Gibson Brands Forums

New Guitar

acdcfan67

i think les pauls should be solid and heavy not lightweight.

Then you're one of the people who should pay three times the price for a Historic Reissue, they're solid. Can't say any more that hasn 't already been beat to death on the topic, but please play one first before you decide that chambering or weight relief is evil - then it's okay to bash the lightweight ones.

Despite what Tim will tell

you' date=' chambered Pauls rock surprisingly hard.

but I agree, it's a freakin' hollow body[/quote']

If I buy another LP, I'm definitely open to the idea of weight relieved or chambered. My Custom is so heavy that it's too much to deal with over a three hour band rehearsal; my back starts hurting.

I have to wonder if those who put off the chambered ones are doing so just because it's not like the originals or if they have actually played one. It seems to me that a chambered LP must resonate/vibrate really well, much like a semi hollowbody guitar. Air is an excellent transmitter of sound.

Chambered or solid...

I prefer a solid LP myself for these reasons:

-1) Naturel compression that I love it for any distorted stuff (classic rock or hardrock). The notes blend together very easily, which is great for soloing. Fluid sustain!

-2) Solid tone . It stays tight/heavy/focused when using (lots of) distortion, at any volume. No muddy mess.

Those are my main and most important reasons. I also love the clean tone of a solid LP very much; it's a bit on the darker side, without being boomy (I like that personally).

Chambered Les Pauls have a different character. They tend to sound brighter in most cases, with a 'bell like' clean tone. You can't beat it for those clear and woody LP tones. If I think about 'Need your love so bad' (Gary Moore version) I always think about a chambered Les Paul. They're GREAT for these sort of pure clean tones. Of course they can rock (it's a LP!), but in a different way compared to a solid Les Paul. There's always that bit of 'hollowness' in the tone, which you might like or not.

To each his own.

The chambered LPs do have a different tone. Personally I like having guitars that sound different. I don't get having 5 solid Les Pauls (or 5 swiss cheese LPs - or 5 chambered LPs either). Maybe I would get it if I had money to burn. Since I don't, I really like having one of each (swiss cheese and chambered). Now all I need is a solid Historic and I am Les Pauled forever!

The chambered LPs do have a different tone. Personally I like having guitars that sound different. I don't get having 5 solid Les Pauls (or 5 swiss cheese LPs - or 5 chambered LPs either). Maybe I would get it if I had money to burn. Since I don't' date=' I really like having one of each (swiss cheese and chambered). Now all I need is a solid Historic and I am Les Pauled forever![/quote']

+1 My sentiments exactly.

Then you're one of the people who should pay three times the price for a Historic Reissue' date=' they're solid. Can't say any more that hasn 't already been beat to death on the topic, but please play one first before you decide that chambering or weight relief is evil - then it's okay to bash the lightweight ones.[/quote']

not all historics are 3X the price. you can find a new R8 for as low as $2600.

not all historics are 3X the price. you can find a new R8 for as low as $2600.

much much lower.

there are R8s and G0s to be had at 1800-2200., with 2200 being everyday. right now on MLP, you can get a B7 for $2500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and just this week there was a 1987 EDS-1275 for $1900....

much much lower.

there are R8s and G0s to be had at 1800-2200.' date=' with 2200 being everyday. right now on MLP, you can get a B7 for $2500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and just this week there was a 1987 EDS-1275 for $1900....[/quote']

i said 'new'.

i know used R8s can be much lower than that, but $2600 is pretty low for a brand new 2008 R8

but i do think gibson is getting out of hand with the size of the chambers

I think Gibson has no other choice. They want to build lighter Les Pauls with more resonance etc....that's why the chambers probably have to be large. If Gibson didn't make them large' date=' everyone would be better of with a solid/swiss cheese Les Paul (because if the chambers wouldn't be large enough, then there wouldn't be much of a difference in tone anymore between a chambered or swiss cheese Les Paul). [b']It's all done for the weight and acoustic resonance.[/b]

I have both a 20 years old solid Gibson LP Standard and a 2007 chambered LP standard...I don't need anything more than that. The solid Les Paul is what I consider as the heavy (hard)rock beast (in both tone and performance). The chambered LP Faded is woodier and brighter in tone.

To my opinion a chambered LP often tends to sound more harsh/thin in the highs (and boomy in the lows)...think about the tone differences between the new LP Traditional and 2008 LP Standard...The Traditional sounds warmer, darker and bigger to my ears.

The chambered LPs do have a different tone. Personally I like having guitars that sound different. I don't get having 5 solid Les Pauls (or 5 swiss cheese LPs - or 5 chambered LPs either). Maybe I would get it if I had money to burn. Since I don't' date=' I really like having one of each (swiss cheese and chambered). Now all I need is a solid Historic and I am Les Pauled forever![/quote']

Yep me too. My black cherry is weight relieved and my Premium Plus is chambered. I love them both...

Yep me too. My black cherry is weight relieved and my Premium Plus is chambered. I love them both...

I also have a weight relieved and chambered LP and I still prefer the weight relieved LP over the chambered LP' date=' especially for [u']versatility[/u]. I like the overal 'warmer', 'bigger' tone from the weight relieved LP much better. It still cuts through, in a sweet/singing way. With the volume knobs on 10 it's full modern (heavy/hardrock) and with the volume knobs on 6/7 it's pure classic/biting etc (still with that great sustain). It works much better for me in my set-up and for my style of playing. Tonewise they're both way different animals.

To my opinion a chambered LP often tends to sound more harsh/thin in the highs (and boomy in the lows)...think about the tone differences between the new LP Traditional and 2008 LP Standard...The Traditional sounds warmer' date=' darker and bigger to my ears. [/quote']

Remember that the Traditional has '57 Classics and the Standards (07/08, Faded) has BurstBuckers Pros. The '57s are wound with each coil getting the same amount of wire (more balanced EQ thus they should sound fuller as all fequencies are balanced) . The BB Pros have one coil with more wire which will give it that bite and seem brighter due to the bite. Also, Gibson really sets their BB Pros way to high from the factory. Drop them down 3-4 turns and they really warn up.

-Done

Remember that the Traditional has '57 Classics and the Standards (07/08' date=' Faded) has BurstBuckers Pros. The '57s are wound with each coil getting the same amount of wire (more balanced EQ thus they should sound fuller as all fequencies are balanced) . The BB Pros have one coil with more wire which will give it that bite and seem brighter due to the bite. Also, Gibson really sets their BB Pros way to high from the factory. Drop them down 3-4 turns and they really warn up.

-Done[/quote']

I agree about the pickup differences.

I personally didn't like the BB Pros that were in my chambered Les Paul Standard Faded. Although they were good pickups (lots of bite), the tone was just too bright/clear/harsh in the bridge position and boomy/muffled in the neck position. The negative thing about putting 'warmer' sounding pickups like the '57 classic in a chambered LP, is that you don't solve that 'boomy' neck sound. It would only get more boomy with the '57 classics. It didn't work for me at least.

Imagine a LP Traditional with Burstbucker Pros + a LP Standard with Burstbucker Pros. The Traditional would still sound warmer and different compared to the Standard.

I think some people would benefit from more playing ....and less analysing. good pickups in a Gibson sound good to me, chambered or not

warmer, chimey. whatever .Amps have as much to do with tone as well .so all this postulating is not very helpfull when you have your guitar in your hands thru your rig playing thru your ears.

Archived