Gibson Brands Forums

Music Villa Review

JuanCarlosVejar

Most interesting! I would say the standard has a more "modern" tone, fairly balanced across the entire range. The TV definitely has a drier "vintage" tone, with a very focused top end and a thumpier, if less resonant, bass. I have to admit the TV appeals to me more, although both are nice-sounding guitars.

JC, do you know what strings they use for these tests?

Most interesting! I would say the standard has a more "modern" tone, fairly balanced across the entire range. The TV definitely has a drier "vintage" tone, with a very focused top end and a thumpier, if less resonant, bass. I have to admit the TV appeals to me more, although both are nice-sounding guitars.

JC, do you know what strings they use for these tests?

Nick ,

let me find out for you . I'll drop you a line when I know =D

JC

Interesting, but I just don't hear that much difference between them. Sitka on the Standard, Adorondike on the TV. So what? At times they are almost identical in tone. The TV "might" have a bit more volumn in a couple sections. I do think the Standard sounds more like what some old picker sitting on the corner on an orange crate might be playing. A more traditional and bluesy sound in it. In my view, it comes-down to what each person likes. I just don't see or hear the difference. Perhaps it's the wood on that particular TV, but I don't hear what some folks rave about. I guess I was expecting to think "Wow!" I know each of us with a J45 is likely very impressed with it. I know I am with mine...Thanks for the video.

I have a J45TV from 2007 (which has a sitka top, and not adirondack). I also have a J-50 Modern Classic, which is really a J45 "natural" if you can call it that, with the addition of a non-teardrop pick-guard. I love them both, but when I play at home, my J45TV sounds so much more resonant, with more sustain, as well as thumpier.

In the Music Villa comparison, those differences don't come through really. I am using speakers on my pc at work, but they sound pretty similar, with the standard actually sounding more full! Go figure. I actually prefer the sound of the standard they are using to their TV.

I'll try to listen using better speakers at home.

I had trouble hearing the difference, but I'm listening on an ipad. :rolleyes:

I really want a J45TV. I went to buy one a while back but the only one the store had was a natural top which I wasn't crazy about. I also liked the sound of the AJ they had better so I bought that, which I am very happy with, but I still want the J45. When NAMM is over and the guys are back I'm going to take another shot. .......there's a couple of SJ models that might interest me too. There's room for one more Hog slope shouldered dred here. Then I'm done, at least that's what I'm telling my wife. [thumbup]

Rich

I appreciate these clips immensely and wrote the staff to tell them so.

Apart from that, the Standard sounds slightly fuller/rumblier to me, the TV a tooth more withheld, thinner (in lack of a better word), thus more defined, , , and should I add 'elegant'.

2 great guitars in 1 great test.

Interesting, but I just don't hear that much difference between them. Sitka on the Standard, Adorondike on the TV. So what? At times they are almost identical in tone. The TV "might" have a bit more volumn in a couple sections. I do think the Standard sounds more like what some old picker sitting on the corner on an orange crate might be playing. A more traditional and bluesy sound in it. In my view, it comes-down to what each person likes. I just don't see or hear the difference. Perhaps it's the wood on that particular TV, but I don't hear what some folks rave about. I guess I was expecting to think "Wow!" I know each of us with a J45 is likely very impressed with it. I know I am with mine...Thanks for the video.

Larry ,

why not look at it the other way round ?

they got a great standard J 45 that matches that particular J 45 TV

=D

Glad Gibson continues to make great guitar

JC

I appreciate these clips immensely – and wrote the staff to tell them so.

Apart from that, the Standard sounds slightly fuller/rumblier to me, the TV a tooth more withheld, thinner (in lack of a better word), thus more defined, , , and should I add 'elegant'.

2 great guitars in 1 great test.

I thought the tonal differences were quite pronounced, and your analysis is fairly similar to mine. The TV was almost "tight" in the top end, but that translated into better string/note definition, even though the Standard was a bit more balanced and smooth. I listened both on good headphones, and good speakers, and the results were fairly similar. For recorded comparisons, I prefer using headphones to remove any room bias. Music Villa has a very nice recording setup.

The reason I asked JC about the strings was that the differences were substantial enough that I wondered if they were using the same strings of the same age.

I liked both guitars and think they both have a distinct sound. I liked the G riff he did at 3:30 on the TV better, sounded more bluegrassy but on the strum at 4:24 I liked the standard better. Based on this video I could see both guitars complimenting each other.

I listened both on good headphones, and good speakers, and the results were fairly similar. For recorded comparisons, I prefer using headphones to remove any room bias. Music Villa has a very nice recording setup.

Earphones are ideel in these A/B's. Unfortunately my hearing is still down, but in the cans things remain fairly 'normal'.

And yes, the set-up is fine.

Juan, or we could say that they had a great TV, but a mediocre Standard....lol...The guy playing seemed to really like the TV. Maybe it was better than most of them...... I'm not knocking the TV, but all I hear about them does not show-up for my ears in this clip. I was expecting to hear two very different guitars (as he described in the video), but I didn't. Let's face it, the Standard J45 is now kind of looked-down upon because the TV is supposedly the big dog on the block with select wood, more bone, more inlay, more tone, more sustain, more lows, more money. It's on the AGF and it's supported in here, and hey, it may be totally true......... What actually is True Vintage? A ten-year-old J45 with a few scratches, a bit of checking, maybe a sweat stain on it, or a brand new one made to look like it's older? To me, both of these guitars sounded very good, but from everything I've heard and read I thought the Standard would get buried.

On my first listen on my iPad, the TV sounded like my 2010 J45 Standard with new strings (This Afternoon!).

After reading some of the above replies, I dragged out the big guns to have a listen - my Shure SE545 In-Ear Monitors!

I went to the Music Villa site and listened to a whole range of their guitar videos before I replayed the J45 comparison. (There is a very dangerous sounding Martin 00-42 that ........no no no I wonder how much THAT is? Looked Exxxxxxxxyyyyyy.)

So back to listening to the J45 vs J45 TV - both sounded fabulous in my SE545 - it sounded like I was there - Music Villa do a great job with these videos!

Going back to 2010 in the music shop where I tried my J45 Standard - I tried that day: Hummingbird MC, J200 MC, J45 Standard, J45 TV and a couple of others. I had read a lot about the TV and had really gone to the shop to try and buy a TV J45, but my fingers selected the J45 Standard! I went back the next day to buy it.

After listening to the video in my nice monitors, I have to say that I would still make the same decision. Perhaps the Standard J45s are more pitched towards the Blues Fingerpickers?

BluesKing777.

Enjoyed that, in these clips the difference was not as significant as when I generally compared the two in real life where I found the TV to be almost always more appealing in tone.

Here the standard seems to have a bigger bottom end and a 'bolder' tone while the TV to me has better note definition, roundess and a subtle clarity. The standard arguably is a little nasal while the TV a bit more woodier and 'elegant' as Em7 put it nicely.

Her is another comparisement in different playing style where at least to my ears between these two guitars the True Vintage sounds significantly stronger and there is great difference in tone quality.

Having said I think both sounded very good and I wouldnt kick either out of bed if it hit a smelly note.

I preferred the Standard in the video above. That said, I do have an new L-00TV and I find that while it still sounds like Gibson, the mids and trebles are definitely sharper, clearer and more, well, "trebly" than what I hear coming out of standard, sitka topped Gibsons.

So, if you're hung up on wanting to hear that good ol' Gibson tone you've known for years, I'd suggest a Standard. If you're looking for a little more high end, a little more definition, a smoother more sustainy high end, consider a TV. Good luck! Ce

I thought the main difference between the models was the Hide glue & placement of braces in the TV..!

Anyway the TV sounded noticably better during the playing music part but during the single chord strumming not really.

To me making a guitar that is better sounding 9 out of 10 times..(TV) which if it's simply down to bracing placement & hide glued..is a waste of good wood(Standard).

If one is sitka & one is Adi..it is one thing cause of the sound they produce..but why not just at least brace them the same and use a bone saddle/nut. The saddle nut diff is $5..placement of braces nothing ...just the gluing..extra 10 min-20min..?

I own a J45 standard I purchased from Music Villa.

They upgraded the nut and saddle to bone for me, and I upgraded the pins to bone.

This video was interesting to me because my J45 now shares a little more with the TV than it did the standard. The bass/mid range of mine is more of a cross between them, but still....It's not the EXACT tone of the TV, but it definitely has more of the TV going than the Standard. Granted no two guitars sound exactly the same anyway.

I am wondering if the nut, saddle and pins make most of the impact on the tone because in my instance, it surely did.

I'd say I have a hybrid in terms of tone now.

Archived