Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
onewilyfool

Who owns the oldest Gibson on the forum????

I know we had a thread on this before, but perhaps someone got a REALLY old one in the mean time. I do have a 1923 Gibby L-2, but I KNOW that is not the oldest Gibby on the forum.....what you got>>>>????

post-53251-059620500 1360003202_thumb.jpg

I see I'm not the only mandolin owner here. My "old guitar" is a Galiano & Ciani bowlback mandolin. I knows it's not a Gibson, but it is old. Sometime between 1890-1900, made in New York City. It's rare because these guys are better known for producing flat-back mandolins.

I think we did this before and John won.

Here is a picture of our antique stuff from a few years ago.

a1s.jpg

The A-1 and the U-10 (Harp Guitar) are from 1913. The F4 is 1920 and the Army/Navy is 1917. The L-1 is 1918.

The Martins are 1925, 1921, 1919 and 1893. The little Washburne "New Model" is 1895.

I'd like to see some of those lovely early Gibson archtops -- I know someone must have one.

Let's pick,

-Tom

• Upvote 1

I have a 1903 Style O SN#2623 and also a Style R harp guitar from the same year. Here's pic of the Style O. The harp guitar is off having some work done on it.

Phil

restoration20orville2029_zps2054c939.jpg

15_zps65827e30.png

I have a 1903 Style O SN#2623 and also a Style R harp guitar from the same year. Here's pic of the Style O. The harp guitar is off having some work done on it.

Phil

15_zps65827e30.png

Was that one built by Orville himself?

Phil

15_zps65827e30.png

Nice

Thanks. Gibson instruments from the very beginning of the company are pretty hard to come by but especially guitars. They were just making more mandolin family instruments back then. This guitar is not an Orville Gibson built instrument however he could have been there when it was made. It is constructed just like Orville's original instruments. They (The Gibson Co.) quickly changed this design to something a little more factory friendly shortly after this was made.

Phil

Phil

Very cool, Phil! Thanks for sharing it with us.

I was at least hoping you guys would work down toward 1903. That was too quick.

Calling uncle already?

1903. Bam. I think this contest is over.

I have an 1901 Gibson Southern Jumbo True Vintage.... Teddy Roosevelt may have played it...

SJTV_zps63704a71.jpg

Ok, enough silliness for me - punch drunk today - I'll exit stage left and get ready to see Lyle Lovett and John Hiatt in a few hours...

I have an 1901 Gibson Southern Jumbo True Vintage.... Teddy Roosevelt may have played it...

SJTV_zps63704a71.jpg

Ok, enough silliness for me - punch drunk today - I'll exit stage left and get ready to see Lyle Lovett and John Hiatt in a few hours...

VGC for such an antique!

Here's a recent tap from a grog shoppe gig we recently did. I'm on the left, with the Feedback Buster (major prob), Squire on the right w/ special sig edition (signed) weasel headstock custom. (Really puts the head in headstock):

4243a5e6-b0c5-4f47-a174-1433a1d2edc8_zps9e13df25.png

A guy I used to play music with owned a Style O (I don't recall the year it was made) and 1903 L-2. Both were handed down through his family. The Style O in particular is very cool looking but he would be the first to tell you they are not the best sounding Gibsons he has ever got his hands on. He told me if they were not family pieces they both would have been sold off a long time back. But the WOW factor cannot be denied.

Zomby, any way you can get pics of them? If the one guitar is from 1903 then it's probably not an L-2 as they came out in the 20's. Or if you still talk to the guy maybe you could get serial numbers.

Phil

Zomby, any way you can get pics of them? If the one guitar is from 1903 then it's probably not an L-2 as they came out in the 20's. Or if you still talk to the guy maybe you could get serial numbers.

Phil

I have not talked to the guy in a while. But I can guarantee the guitars are not for sale. More than a few folks have tried to buy them but he would not even talk about it. Bad combination- the guitars have been handed down through the family (his grandfather taught him to play on those guitars) and he is flush and not in dire need of money.