Gibson Brands Forums

Special Gibson Forum Guitar for Forumites???!!!!

onewilyfool

Some truth to that, modoc.

However, I'd like to see this come in closer to 2k than 3k; that should be doable so long as we don't get too silly with specs. Although, near the top of my list would be (1) red spruce top/bracing (2) hide glue construction.

I would, however, request beg and plead for a choice of (a) colours -- some folks really like black (me, not so much), others would prefer "sunburst or death", while some might desire au naturel ....... and with some models, the maker has graciously allowed for such divergences. Other makers, maybe not. But it's an idea I would at least explore with Gibson.

The third choice option I would ask for humble consideration is perhaps two neck configurations, one larger, one smaller. If the BIG neck choice is the only option (as discussed earlier in the thread with the 12-fret JB-like guitar), then you have a wonderful guitar that some people simply cannot play. By contrast, if a "one size fits all" neck were selected, I'd recommend a middle-of-the-road C-medium profile to fit most hands.

And obviously, if Anne or other southpaws wanted a piece of the action, a lefty option would be much appreciated too!

Descending the soapbox,

Fred

I'm glad you mentioned that, lefty here too.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm hoping for a little participation from the factory on this. Lots of loyal forumites here and maybe we could go through Madoc, but Gibson could drop ship to each buyer directly through the auspices of Madoc's store, avoiding double shipping costs. I am interested, but at the $2K limit for me. At our local store I can get a J-45 for $1900, so what we are talking about a 12 fretter L-oo or J-45 with minimum bling and a sure, say 20 oreders, the $2K threshold should not be out of line. I'm thinking I would like to nominate JT as a consultant, since we may be using his guitar for a "template" for the new guitar. Now.....I'm not interested in a strict "clone", so we have to do SOMETHING to make this stand out uniquely "stand-out" as a Gibson guitar forum guitar??? Headstock? Interior Label? fretboard markers??? We need SOMETHING to make it out uniquely!! Let's bandy about some suggestions. I still like the 12 fretter J-45 idea too, and I don't know how, but we need to get some consensus on model and specs, and THAT which will make this guitar unique. Any Suggestions??? I'm also for the aged white trim instead of the pure white trim>

I'm hoping for a little participation from the factory on this. Lots of loyal forumites here and maybe we could go through Madoc, but Gibson could drop ship to each buyer directly through the auspices of Mavdoc's store, avoiding double shipping costs. I am interested, but at the $2K limit for me. At our local store I can get a J-45 for $1900, so what we are talking about a 12 fretter L-oo or J-45 with minimum bling and a sure, say 20 ore]ders, the $2K threshold should not be out of line. I'm thinking I would like to nominate JT as a consultant, since we may be using his guitar for a "template" for the new guitar. Now.....I'm not interested in a strict "clone", so we have to do SOMETHING to make this stand out uniquely "stand-out" as a Gibson guitar forum guitar??? Headstock? Interior Label? fretboard markers??? We need SOMETHING to make it out uniquely!! Let's bandy about some suggestions. I still like the 12 fretter J-45 idea too, and I don't know how, but we need to get some consensus on model and specs, and THAT which will make this guitar unique. Any Suggestions??? I'm also for the aged white trim instead of the pure white trim>

Yes!

Somebody needs to speak to the Gibson factory to find out the best way to go about things in their OPINION - could lead to some significant savings and some interesting ideas!

An idea I had to encompass what are a fairly disparate list of wishes and specs, would be for someone to come up with a 'designer look' that could be applied to a few guitars with different specs. So if we had on offer a L-00 in black with white p/g no matter what timber specs are used, we could have matching specs in a J45 for example:

http://www.tfoa.eu/the_store/index.php?target=products&product_id=36274

Just an idea to get the forum guitar a look that would cover a number of guitars.....

BluesKing777.

I think we need to suss out who's actually likely to do it and who's tyre kicking, we're not too far forward after 5 pages really.

As respected as JT is, bringing other people into the process too much might up the cost, thus ruling some out. Then there's how loose people are with actual specs, for me it's quite simple, if the final choices break down to a guitar I'd go for in a shop, I'm very probably in, if its too much of a committee design and has specs I don't like I certainly wouldn't pay 2-3k for it, same as everyone else I guess.

I don't see the point unless its something a little different, different finish from a normal line etc. it might be best to start whittling down some of the ideas and the likely's from the non-Likley's to see what we're left with...

This is sounding better and better.

I'm very happy to help, or not, as folks wish. Either way I'm excited about the prospect of a Gibson model designed by and for dedicated Gibson fans. If I can assist, great. If I can't, that's great, too. I'd just like to see this happen.

My offer to use one of my guitars as a starting point will remain open. I also have 4 guitars currently at Bozeman serving as templates for the Banner reissue/Kalamazoo Gals project that will soon be unveiled. To the extent that my experience with that project might prove helpful here, I'm all yours.

in any event, let's design a guitar or two!

.... An idea I had to encompass what are a fairly disparate list of wishes and specs, would be for someone to come up with a 'designer look' that could be applied to a few guitars with different specs. So if we had on offer a L-00 in black with white p/g no matter what timber specs are used, we could have matching specs in a J45 for example:

Just an idea to get the forum guitar a look that would cover a number of guitars ....

Interesting idea. Something similar comes to mind, so FWIW: My favorite local shop, Elderly (which famously can't handle retail Gibsons), had a 40th anniversary in 2012. Stan got together with Martin and brought out 40 anniversary guitars: 10 0-15M, 10 00-15M, 10 000-15M and 10 D-15M - all with the same upgraded appointments (mainly ebony fingerboard, bridge and pins) and a special label. Price point was around $1500. Being a customer since the 70s, I snagged a 000-15M (very good looking with the ebony appointments). The series was very popular and sold out quick, so now they've got another anniversary series, this time on the Martin 18 with 7 variations. Price point around $3000. http://elderly.com/search/elderly?terms=elderly+40th+anniversary+martin&x=0&y=0 . (pics and descriptions) . This idea seems to be great for pleasing the most potential buyers.

I'm very happy to help, or not, as folks wish. Either way I'm excited about the prospect of a Gibson model designed by and for dedicated Gibson fans. If I can assist, great. If I can't, that's great, too. I'd just like to see this happen.

My offer to use one of my guitars as a starting point will remain open. I also have 4 guitars currently at Bozeman serving as templates for the Banner reissue/Kalamazoo Gals project that will soon be unveiled. To the extent that my experience with that project might prove helpful here, I'm all yours.

Given your experience with the oldies and our penchant for all things vintage, I'd say it would be a great help and addition to the project, but obviously the friendlier we can keep the costs the more likely it is to happen.

It's a trade off, too special and many wont buy, too similar to a current production model and its pointless. It's a cool idea if we can make it happen though.

I am leaning to the J-45 12 fret-type model for myself......OR......a 14 fret L-00 as I've got the L-20 which is my 12 fretter in the L-00 size (which I love!) Also, I'm voting for the "the Gibson" old time headstock, and Nick Lucas fret board markers. I really like the idea of black & white, that would be unique and really stand out in a collection. Also we have not talked at all about pickups, so I guess we will be putting together a pure acoustic version??

I was part of a forum guitar project on the Larrivee forum a few years ago. It took countless pages to agree on anything,

however Larrivee stated that every guitar had to have the same features to keep it simple

and get the project completed with the least amount of confusion. This also kept cost down.

I don't care about any special features myself. I'd rather keep costs as low as possible.

My preference is for a 12 fret J-45.

I think we need to suss out who's actually likely to do it and who's tyre kicking, we're not too far forward after 5 pages really.

Well you can't really expect people to commit yet. I'm certainly not going to commit before specs and price are nailed down.

I've been through two of these types of projects with the Larrivee Guitar Forum...and its taken months to get consensus on design specs. That's with the forumites involved. Once that's done we'll need a dealer who can take those specs to Gibson and see if they will build it and determine pricing.

The other process would be for a dealer to take the lead and decide what its going to be and run's with it. Much like the Elderly anniversary models or LA Guitars special runs of guitars.

I think if its going to be a forum guitar you need the forum involved in decision-making and that will take some time...kind of like herding cats...

Well you can't really expect people to commit yet. I'm certainly not going to commit before specs and price are nailed down.

Oh, very true. I wasn't griping just saying in the interests of moving forward it would be a good idea to get some initial numbers of who's seriously interested and who's just enjoying the thread.

I'd expect several threads, perhaps even a couple of different models as it gains momentum .

Is a 12fret j-45 not just a Roy Smeck alike? That I could definitely get behind...

For me the main runners would be:

A JB that isn't a JB, or 12 fret 45 if that's the same thing.

A 13 fretter nick Lucas

A L-1 type model

We'll see how it all pans out, interested to see what comes up at the end even if its a design I wouldn't buy myself, a cool project regardless of the outcome.

The Roy Smeck model was a Hawaiian style guitar. Many have been converted to Spanish style. The Jackson B model was supposed to be along those lines but got complicated and expensive along the way. Martin has always made a few 12 fret dreds but for some reason Gibson has shied away from them. For many they are a kind of grail design with glassy sustain and overtones, lush bass, etc. Martin just now released a fancy one at NAMM in their Authentic series. I have written to my friend about Lynn's original specs and hopefully I can put those up here soon. My idea is to produce this as a plain Jane 12 fret J-45 with no special ornamentation except for the interior label identifying it as the forum guitar, like the Martin and Larrivee forum guitars. That way it's affordable and we avoid disagreements about ornamentation. The only special item which I feel certain must be included is the beefy neck, because the result is so utterly jaw-droppingly amazing on Bill Gonder's guitar. People have offered several big bills for the thing and I have thought about it myself. It's that good.

In other words I'm proposing that this be about sound and function rather more than looks and that we keep the price down. Possibly we could add upgraded tuners, like Waverlies (function!).

Heartily agree about making it about sound, Jerry, Lars, PM & others talking about a larger neck profile; the Jackson Browne sig model had so many interesting features in it's

guitarchitecture, that those who are curious about how design features change a guitar's sound find the JB hard to resist:

1) 12 fret

2) Deeper body (yes, it's very noticeable when side by side)

3) 1.83" nut width

4) Adirondack top

5) English Walnut back/sides

6) Small rectanglular bridge/ hide glue neck joint, etc.

Not even looking at the impact of a hot hide glue joint, IMHO I think there is some kind of link between neck mass & sound transfer. There's a lot of that vibration going up and down the neck. Otherwise, our clip-on tuners wouldn't work so well.

Offer the forum 12-fret J-45 with the baseball bat neck & I'll put a deposit down today.

Oh yeah: one vote for small 'burst :).

I will talk to Gibson after they get back from NAMM next week. I will caution that I see people asking for things that would exclude each other. for example, there is no way to get one with Adirondack top, Adi braces, hide glue, and custom specs for 2K. Just won't happen. They also won't make a L-00 Legend with one slight change for 2500. We either need a base model with some tweaks, or go all out and pay a little more. After doing a lot of these custom builds, I have some good guesses as to what the replies will be from Bozeman.

Keith

I will talk to Gibson after they get back from NAMM next week. I will caution that I see people asking for things that would exclude each other. for example, there is no way to get one with Adirondack top, Adi braces, hide glue, and custom specs for 2K. Just won't happen. They also won't make a L-00 Legend with one slight change for 2500. We either need a base model with some tweaks, or go all out and pay a little more. After doing a lot of these custom builds, I have some good guesses as to what the replies will be from Bozeman.

Keith

And a 12 fret j-45 style, with a beefy neck, not too much bling, small burst finish?

All current models use hot hide glue for the neck joint. Martin, by the way, has a big upcharge for that. When people talk about Gibson hide glue models that means hide glue throughout. It's best to just use the standard hide glue neck and titebond for the rest - no upcharge.

I'm not certain what the beefy neck is.

Is there a new model out that I can go out and try with the profile you're mentioning or is something I have close?

My least favorite is the Martin Modified V. Feels okay, but I couldn't play it all night. Starts huring my left hand.

I'm thinking about having my D41 shaved down and getting rid of the other ones.

My favorite - Gibson '60's slim taper & Fender Modern 'C'

Of the guitars I have, these are the neck profiles specified.

Martin -

Modified V

Low Profile

Gibson -

Round

Slim Taper

'60's slim taper neck

Fender -

Modern 'C'

My other guitars do not specify neck shape

Probably the 'legend series' necks are what most of us mean by beefy. They seem to be the most generous that gibson do. Might not be for everyone though.

I'm definitely not a beefy neck kind of guy, a Fender"C" is my favorite, just so

long as it's not like a baseball bat. [biggrin]

Some truth to that, modoc.

However, I'd like to see this come in closer to 2k than 3k; that should be doable so long as we don't get too silly with specs. Although, near the top of my list would be (1) red spruce top/bracing (2) hide glue construction.

I would, however, request beg and plead for a choice of (a) colours -- some folks really like black (me, not so much), others would prefer "sunburst or death", while some might desire au naturel ....... and with some models, the maker has graciously allowed for such divergences. Other makers, maybe not. But it's an idea I would at least explore with Gibson.

The third choice option I would ask for humble consideration is perhaps two neck configurations, one larger, one smaller. If the BIG neck choice is the only option (as discussed earlier in the thread with the 12-fret JB-like guitar), then you have a wonderful guitar that some people simply cannot play. By contrast, if a "one size fits all" neck were selected, I'd recommend a middle-of-the-road C-medium profile to fit most hands.

And obviously, if Anne or other southpaws wanted a piece of the action, a lefty option would be much appreciated too!

Descending the soapbox,

Fred

I am think that somewhere between 2200 and 2700 would be possible. Of course it would Tag higher than this on the wall in a store, but I am talking real prices here.... to your door. Don't hold me to that though, we have to spec this out and talk to them! LOL. Given my experiences though, it can be done especially if we get hard commits. (deposits).

I am pretty sure that we can do color options with no trouble. black, sunburst, or natural. The white pickguard may be hard because they probably don't have them. It may be no big deal though.

Different options for neck shape won't happen though. It would up the cost. I would suggest going with the shape on a J45 TV. Everyone here is familiar with this shape, and it is a good middle ground.

It would be no problem to get a custom label. I would suggest it make some reference to the forum.

The big neck is an essential part of the design. I think people first noticed this configuration 12 fret + big neck with the Roy Smecks. They had that giant 2 1/4" hawaiian neck which was still hefty even shaved down to spanish. That's the configuration: 12 fret, large neck, round shoulder dred.

A few years ago I got a guitar which is a knock-off of the Martin Eric Clapton triple oh model. The neck is just like the Clapton. At first I found playing it painful and I was sore from it. But I would play for short periods and gradually I got used to it and found that once I understood how to use the leverage it offered, it was actually easier than thin necks. Some people are just never going to get used to these big log necks but they are not as bad as they might seem at first, IMO.

A 12 fret J-45 with a modern neck profile might well be a very nice guitar but if I'm going to buy a custom I am interested in a tone monster of a grail guitar, not just a nice one.

I'm curious as to how the series of guitars you are involved in will differ from the Legend Series already in production? I would be interested in knowing the names of the folks in Montana you are working with now that Ren has left the building. Do you have a time set for their introduction? Do you think they will fall in the price range of the "Legend" series? Will you and the luthier be signing the labels? Will single guitars be available or will they be a set?

I'm saving my money.

Archived