Gibson Brands Forums

No Thank You. Henry.

AXE®

No autotune system is gonna correct the badly cut nuts,

Now there's a thought. And it also brings an idea.

I mean, on the one hand, I gotta say that if the nut is not cut right, it isn't going to be able to tune well regardless if it is automatic or manual. I don't think it's a big deal personally, because it wouldn't let a bad nut turn me away, but Gibson could do a lot better for it's rep if they did better in that area.

But besides that, how many times have I read here where poeple want to change or "upgrade" their tuners? For whatever reason, regardless of mistaking the tuners as a problem, or just wanting to "customize", or see tuners as gadgetry to make a guitar they like better.

I think the REAL questions about this thing, I haven't seen answered yet on this long thread: Does this require any change to the guitar at all? Any routing of the tuner holes or extra screw holes? And how much does this thing actually cost?

Good tuners are actually kinda spendy by themselves. And this could go both ways, as some might want to yank it off and "upgrade" to new regular tuners.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But besides that, how many times have I read here where poeple want to change or "upgrade" their tuners? For whatever reason, regardless of mistaking the tuners as a problem, or just wanting to "customize", or see tuners as gadgetry to make a guitar they like better.

Or they were out with their guitar and at least once had a stock tuner fail, a plastic tulip come right off the tuner, or a Fedner slotted lose its' clutch and just tune up and then turn back. There are very good reasons why guys like me have Grovers on all guitars that go out the house.

rct

Thanks for posting Peavey's contribution to auto-tune technology Cookie. Peavey is doing some cool stuff with regards to implementing new technologies into their product line. From their TransTube amp series to the ReValver modeling software which I have recently purchased to evaluate. Perhaps Gibson's move in this direction is an attempt to not lose market share to other innovative companies. The reality is that the customer base is changing (yes, the xBox generation). We old guys who embrace 60 year old designs, giving them hyperbolic labels like Holy Grail, are not long for this world (sorry fellas). The new market for these companies is made up of individuals who have never known a world without personal computers or microwave ovens. Many posters in this thread act like this is a bad thing but in fact you and I have never know a world without the automobile. Would we prefer to ride around in horse drawn carriages? My father never knew a world without a radio. It's natural that new technologies will emerge and find a place as new products and in products that beforehand did not incorporate them. The market will decide if these products are embraced and succeed.

rct, Cookie and I may choose not to use doohickies like the Mini-Tune but dem00n, buxom and Fenderguy may find them irreplaceable in their playing and performing. Remember, there was a time when the electric guitar did not exist. I wonder how that innovation was received on the internet forums back in the 1930's. Oh wait...... there were no internet forums in the 1930's. B)

rct, Cookie and I may choose not to use doohickies like the Mini-Tune but dem00n, buxom and Fenderguy may find them irreplaceable in their playing and performing.

Absolutely. The only way the old guys get to be the old and wise old guys is because things change and they still know how it used to be done, no matter what it is. I'ma DOS programmer of intel chips using 32 bit registers. From 1990. So I know what obsolete is!

Besides, things have to change, and hopefully, we will be grouchy about those changes that matter most to us. If we didn't out live our time and stuff we'd have a much harder time letting go when the time comes.

rct

Yes and no.

But like stated earlier. Within 18 months it will be on all.

Not an option.

Put it on a separate line.

Because we all know how the Darkfire FirebirdX & Robot series were flying off the shelf.

And then flying back for repairs. lolz

I don't think it'll fly in it's present configuration. They'll have to have the servos and the tuning electronics in the body of the guitar. That'll protect the visual integrity of the models.

They need to leave the regular tuners on the headstock and make a separate tuning system inside the body down at the tailpiece. That way they'll keep the look and function of the regular tuners while being able to engage the autotune system seperately.

Send the royalty checks to this address.

It may be the greatest thing since the neat round spaghetti you can eat with a spoon.

I personally think it cheapens the brand as well as the heritage of the instrument.

I must admit I'm with axe on this one. I think it should be an option.

They need to leave the regular tuners on the headstock and make a separate tuning system inside the body down at the tailpiece. That way they'll keep the look and function of the regular tuners while being able to engage the autotune system seperately.

That's actually a great idea! [thumbup]

There's no question in my mind that this should be an option, not a regular "part" on a Gibbie or higher-priced Epi.

But still, what the Gibbie web site proclaims is that it is indeed an option.

"All of our guitars will have it" can mean also "all of our guitars will have it as an option."

We'll see.

I wish one of the Gibbie guys would respond to this - whether 'tis an option or not.

As perhaps the oldest "regular" here, I'd say it's interesting and I'd be interested except... not for a 15 percent price increase or $400 as an aftermarket item.

As for fake woods and stuff... <sigh> I've a hunch the younger guys on here may have little choice when it comes to new guitars by the time they're my age.

m

From the Horses mouth.

“It’s on most of the models that are in our 2013 Gibson line,” he remarks. In addition to Gibson guitars, he comments, “It will also be on several Epiphone models, so it will really be affordable.”

The new Mini-ETune addition will become the standard for several models, including SGs, ES-335s and other models. “Everything,” he confirms.

“It’s not on all models yet, and it’s mostly because we don’t have enough of these (tuners) to go around. So we picked what were the most obvious models we thought most people might want this on,” he explains.

“But within 18 months, it will be on every single Gibson,” he asserts.

I think it's great. You can bypass the function no? If it has a good ratio and and can be bypassed why not? I'd love to play a guitar that I could quickly turn the vol down, tune it in 2 seconds and go back to playing a song in a performance. Like new coke, I can't imagine that some models won't be offered with the classic tuners.

Here's another reason I will continue to buy OLD Gibs.

There's always Hoffner and Gretch and Fender.

If those who buy high end gear are older buyers who like their instruments to remain "classic" and these buyers turn their backs on the mandatory addition, taking their cash to a company that provides it as an option, this mandatory addition won't be mandatory for long.

I don't think there is cause for panic.

Regardless of what Gibson may say or think, they still build what the buyers order. Most dealerships would not be ordering these, and if it WAS to become what Gibson calls "standard", most dealers would then be ordering "exclusives" or whatever they call it without them to serve their own customer base. Not to mention get a lower price.

Archived