Gibson Brands Forums

Special Gibson Forum Guitar for Forumites???!!!!

onewilyfool

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love this idea! My suggestion is a black and white, 12-fret L-00, like my 18302-ish example in the front left of this photo:

Gibsons_zps66ab339b.jpg

I'd happily loan that guitar (or any of my guitars) to Gibson for measurements, etc. for this project.

If you looking for a vintage repro, how about 1931 L-1. These were really unique guitars -- both in appearance and sound -- ours is often proclaimed to be the best sounding guitar ever when visited by the bare fingered singer types (the bare *** bluegrass types, not so much[biggrin]).

1931L-2a.jpg

triml2.jpg

We might also clone this -- the only "Trojan" ever documented in the shipping records (960-12).

1936TrojanJ-35a.jpg

Trojan1st960B-12Nov221936.jpg

It is a historically important instrument, and I suppose it could go the Montana to be cloned. Of course, we would have to go with it -- Montana is nice in Feb, isn't it?

Let's pick,

-Tom

You don't need to get everyone to agree. Just enough people to justify making the run. Even though I already have a nice L-OO, I would probably vote for another small body, configuration to be decided.

One thing for me: no electronics.

Trouble is, then you'll have 20 happy folks and a bunch who are left out of the fun.

I'd suggest 2 guitars, that would hopefully appeal a bit more broadly:

-- A "banner-era" natural finish J-50 or SJN type, red spruce top and bracing, hot rodded guitar

-- An L-00, prewar spec guitar. I like the black or the sunburst or the natural, with the reverse-firestripe piclguard. On edit: Come to think of it, considering Tom's post, I'd go a step further and say Argentine L-2!!!

That way, if a larger-body design were selected, folks who have issues with (or too many) 16" slopes would have an option to select a L body, which can also be a cool guitar

Fred

Trouble is, then you'll have 20 happy folks and a bunch who are left out of the fun.

I'd suggest 2 guitars, that would hopefully appeal a bit more broadly:

-- A "banner-era" natural finish J-50 or SJN type, red spruce top and bracing, hot rodded guitar

-- An L-00, prewar spec guitar. I like the black or the sunburst or the natural, with the reverse-firestripe piclguard. On edit: Come to think of it, considering Tom's post, I'd go a step further and say Argentine L-2!!!

That way, if a larger-body design were selected, folks who have issues with (or too many) 16" slopes would have an option to select a L body, which can also be a cool guitar

Fred

A great idea, Fred!

It would be nice if someone with better skills and more knowledge of historical guitars than I have start another thread and set up the options on an opinion poll.

I could take a stab at it but would probably miss too much.

Will Gibson skip dealers & deal directly with the Forum Members inc..and pass on ..full retail..full wholesale..basic 25% off Pricing..

How was it done on the other Forums?

What ever it is it should be something unique & Special..something they do not do now..(and not really cosmetic things)

I would vote for a old growth tight grained Adirondack Top but in the same thickness as Pre War Gibsons...thin sharpe braces as well as those were..and individually hand voiced tops for response.

No matter what the model..the other thing is ebony Fingerboard and an exceptionally tight hand fit neck to body.

If its a J200..a touch more neck angle & 4 Ribbon Bridge.

I like this idea but untill I have a job again.. : (

Will Gibson skip dealers & deal directly with the Forum Members inc..and pass on ..full retail..full wholesale..basic 25% off Pricing.

My guess is that Gibson will not do this. What we could do is find a reputable 5 star dealer that is "in" with the guys that make decisions up there in Bozeman.... and maybe also knows Ren personally....... hmmmmm Modoc?

Will Gibson skip dealers & deal directly with the Forum Members inc..and pass on ..full retail..full wholesale..basic 25% off Pricing..

How was it done on the other Forums?

The short answer is "No" -- you'd have to get a dealer to place the order. Gibson won't deal directly with even pleasant, well-meaning, organized nice folks such as us.

The best pricing and best support I have received, in purchasing new Gibsons, and oftentimes, ones that were "Custom", was through Fuller's Vintage Guitars. They are the largest Gibson-stocking dealer in the US, and they know Don and the guys and gals at Gibson very well.

There are, of course, alternatives, such as FQMS, Wildwood, Bozeman-locals Music Villa, and lots of others, but I've favoured Mike and Jeremy Fuller and their crew due to their tireless patience, excellent service and great pricing. I've done a lot of comparison shopping, and never had regrets about using Fullers, even though I've also purchased from several of the others too.

Fred

The L2 was done by Gibson in 1994 and it fell well short. I doubt anyone is going to be able to duplicate the Argentine finish. This is what it looks like.

L-2%20022r.jpg

I would call for a 12 fret Nick Lucas guitar in all black with optional white pickguard and gold sparkle binding.

Terry

The L2 was done by Gibson in 1994 and it fell well short. I doubt anyone is going to be able to duplicate the Argentine finish.

I would call for a 12 fret Nick Lucas guitar in all black with optional white pickguard and gold sparkle binding.

Terry

Did they?? I can't recall that one (wouldn't be the first time for that!).

Fred

Hey, looks like we're already getting this narrowed-down to a certain 4-5 dozen guitars, each with a certain 4-5 dozen specific details. We're making progress and I suspect we'll all come to an agreement sometime in the next lifetime. [thumbup]

But our chances of reaching an agreement are much better than the chances of the Senate passing a budget this year!

I think the 13 fret option would be soooo cool and unique and stand out in any grouping, nice nod to Nick Lucas too...here's a '27 I found on line:

ScreenShot2013-01-23at50735PM_zps3a746460.png

I like the fret markers, headstock, 13 frets, sunburst....just delightful!

That's nice, but in black with.................................

Someone needs to find some parameters that Gibson will make within - or a 13 fret necker may cost $80000 in re-tooling - I don't know this, but I imagine they have 'templates'.

Best Guitar Factory, China will make it for you cheap, otherwise...

BluesKing777.

Archived