Gibson Brands Forums

NGD -- New J-35

J-1854Me

So I just got one of the new "Banner J-35" guitars. I first saw, handled and played one a few weeks earlier, at the Fretboard Journal/Gibson-sponsored "Kalamazoo Gals" unveiling in Seattle, with John Thomas.

Came across a sweet deal on one from Fuller's Vintage, so pulled the proverbial trigger on one that Mike Fuller A/B'd for me.

Here it is:

13GibsonJ-352_zps4d7644de.jpg

13GibsonJ-35_zps08a6c946.jpg

I'll have a week at sea to audition it first, but initial impressions are very favourable -- good sound, great playability, good looks, comes with pickup so ready-for-stage. This is gonna be a good seller for Gibson, I'm thinking.

Kudos to Gibson for this one!!

Fred

Good for you, Fred! I've also been thinking about getting one of these since I saw one recently at the local Scam Cash. I'll be interested to see how it grows on you. Do you also have a J-45?

What do you mean a week at sea? Are you traveling?

Good for you, Fred! I've also been thinking about getting one of these since I saw one recently at the local Scam Cash. I'll be interested to see how it grows on you. Do you also have a J-45?

What do you mean a week at sea? Are you traveling?

Hey Gary -- I don't have a J-45. *Had* a 49-50 J-45 with a top refin, for a while -- sold that to "Hoss" many years ago, and no idea where that one is now.

Have a J-50, and this is similar but a bit more 'barky'.

A week at sea = cruise vacation. [biggrin]

Best

Fred

Congrats!...on a sweet-looking Gibson [thumbup] Is it lightly built?

Yes -- it IS lightly built! Go figure! It has an active pickup in it, with a battery on the neck block and the volume control inside the soundhole.

Love the natural finish back and neck too!

Fred

Yes -- it IS lightly built! Go figure! It has an active pickup in it, with a battery on the neck block and the volume control inside the soundhole.

Love the natural finish back and neck too!

Fred

does it have a thicker neck than the 45's? And also I notice they put the pickguard in the right place.[thumbup]

I've been playing this guitar for a week, while on a cruise -- it's been fun to have along!

I'm liking it more day by day. It's got a nice full voice, the action is just about perfect, and the neck is a medium-C shape, I'd say. Don't know what the strings on it are, but they are slinky and feel good.

Fred

• 2 months later...

Congratulations! I've played two myself and was favorably impressed. I noticed that the Gibson site says they come strung with 11s. I'd be interested to see how they sound with 12s.

Enjoy!

I put Pearse 600Ls on it and 700m. I'd need to switch back to the 12s to double check, but I think that I like 12s better than 13s. In my opinion, almost too much string, sort of chokes the airy quality of the tone. I'd probably do the best of both worlds, and string it lighter on the bass side and stick to 17 and 13 on the treble.

But I am curious how others have experimented with strings on the J35 too.

Has anyone experimented with different strings on their new J35?

mj- not yet. i would also like to here what others have tried or might suggest?

the strings that came on my guitar are just warming up- and they sound great! (Gibson strings i imagine...)

really looking forward to trying a bunch of different strings on this beast though!

on my list to try so far-

D'Addario EJ16 (my default string in the past- interested in seeing what they are like on the J35)

DR Rare PB

Martin Lifespan SP

D'Addario EXP

madhat.

I tried the Martin lifespans on mine and really didn't like them. I currently have the John Pearse 600L's on it and I am liking them so far.

thanks Jalex!

i will add those JPs to the list

madhat.

Archived