Gibson Brands Forums

Outrageous prices

brannon67

This is a posting I have wanted for some time.

Sure, you can look at it as, "If it's too expensive don't buy it," but I prefer the mindset of, "You jerks: You are trying to separate me from my hard-earned cash by putting your name on a trumped-up product."

I have wanted an R7 Les Paul for years now, but does a longer neck tenon and vintage-style capacitors justify a $1K price increase? I think not.

Look, if Phil X can get the sound he gets out of an LTD with an off-the-shelf SD pick-up, then it reminds me of the mantra many of us subscribe to: It's the player, not the guitar...

but does a longer neck tenon and vintage-style capacitors justify a $1K price increase?

If you honestly believe this. You a horribly mistaken.

Rs don't go down the line being assembled by Nancy -Doug & Billy Joe Jimbob.

The select woods are more expensive ect...

They take more time to produce. As well as many other factors.

I remember in the, "It Might Get Loud" documentary, Jack White said something like, if you want to go the easy route, get a Fender or Gibson.

I know he played a cheappie as a pro for a while. Talent will shine through with poo equipment while excellent equipment may not do squat for you if you're mediocre. I can make the finest guitar sound poo, my friends. But not if I'm playing Hole. I can play the **** out of Hole. [thumbup]

I got that '69 Teisco and I am thinking of having a pro put the pixie dust on her. No mods, just pixie dust. Bet she makes as good a guitar as any new tele [flapper]

Also, as rct said, if we get to complain about the price of luxiry items (unless you're a street performer or a pro, a guitar is a luxury item) we're blessed.

[

Rs don't go down the line being assembled by Nancy -Doug & Billy Joe Jimbob.

Neither do guitars being made at, say, Heritage. But Gibson can charge what they do because of the name and legacy.

My favorite guitar is my Gibson SG Classic because of the sound and feel, plain and simple. The wood looks good. It is made in Nashville. I bought it used for $700. It sounds amazing, and I don't honestly care which Nancy, Doug, or Jimbob laid hands on it

My understanding of the OP is that we are talking "outrageous" prices. I know peoples idea of outrageous might be different, but I think most middle class types would probably start to reach that threshold somewhere after $3000.00. Below that price you can get all kinds of quality guitars made by Gibson, Fender, Gretsch, Rickenbacker, Martin, Taylor just to name some major brands. Even a few PRS are under that price :-"

When prices start creeping to $4000 $5000 $6000 all the way up to the Les Paul Ultima I recently saw for $12000.00 I think most people would agree that is an outrageous price. Now the question becomes is it more outrageous for the manufacturer to charge that much or for the buyer to pay that much? :-k

Outrageous is a relative term, when I bought my first Gibson I thought $900 was outrageous but the quality was worth it, when I bought my R8 a few years later when I was making more money through hard work I thought $3,000 was very reasonable for the quality.

$500 is an outrageous amount of money for some folks to be spending on a guitar, owning several guitars is also outrageous.

Frankly, it is just a matter of understanding marketing.

Example: The Ferrari market is not aimed for a guy like me, yet, I do not care that a Ferrari costs 10 to 30 times what I paid for my BMW.

Capitalism is really easy to understand, give it a try.

Neither do guitars being made at, say, Heritage. But Gibson can charge what they do because of the name and legacy.

I must have missed the part about Heritage in your earlier post. I thought you were referring to Gibson reissues.

Like the R7.

It's all about your disposable income level, The custom shop models aren't really aimed at a kid playing in a high school garage band. t's probably going into the hands of a older and established player collector that want;s the best. I personally think the CS models are a pretty good deal all hand made with the best material and careful individual attention it's gonna look and play great. There luxury items just Lie a Rolex watch or a Range Rover or anything else that's a luxury item. I would imagine the average buyer of a 5k or even 10K custom shop model is feeling less of the pain buying that then the average working stiff dropping 2k on a standard. value and quality usually hold it's value well also I bought a wonderful Zematis a few years back it cost me 28K a stiff price no question. Then just a few months ago I found one I liked even more the one I had always wanted so I sold mine for 33k and bought a nicer model so my 28k investment made me 5k in two years not a bed return on investment in anybody book. It's all about gratification I wanted a Zematis when I was a young man and I thought they were amazing, but 4K was so far out of my range at that time it would f been rent and car payments. Now it's nothing so sure I'm trading cash for a past dream but why not.

A phenomenon not unique to guitars.

Research the prices of other instruments too.

For example:

Yamaha800SeriesFlute.png

I guess there are instruments for every price range, level of quality, etc.

Does it atleast vibrate? Just asking [tongue]

[biggrin] for that much, that's the LEAST it should do.

My 10 year old son joined the school band this past year, playing flute. I got him into private lessons over last summer, and to my surprise, he's got a good ear and really took to it.

I got him a starter flute for a couple hundred bucks, in lieu of doing the school rental thing.

He did his first solo competition performance a couple of weeks ago.

Chatted with his teacher, who recommended Yamaha flutes when he's ready to move up from the starter instrument. So I've learned all about these things: Plated Nickel vs Solid Silver, opposed versus inline, B foot vs C foot, french vs closed hole... holy crap there's a lot going on.

Obviously the picture I posted was a top of the line instrument, but you can drop $2K to $3K like nothing on something that is really nothing more than a pipe with a bunch of holes cut in it (to paraphrase an earlier analogy.)

Here's a pic of my little man killing it to a click track, preparing for his solo:

flute_solo.jpg

Archived