laminated neck. We're duplicating my guitar.

Here's the LG-1.

Should be a way cool project.

Thanks for the interest, folks. We should be making a public announcement with details at the February 16 Kalamazoo Gals/Fretboard journal event in Seattle.

So far we've found 2 examples of the FON 2735 SJ. Here's mine that is serving as the model. It's now in Montana and I'm beginning to miss it! It's my first Banner Gibson, the one that started me on this journey and which I had re-inspected by the original wartime inspector (an amazing experience for a guitar geek).

Should be a way cool project.

JT, that '43 SJ may be one of the most beautiful guitars I've ever seen. The condition is spectacular. It epitomizes what an SJ should be: slightly dressier than its plain country cousin, but its roots are clearly the same.

Archived