Gibson Brands Forums

Special Gibson Forum Guitar for Forumites???!!!!

onewilyfool

Keith...can you guys get this "Special forum member appreciation" J-45 12 fretter or L-00 guitars (these seem to be the ones getting the most traction) for around $2k????....say if we had a bulk order of 20 or more? So far, it doesn't seem folks are clammoring for lots of bling or heavy detailing...so pretty straight forward guitars.....maybe some interesting fret markers from the past ( Nick Lucas style for example) to make it stand out. Or all black like some have suggested.

Hmmmm....an all black, 12 fret, Nick Lucas fretmarker, "the Gibson" old script headstock, J-45????....Coooool

Can we get some input from the Gibson Staff?

I have had a 12 fret Southern Jumbo TV made for the shop, and I had a custom L-00 done for myself. So I am sure I can get them built. How much will come down to exactly what specs we want.... what top woods, etc. I am sure it will cost less if we do a large group. The NAMM show is this week so it's not the time to call my guy and ask him. I can make that call next week though. We just need to hammer out exact specs. We can definitely keep a reasonable price range though. If we can get that many orders, then I can give a discount as if it were an employee here buying it. Hopefully my guy at Gibson can hook us up if we do that many.

So, we need exact specs, and commitments. Once we have a real quote we will go from there. (take deposits, etc.) but that further down the road.

Keith

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have had a 12 fret Southern Jumbo TV made for the shop, and I had a custom L-00 done for myself. So I am sure I can get them built. How much will come down to exactly what specs we want.... what top woods, etc. I am sure it will cost less if we do a large group. The NAMM show is this week so it's not the time to call my guy and ask him. I can make that call next week though. We just need to hammer out exact specs. We can definitely keep a reasonable price range though. If we can get that many orders, then I can give a discount as if it were an employee here buying it. Hopefully my guy at Gibson can hook us up if we do that many.

So, we need exact specs, and commitments. Once we have a real quote we will go from there. (take deposits, etc.) but that further down the road.

Keith

Keith, can you post pics of your L-00 again?

While I'm really impressed with tpbiii's '31 L-1, having just picked up one of the limited run of L-00TVs (hog, 1 3/4" thick vintage girth neck, adi top, other vintagey looking touches) I would not spring for another L-00 anything.

How about a mahogany J-185 with one of Gibson's fine 'bursts from the '50s? Ce

Keith, can you post pics of your L-00 again?

sure!

a completed shot, a couple of my friends holding it will still being built, and a shot of the signatures of the builders and my friends in Montana.

L00Body.jpg

TGwithL00.jpg

L00sigs.jpg

it also has a custom label with my name on it. I don't have a picture of that handy right now though.

Keith

Ooh. Was'nt warming to this thread til I read that one, Jerry. Cant play but I want one...

Yeah. At the moment they are making the 12 fret Keb Mo L-00 model, but it is long scale. So this is another hole in the lineup. Plus the black w white pickguard is the cat's meow. I would buy one.

I would also be down for a 12 fret j-45, if that were the choice. I've started using strap for all playing so large bodies work ok for me.

Blindboygrunt got it right. Ren went to England to visit the original Gibson distributor. While he was there he contacted a wood vendor about the private purchase of some walnut. He bought a huge supply of walnut at a very good price and talked Gibson into buying the wood he wasn't going to use for his gun stocks. I bought several large planks of the stuff as well. The guy that authorized the purchase had to get rid of the wood as it kept showing up on the inventory lists and questions were starting to be asked. That is the only reason the Jackson Brown guitars were in walnut. Jackson made many trips to Bozeman over many years and didn't approve of any of the walnut prototypes. That is why there are so many prototypes out there. Gibson finally then agreed to put the pickup Jackson liked in the guitar. It it was all about the sound of the pickup and had little to do with the wood at this point. They finally used up all of the wood and no longer build with walnut.

What you guys need to do is settle on a spec and then just bring the spec to your local dealer and have him order it. You don't need to go to one dealer many miles away from where you live. This will also allow you to shop around for the best price. I live near Bozeman and will tell you this. Music Villa is only a mile from the Gibson factory and they have the Gibson folks in their store every day. They can get things done. They can go to the factory and chat directly with the people in charge of writing up the specs and pricing the guitars.

Hogeye, you don't happen to know how Lynn specced out that 12 fret j-45, do you? I can't remember if it had an extra deep body or if she used an unusual paddle-tail dovetail or what the bracing was. Guess I have to write to Bill. That guitar is really impressive. A lot of people have been angling to get it. I hate to damage a friendship by presuming on it but I have been quietly lusting after it myself. Since it utilizes existing production line parameters it should be possible to reproduce that sound cookbook style.

Yeah. At the moment they are making the 12 fret Keb Mo L-00 model, but it is long scale. So this is another hole in the lineup. Plus the black w white pickguard is the cat's meow. I would buy one.

I would also be down for a 12 fret j-45, if that were the choice. I've started using strap for all playing so large bodies work ok for me.

Both these are good choices for me too. Note: I believe that the JB is 1/4" deeper than a standard Jumbo......I don't think I would want the deeper body, although I can appreciate the extra volume/tone that might bring....

Oddly enough, with all those J-45 versions, Bozeman never made a 12 fret J-45, except for the very expensive Jackson Browne sig model, which does not use mahogany. Years ago a lady named Lynn who did CNC programming and other work at the factory built a 12 fret J-45 with a big fat neck. It was possibly, as Bill Gonder avers, the best guitar Gibson ever built. I have played it and it is amazing. Jackson Browne keeps trying to buy it off Bill. There was an internal political squabble over this instrument and the fact that Lynn in effect 'designed' it (i.e. chose a new combination of existing parameters) and as a result this particular spec has effectively been suppressed. It would be easy to produce them, since the cnc programs for all the parts are already in the system, you just have to order it up. If we did it without any extra ornamentation, it would be quite cheap, probably not that much more than a standard j-45. This would be a great candidate for the forum guitar: affordable, unique, and incredible sounding.

Great suggestion here.

I've already got several of my guitars in Montana (for the Banner reissue project) and woudl happily loan my 1932 black and white L-00 to Gibson for this project:

1932GibsonL-00FrontFull_zpsd3efbbcf.jpg

It's about a perfect year for Gibsons: not as light as my 1931 L-2 but still really light and also able to handle a flatpick. Probably my favorite Gibson neck of all time. It's not teh super small, Les paul-like necks of the late 1920s through about 1931, but not nearly as chunky as the necks got by the mid 1930s.

Blindboygrunt got it right. Ren went to England to visit the original Gibson distributor. While he was there he contacted a wood vendor about the private purchase of some walnut. He bought a huge supply of walnut at a very good price and talked Gibson into buying the wood he wasn't going to use for his gun stocks. I bought several large planks of the stuff as well. The guy that authorized the purchase had to get rid of the wood as it kept showing up on the inventory lists and questions were starting to be asked. That is the only reason the Jackson Brown guitars were in walnut. Jackson made many trips to Bozeman over many years and didn't approve of any of the walnut prototypes. That is why there are so many prototypes out there. Gibson finally then agreed to put the pickup Jackson liked in the guitar. It it was all about the sound of the pickup and had little to do with the wood at this point. They finally used up all of the wood and no longer build with walnut.

What you guys need to do is settle on a spec and then just bring the spec to your local dealer and have him order it. You don't need to go to one dealer many miles away from where you live. This will also allow you to shop around for the best price. I live near Bozeman and will tell you this. Music Villa is only a mile from the Gibson factory and they have the Gibson folks in their store every day. They can get things done. They can go to the factory and chat directly with the people in charge of writing up the specs and pricing the guitars.

why did he not wallk away ? surely the guy doesnt need the money?

I've already got several of my guitars in Montana (for the Banner reissue project) and woudl happily loan my 1932 black and white L-00 to Gibson for this project:

It's about a perfect year for Gibsons: not as light as my 1931 L-2 but still really light and also able to handle a flatpick. Probably my favorite Gibson neck of all time. It's not teh super small, Les paul-like necks of the late 1920s through about 1931, but not nearly as chunky as the necks got by the mid 1930s.

Could I borrow it for a while, first?

BluesKing777.

That is the only reason the Jackson Brown guitars were in walnut. Jackson made many trips to Bozeman over many years and didn't approve of any of the walnut prototypes. That is why there are so many prototypes out there. Gibson finally then agreed to put the pickup Jackson liked in the guitar. It it was all about the sound of the pickup and had little to do with the wood at this point. They finally used up all of the wood and no longer build with walnut.

Interesting. I sat with Jackson and talked with him at length while comparing mahogany, rosewood, and walnut prototypes. Yes, he was insistent on having his favorite pickup installed. But he explicitly told me that he liked the walnut as a tonal mid-way point between the other woods. He played all three prototypes for me and articulate his preference for the walnut. He then had me play all three and we talked some more.

That one sounds like a winner to me. Is that an ebony bridge, or what?

That's awesome! I have her rough living sister! a '32 as well!

Penny2.jpg

Do you have a sound bite or two of this guitar for us, JT?

BluesKing777.

Archived