Gibson Brands Forums

Special Gibson Forum Guitar for Forumites???!!!!

onewilyfool

JT, that '43 SJ may be one of the most beautiful guitars I've ever seen. The condition is spectacular. It epitomizes what an SJ should be: slightly dressier than its plain country cousin, but its roots are clearly the same.

Nick,

Yes, it's a stunning Instrument in every conceivable way: appearance, tone, playability. It's the gutiar that led me to track down who built it. Once I found those Gals, I couldn't help writing a book about them and the guitars that they built.

I feel so fortunate to have stumbled upon the guitar and the story.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sssssssssssssssssssss (sound of air leaving balloon. Is what it is but talk about not giving a nod to your fan base

Actually this was something expected. At this time of year they are finalizing which limited runs will be done throughout the year. Often this means custom builds are put on hold..... but a short hold.

In all honesty, I couldn't afford a run of Gibson Custom Shop Acoustics on my own so I looked to an American-based one-man company (Who has since relocated himself back to his home country) to build a guitar for me...

Basically: A replica of a 1941 Gibson J55

It was to have Koa back and sides with a Mahogany top; X-Bracing; Brazilian board (YES, he had Brazilian); Brazilian Batwing bridge; AJ inlays; Flower-pot headstock; Slotted headstock; Single-ply Mahogany binding on the body (Orange in color like the headstock below); Waverly's and some K&K transducers. Black in color with a vibrant tigerstripe guard in the art-deco J55 shape. He was extremely interested but needed to get his shop setup over there before addressing new orders. Still waiting.

Just figured I'd share that idea with you. Picture 1 is the guitar and pickguard. Picture 2 is the color scheme. Picture 3 is the headstock (No, not a Gibson thing but I liked it. To each, his own).

8435757213_81d04d5515.jpg

8435757285_f4522256e7.jpg

8436841974_090629e490.jpg

@ Duluthdan: Absolutely 1 3/4" [thumbup] .

@ jt: I adore the J55's, too. The one on the left of your picture has outstanding color; Truly the best finish Gibson ever produced was the Tri-Burst. I do like the mustache bridges, too, but I think they're a bit too dressy for the J55 for my taste. Besides, it's hard to beat the batwing bridge like the one below (If only it were darker in color!!). Though, maybe you could shed some light on one thing: In your photo, the guitar on the left has additional holes where the saddle ought to be. Did they use regular wood for the individual saddles or some form of bone?

8435757667_8494efcb21.jpg

@ jt: I adore the J55's, too. The one on the left of your picture has outstanding color; Truly the best finish Gibson ever produced was the Tri-Burst. I do like the mustache bridges, too, but I think they're a bit too dressy for the J55 for my taste. Besides, it's hard to beat the batwing bridge like the one below (If only it were darker in color!!). Though, maybe you could shed some light on one thing: In your photo, the guitar on the left has additional holes where the saddle ought to be. Did they use regular wood for the individual saddles or some form of bone?

The holes you are looking at actually had threaded brass inserts in them then the inserts had threaded bone inserts threaded into them. The bone inserts could be "adjusted" up or down for individual string height.

• 4 months later...

Well Guitar strummer, thanks for the update and the -1 by the way, and although Gibson is not taking orders right now.......they might in the future, and it actually might be a nice marketing idea to do a forum based guitar, which they may consider in the future....and might be fun to see what we come up with, even though they are not taking orders at the moment......

[rolleyes]

Tough one to get an agreement on, the standout points for me so far would be...

What's the point in another J-45.... too true

best to get something not available... yeah true, but then probably harder to get the numbers required

specs... probably sticking to tradition would be most successful here, thus ruling out stuff like koa...

likliest options for me to get onboard with would be some sort of Nick Lucas, 13 fretter, or a JB which ain't a JB. I can't see where there's left to go with 45's and birds without moving too far away from traditional specs which would kill the numbers.

I vote for a Nick Lucas mahogany 13 fret short scale 1 3/4" nut. Tobacco burst.

Sitka top - I'm too old to break in Adi

generous neck, but less of a handful than the FVG J35; no sharp V like the L00TV.

oh - and shaded Mahogany b&s like the OJ.

[rolleyes]

generous neck, but less of a handful than the FVG J35; no sharp V like the L00TV.

I like that design too!!!

Just catching up on this thread. In the picture referenced, the guitar on the left is a J100. The one on the right is the J55. They are both 1939 models (probably) because they have the stair step headstock. The individual bone bearing saddle was available on both models. I have seen J55 and J100 with both one piece and individual saddles.

[rolleyes]

+1....but with a 4 1/2 max depth!

Archived