Gibson Brands Forums

Opinion on comments about Gibson Les pauls .

masliko

Hi guys,recently i noticed another surg in Gibson hate(& Fender hate for that matter) on the internet,usually on YouTube and the like.

We all know and it is well documented, that a Competitor Corporation can hire PR companies that run a lot of fake accounts to comment on YouTube and places like that,is that to blame?

I also have owned guitars from all over the world in the past and i have never had any of them be as good , to the US made guitars like Gibson or Fender.

So i was wondering,as Gibson owner why you think that is?jealousy,propaganda via fake accounts-competitors,ignorance,just repeated rubbish,or just pure hate.

I personally love my Gibson Les Pauls and realized anything that is not totally made by machine is not going to be perfect,in the true sense of the word.I'm happy with the product and have never had any problems with them.,and also know that Gibson would fix any real defect at structure level wherever i buy one in the world.I personally believe that Gibson(and Fender for that fact) are making some awesome guitars in the last five years.

I personally own a 72,78,07,13 and they are amazing.The 07,is my favorite of all,because of the sustain,cut,resonance,tight bottom/warmth and is beautifully made but all Gibson models are great in their own way.

thoughts.....

I own several Gibsons as well as Guitars from other Manufacturers, some made outside of the US. I love them all. The truth is, in the 25+ years I have played guitar, I've owned several guitars, some I liked, some not so much. Its a matter of matching the guitar to the player.

I have also noticed an increase in the Gibson hate in recent months. Mostly as a result of the 2015 price increases. In fact, one of the most shocking slams i heard recently was in a local music store, where a sales person actually recommended a customer buy another brand because Gibsons were simply over priced. Hmmm...Thats upselling for ya...?

Yes..you WILL pay a lot more for a Gibson. My opinion is simple: You DO get what you pay for. The wood, the hand craftsmanship, and accuracy, the feel...i could go on. Some things are just worth saving for.

i think the opposite. i think it's because gibson guitars are severely over priced, and people are finally realizing the emperor has no clothes. it's not that i don't like them, i have one, and it's not my first. however, truth is, i can buy a much cheaper guitar, do a few upgrades, and end up with something every bit as nice for far less. i really don't understand why people continue to ignore the interview henry J did where he stated clearly why gibby's prices are what they are. it's just branding. he found that when he raised prices, it increased sales because people like exclusivity. it really is that simple. but when you spend upwards of 3 grand for something no nicer than something else for a grand, you don't like to face that you could have bought alot more gear with your $$ had you made a less emotional choice. gibby makes nice guitars, no question. are they worth the price? no.

IMHO, I just don't care what other people think. If I like the guitar, it plays well, sounds great, and looks good then I'll probably buy it regardless of who made it and what others may think of it.

Rock on and have a good time, not much else really matters!!! :)

There's always gonna be the hatah's can't stop that, half the time I think people complain just for the sake of complaining. I've got a bunch of guitars, most are USA made Gibby's, Fenders or taylor acoustics, either I'm wicked lucky, or I'm just not all that picky. I'm totally happy with the overall quality of all of them.

and then there's this:

i can buy a much cheaper guitar, do a few upgrades, and end up with something every bit as nice for far less.

To be sure there's definitely cheaper alternatives, no doubt about it. Some of the newer Epiphones, from what I've seen anyway, are for sure very nice instruments for a fraction of the costs of the USA made counter part, and you really don't NEED to change anything. my band mate never pays more than $275 for a guitar. (many are korean imports, or 80s Japanese.) we've been working together in bands since 1977, he's a real good player, and seems to do just fine with these. Can he afford a USA Gibson, DEFINITELY! he just doesn't see the point.

Dollars and Cents wise, as you look around the market the prices of ALL USA made brands continue to ratchet up. Strats and Teles are just a few hundred dollars shy of $1,500 and the costs of USA made gibsons this year is definitely a put off.

I have 5 gibbys, I've had a few for a real long time, and the most recent purchase (2012 SG Standard) was in my opinion, affordable @ $1,200 I start to get cold feet though at $1,800 for the same axe. Sadly that's where the prices are these days.

I can't actually see myself dropping $3k + on a new LP, especially with the changes that have been made for 2015. I'd be forced in to the 2nd hand market which is fine. My 95 LP I got new in August of 96 for $1,200 which seemed like a lot of dough at the time. in 04 I bought a second hand 02 LP Stnd for around $1,300.. I thought it was a great deal, and it was pretty much 9.5 condition wise.

As a player, I just like what I like, and what works for me. Does it work for others, maybe not.. but the fact is I'm just as happy playing my Epi Swingster Royal that I got for an unreal price of $579 (the guitar that cost me the least amount in my 20 guitar collection) as I am playing my $2,000 Taylor (the most I've ever paid for a guitar) and everything in between.

I..

Love..

Guitars..

/KB

• 2 weeks later...

IMHO, I just don't care what other people think. If I like the guitar, it plays well, sounds great, and looks good then I'll probably buy it regardless of who made it and what others may think of it.

Rock on and have a good time, not much else really matters!!! :)

[thumbup]

I think that hate is "in". It has become hip to hate things these days, not just Gibson and Fender.

I admit, it IS infectious, but it's far better and more productive to think about love.

[thumbup] Agree completely.

I believe that most people feel ignored, exhausted and ripped off. This makes them look for outlets to overcome the feel of powerlessness and frustration. So they are bashing whatever comes their way. It's a cry for social justice. Like always, just in my humble opinion.

We can't tell everyone the secret. Its like Old Number 7 Bourbon, secret recipe. lol. imho. Gibson magic dust. Its from the forests of North America where the elfs play. Same place the Keebler elfs make the cookies.

I have owned four makes of guitars , my first a Sears Silvertone amp in case $64 then on to Fender , Gibson and Collins all American made . Never had a problem with any of them , some people are going to complain no matter what.

4H

I personally own a 72,78,07,13 and they are amazing.The 07,is my favorite of all,because of the sustain,cut,resonance,tight bottom/warmth and is beautifully made but all Gibson models are great in their own way.

I personally am all in favor of warm tight bottoms. That's why all my guitars are female.

Gibson "knocking" seems to be some peoples favourite past time, you see it a lot on the Acoustic Guitar Forum, usually by Martin owners, but at least Gibson don't make guitars out of kitchen work top or paper like materials.

Regarding the price it's quite simple, Gibson are a premium brand therefore they command premium money.

The same can be said of Premium brand watches etc, as an example who in their right minds would pay thousands of pounds for a Rolex when a £15 quartz watch from a supermarket will keep the just as well, if not better? If you want top notch gear you've got to pay for it, and of course if you have that gear it makes some people resentful.

Ian

Ian nailed it!

Premium brand!!!

I don't get it sometimes, what do those haters expect to get a Ferrari for the price of a Fiat?

I don't know it's boring to hear people whining about QC issues and the like of Gibson. If yo dont like it, nobody put's a gun on your head and forces you to buy one. Go grab some other brand and be happy with it.

Most of the things in my life that money can buy are not cheap stuff but items on a budget which nicely do. My watch, household gear, communication devices, car, even multitrack recorders and outboards are high quality at very reasonable prices.

When it's about guitars, a reasonable price is a different thing. Hybrid guitars like an Alex Lifeson Les Paul Axcess and SG Supra are niche products and without competition. It would be much more expensive to have similar one-offs built. I'm glad to have them, more than ever since their production was ceased.

I also found out that emulating amps, speaker and effects is as feasible as convenient. In contrary, emulating or simulating guitars simply doesn't work. Hours of fooling around with virtual guitar systems were nothing but disillusioning for me. I'm not that sensitive when it's about playability, but the lack of tonal authenticity really bugs me. Some people say it won't count anymore as soon as the drums set in, but that argument doesn't count for me. Perhaps tolerable in the average live application, it won't work for recording grade requirements, even in multitrack live recording. Then there's the latency buildup - I could write a book about it...

Until now I didn't find a guitar that could keep up with a Les Paul's sustain. I also found none that produces or emulates the voice of a Les Paul, SG, Explorer, L6S, Fender Stratocaster or Telecaster. There's nothing like the real thing.

I own three nice Gibson Les Pauls. I'm not a propaganda company working for anybody. If you want to love the new Gibson fine and God bless. I don't remotely care for what has been done to the 2015 Gibson Les Pauls. There are many of us which are highly dissatisfied with the new Les Pauls. The price increase is another part of this sore subject as well. If you like your 2015 right on! Don't let no one piss on your parade. I'm sure many hate my 2010 Standard Plus with a chambered body. I have not lost a minute sleep over it. Opinions are like an *** because we all have one.

I own three nice Gibson Les Pauls. I'm not a propaganda company working for anybody. If you want to love the new Gibson fine and God bless. I don't remotely care for what has been done to the 2015 Gibson Les Pauls. There are many of us which are highly dissatisfied with the new Les Pauls. The price increase is another part of this sore subject as well. If you like your 2015 right on! Don't let no one piss on your parade. I'm sure many hate my 2010 Standard Plus with a chambered body. I have not lost a minute sleep over it. Opinions are like an *** because we all have one.

Sorry, i dont know who your comment is directed at.But anyhow, i didn't know there was a 2010 Standard plus chambered?I personally love the chambered Les Paul's and so do many others.Is it chambered like the 06-08's? I would be happy to just own 07's.

I dont have a problem with the prices, but in saying that,i would never spend over US$2000 on any guitar(I only buy standards) and I'm not rich just a bus driver.In fact the more expensive the guitar is,the less i enjoy playing it because then the item(guitar) becomes more important than my playing,which for me is BS.

I personally have no opinion on the 15's,i haven't tried one.But i would never use an robot tuner and i really dislike the look of it.I'm a very basic guy,and just like an old fashion guitar,amp and stomp box's.

On topic: I dont find they hate about prices,i find the hate is generally with people comparing cheaper guitars with better guitars and saying they are as good which is just not true.Maybe to a 18 year old?

A wino will tell you his $4 bottle of vino is as good as $200 bottle of cab sav because he does not know any better.

I have and always will only own American guitars.

Me too dude,I'm with you and I'm not American.If you want to call me a snob,go for it!

Sorry about the triple posts i can play guitar but cant work forums [blush] .

Gibson Les Pauls are great guitars. Very robust, solid, and cool tone machines. Yes, sometimes, you have to hunt down a Les Paul Standard that has a great looking top. But isn't that half the fun? Before I got my Standard, I had looked at and played 10+ Les Pauls. My Les Paul never lets me down. I get great tones from it, and I like the way it looks. Does that mean I don't like guitars from other manufacturers? No. Even though I'm currently not playing them a lot, I have a couple of Fenders that I can't see myself get rid off any time soon. My Gibson guitars are my favorites, though. I play the hell out of them! So, it's all personal. I know people that will only play Fender, and I know people that are crazy about Gibson or PRS. It's all subjective. People will sometimes ***** about a certain guitar or brand, because they can't afford to get a guitar like that. You have to keep that in mind...

Cheers

Archived