Gibson Brands Forums

First Gibson

wooglins

Well it arrived today. I will post some quick pictures, not the best I generally take pride in the quality of my photos but it is night and I wanted to get the pictures up today.

The Gibson so far has exceeded my expectations but it is far too soon to give a good tonal assessment. It needs a setup, as most factory built guitars do, and it will get it tommorow. I will give an update of how it plays after the setup, but so far it is first very powerful and plays nicely. Nice articulate notes from string to string, and build quality is good.

I can give it an aesthetic assessment which is WOW!!! The back is amazing. It was what I would expect to find on a BTO Taylor, or custom shop Martin or Gibson. Flamed and amazing colors. The top is also very nice, not what you normally find in this price range. No major flaws, and very high number of grains per inch, as well as very nice silking.

13999067561_2bced19819_b.jpg

Back

14022250253_37360d44d6_b.jpg

Side

14002677234_f8b7bdfde1_b.jpg

Headstock

14002675294_36002f33c0_b.jpg

I have been searching for J 15s in the Lansing/Detroit areas of Michigan. I am broke and not in the market for a new guitar but these just look so cool! I'd love to play one.

I got my first Gibson, a 2007 SJ 100, a few years ago off of craigslist. Nothing can compare to that feeling and someone on here told me, never let that first one go. I have had many financial hardships recently and have listed it a few times. In my heart, I know I couldn't let it go and I hope you never do either.

It is a beautiful guitar, congrats!

Nothing can compare to that feeling and someone on here told me, never let that first one go.

Ain't that the truth. My first Gibson was a 1930s L-00. I did not know a good guitar from a can of tuna when I bought it but I liked the way it looked and it was cheap. Had just enough in my pocket to bring it home. A lot of decades down the road I have never forgotten that guitar.

Ok early review:

First things first which was comparison. Wife was little help and she is usually able to pickup quickly on which guitar is the Top shelf BTO Taylor and which one is a new one. In this case she said I cant help they both sound really good but different but one is louder. The louder guitar was the J-15.

My personal opinion is that the J-15 is a steal, and is very close to guitars costing 3-4 times its price. Very articulate from string to string, and very punchy. Strums like a dream and does fingerstyle with almost an equal amount of performance. The bass is very defined and does not break up, and the highs ring true. No string rattle (that is my term some other people call is chiming whatever). Playability is insane, the neck is a dream, and the combination of the short scale and light strings make it a very easy player. What is strange is the light strings do not seem to effect the volume, and I almost think that medium strings would hurt it from a tonal standpoint.

Now for the shortcomings, build quality is not quite equal to top notch guitars, but most people would not notice the little nitpicky things I notice like an unsanded brace, etc. It needed a setup, and it is my guess that they all do. Not a minor setup, but more along the line of things that should occur at the factory like proper adjustment of the saddle and nut. It sounded good from the factory, but after the setup it was in an entirely different league.

It needed a setup, and it is my guess that they all do. Not a minor setup, but more along the line of things that should occur at the factory like proper adjustment of the saddle and nut. It sounded good from the factory, but after the setup it was in an entirely different league.

It's more likely that every one is going to be different.

My J-15 was set up beautifully out of the box, only needing a minor truss rod adjustment.

Congrats. No feeling compares to getting your first 'top shelf' guitar. Well, there is meeting your true love. And kids. And your first new car. But this is definitely in life's Top Ten. Hope you are able to keep it and pass it down. Was the Taylor that came in 2nd also a walnut? G'Luck.

Congrats. No feeling compares to getting your first 'top shelf' guitar. Well, there is meeting your true love. And kids. And your first new car. But this is definitely in life's Top Ten. Hope you are able to keep it and pass it down. Was the Taylor that came in 2nd also a walnut? G'Luck.

The Taylor did not come in 2nd, it is Adirondack over Cocobolo, but the J-15 is louder but does not have the punchy power that the Taylor has. The Taylor is more complex in tone, but it is very close especially when price in considered. What is cool is all of my instruments are the same scale. I have always loved short-scale and each is nearly identical in their short-scale measurement.

Congrats on your new guitar. Every one of those j-15's that I've seen, either in person or in a picture, just blows my mind in regards to the beautiful wood on the backs. I just find it hard to believe that Gibson can make such a stunning guitar at that price point. Plus, the ones that I've played sound and play very well, much better than their price suggests. One of my local dealers has offered me one at an unbelievable price and I'm having a real hard time trying to justify another guitar. I think I may just have to take him up on offer, they are too nice of a guitar to pass.

Enjoy your new baby..... [thumbup]

That back/sides IS stunning........but what grabbed my eyes is the top wood! From the pic I can see light silking and a terrific grain width! I have a 2002 Gibson with that identical grain and silking. If mine is any indication...your new J will open up with a tonal quality that will astound you. Congrats on a beauty! J.D.

Just started to play about a month ago, bought a Yamaha FG700s as a beginner. I decided I really wanted to get into this, after researching I got it down to the Taylor 314ce, Martin DG16 and the J15. I go to GC to test drive and they had and in store special on the J15 for $1299. Couldn't resist that deal, got the J15 home.... AWESOME! I still like my Yammy though

post-65011-066215500 1398715090_thumb.jpg

That back/sides IS stunning........but what grabbed my eyes is the top wood! From the pic I can see light silking and a terrific grain width! I have a 2002 Gibson with that identical grain and silking. If mine is any indication...your new J will open up with a tonal quality that will astound you. Congrats on a beauty! J.D.

Thanks the top is quite nice. It is a little stiff right now and it is clear there is plenty of room for opening up which is a great thing in my opinion.

Just started to play about a month ago, bought a Yamaha FG700s as a beginner. I decided I really wanted to get into this, after researching I got it down to the Taylor 314ce, Martin DG16 and the J15. I go to GC to test drive and they had and in store special on the J15 for $1299. Couldn't resist that deal, got the J15 home.... AWESOME! I still like my Yammy though

Congrats on your new J-15 they are nice guitars and I love the back on yours.

Thanks the top is quite nice. It is a little stiff right now and it is clear there is plenty of room for opening up which is a great thing in my opinion.

Congrats on your new J-15 they are nice guitars and I love the back on yours.

I know very little about guitars, but I love my Gibson! I have learned alot in the past month and I'm looking forward to learning more in this forum.

That's a really beautiful guitar and if my 7 year old Hummingbird Artist is any indication, you ain't heard nothin' yet!

I wasn't familiar with the J-15 so I searched around on the net to educate myself and noticed one very odd fact. Unlike just about any other new guitar, the price on the Gibson website is $1,499 and the going price at the on-line sellers is $1,499. What's up with that??? [confused]

Archived