Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone own/play Rocksmith 2014 ?

crust

On a side note: GameStop has the 2014 with cable on sale for $50 this week.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is worth a special trip. As long as GameStop the gas to get there is not too high.

Ralph

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I ordered this for my daughter and I while Amazon had it marked down. I've played a couple of times and wasn't that impressed. It's not very intuitive. I'll give it a little more time as I was pretty stoked to get it…I thought my daughter and I could have some fun together with it.

I ordered this for my daughter and I while Amazon had it marked down. I've played a couple of times and wasn't that impressed. It's not very intuitive. I'll give it a little more time as I was pretty stoked to get it…I thought my daughter and I could have some fun together with it.

Yeah you can go all over the place with this game as it is not structured on purpose. However, if you follow the lessons it is decently done and makes more sense.

I bought this last weekend, and my first impression was that it was something like Guitar Hero with a ton of add-ons, lessons, and uses a real guitar. My intent was/is to get back into playing after having not had a guitar for about 5 years, and wanted to see how it would help me get back up to speed.

In all honesty, the colored strings throw me off as I'm not used to going by color. And some of the lessons are aggravating, i.e. harmonics, as I nail it each time and it still thinks I screwed something up.

So far I'm not sure where I stand with it. Think it'll take some time to really get used to it.

if i can help anyone sort through anything re: rocksmith, feel free to ask. i can't really help peeps here when it comes to being a guitar player but i've got 700+ hours playing rocksmith and can maybe help with that.

Have you purchased additional tunes ? Do you have the original, as well as the "2014" version. Do they work in conjunction with one another? if so, how ?

Have you purchased additional tunes ? Do you have the original, as well as the "2014" version. Do they work in conjunction with one another? if so, how ?

yes, i've bought prolly 20 dlc tunes, i do have the original rocksmith and use it a lot still.

the 2 versions do not work in conjunction, scores do not carry over, the tuner is completely different on the 2, the scoring is different, the interfaces are different, the note recognition software is different. also, the guitarcade games are different.

most all songs from rs original can be imported into rs2014, using the $10 import dlc from steam. the only songs that do not get imported are clapton, cream and the star spangled banner.

I gave it another shot tonight and once I got the hang of the layout it was fun. I played around with a song and then a few of the arcade games. Not what I'd call serious guitar practice, but it's enjoyable and lets me play a game with my guitar in my hands. I think I'll get my money's worth out of it now.

And the repaired LP Special I P90 is now the designated Rocksmith guitar. That way I don't have to worry when my daughter and her friends are playing the game.

Scott…

Are you using PS3 for this? I have a PS3 and am having serious latency issues. It was tolerable in the beginning but with the speed and difficulty advanced, it's very hard to deal with. Right now I have the PS3 running to the TV via HDMI. The sheet about lag that comes with the game shows the optimal setups, but I really don't want to buy a home theater system right now. I'm considering the headphone option but I'd have to buy a component cable and then I think the video quality would be degraded from the current HDMI resolution.

Anyway, just wondering what your setup is and what you recommend. Thanks.

Scott…

Are you using PS3 for this? I have a PS3 and am having serious latency issues. It was tolerable in the beginning but with the speed and difficulty advanced, it's very hard to deal with. Right now I have the PS3 running to the TV via HDMI. The sheet about lag that comes with the game shows the optimal setups, but I really don't want to buy a home theater system right now. I'm considering the headphone option but I'd have to buy a component cable and then I think the video quality would be degraded from the current HDMI resolution.

much better with the component cables if you don't have a separate amp/system. get them working by holding down the power button for 6 seconds or so when you're turning it on. turning it on normally should revert to hdmi.

I got RS 2014 a few weeks ago and have clocked up almost 120 hours. I find this version to be far more engaging than the original which I only managed 55 hours before getting fed up with the latency. I have no latency issues with the 2014 version and am still working my way through the songs, enjoying it immensely.

Scott…

much better with the component cables if you don't have a separate amp/system. get them working by holding down the power button for 6 seconds or so when you're turning it on. turning it on normally should revert to hdmi.

i'm using the pc version, over at the rs forum, i was able to find some more info, if col's solution doesn't completely solve the issue.

:::::::::

There's good news for you, actually. If you have the PS3 component cables, you can connect both the HDMI and the component audio to your system at the same time.

As long as you have Multi-Out set to ON in your PS3's audio settings, your audio will be output through both your HDMI and component cables.

All you would have to do is switch between those inputs on your receiver.

:::::::

in the pc version, i can adjust for latency under the settings menu, idk if that's a solution for you w/ps3. i know on pc, the game prefers an on-motherboard audio, as opposed to a separate audio card.

i can pm you the link to the thread over there, but am not sure if that is against the rules here? it's a good 10 pages long, prolly more info in there if the above does not solve things.

I like it. I used it for 2 days then my pc wouldn't go any farther.

I have already committed to buy a Korean Les Paul. Once it's paid off I'm getting a newer pc or maybe a new one if the price is right.

But yeah, Rocksmith is getting great revues all over the place.

I would bet some other company will issue another product like it but even better.

That's how the market works.

Ralph

I have the older version and the new version is on the way. It got damaged in shipping and returned to Amazon otherwise I would have it already. [cursing] [cursing]

The thing that I like about it is that it makes games out of practicing things that can be otherwise tedious to practice. It has also turned me on to some newer music that I like and had not heard before. I am excited to see the improvements of the newer version. This is not my main source of learning but it is a good practice tool. I have found myself sitting down to play and before I know it I have just practiced for hours. That is what I like about it. It keeps it interesting. I have seen improvements in my timing and my playing reflexes.

I got rs 2014 for myself for Christmas and I am enjoying it. I have the PC version and it works great on my laptop as long as I don't use hdmi audio. I've only been a bedroom player and it's really helping me with playing more accurately since it's much harder to gloss over when I make a mistake. My one gripe is that learning solos with this is hard and wish they had a tab view. I immediately inverted the neck to match tab since playing with the see thru neck was hard for me.

The only thing about the game i actually enjoy is the session mode with the band that plays with you.the actual game has horrible lag for me on xbox360.i also don't like the colored strings or the transparent neck.as a learning tool it has completely failed me.as a game it is far too frustrating to be any fun,and it has made me put my guitar down far more than making me pick it up.i hate it.that being said someone with a different way of playing guitar or reading music may love it but you can't tell me that a game that is supposed to tech you would fail me on easy and then give me an 80% on the same song in advanced setting.it's something i just can't figure out.the game is not for me.i do like the guitarcade though and all in all i really wish i liked it more the concept is so good and it seems like it should be fun.

the actual game has horrible lag for me on xbox360.

don't know what your setup is like but many users experience bad lag when both video and audio are running through HDMI. you may well already have investigated and had no luck but there's a guide here with configurations that minimise lag. i got the game and messed about with it for a few hours. had some fun with it but have to say that it wasn't for me either.

this forum software is not letting me quote you, Ralph, it keeps showing an opening quote tag error.

anyhoo-

there's an option to change to view to reflect tablature. from what i've gathered, the designers concluded the default 3d view would be from behind the neck, it's caused quite a bit of discussion re: whether that's right or wrong. i was concerned about that myself but as i am seguing into learning songs via tabs, i've found it hasn't hindered me.

Scott0,

When you mention reflect tablature, where is it? I have the PC Version.

Thanks,

Scott0,

When you mention reflect tablature, where is it? I have the PC Version.

Thanks,

in rs2014, you will want to go to tools->options->play settings-> invert strings and check mark the box

that will change the view of the strings so that the little E is at the top descending down to the big E string.

[smile]

Yeah you can go all over the place with this game as it is not structured on purpose. However, if you follow the lessons it is decently done and makes more sense.

great thread guys... quick question can one have different game saves ?

for example I want my daughters progress to be saved separately to mine ..

thanks !

Great thread

I got RS2014 for Christmas as well and today was the first time I've used it

I love it, have already set a schedule of 30 minutes to one hour in the morning after work to practice/play

Don

great thread guys... quick question can one have different game saves ?

for example I want my daughters progress to be saved separately to mine ..

thanks !

presumably if she uses a separate account she'll start off with a clean sheet. for example use a different psn id on the playstation or log in as a different user on pc. sure you can do the same with xbox too but it's been a while since i endured enjoyed one.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the older version and the new version is on the way. It got damaged in shipping and returned to Amazon otherwise I would have it already. [cursing] [cursing]

The thing that I like about it is that it makes games out of practicing things that can be otherwise tedious to practice. It has also turned me on to some newer music that I like and had not heard before. I am excited to see the improvements of the newer version. This is not my main source of learning but it is a good practice tool. I have found myself sitting down to play and before I know it I have just practiced for hours. That is what I like about it. It keeps it interesting. I have seen improvements in my timing and my playing reflexes.

Hi Guys, I just started Rocksmith 1 thanks to your advice, what is really annoying me is that you have to tune your guitar every twenty seconds can you turn this feature off?

Apart from that I'm loving it :)

Archived