Gibson Brands Forums

NPCD

surfpup

That's right folks.... New Pickup Cover Day! :rolleyes:

I was putting new strings on my Faded SG Special today and suddenly remembered I had some old pickup covers about... low and behold they were a perfect fit. One is a slightly different finish than the other (one raw and one gloss, but I hit the glossy one with a Scotch Brite pad and it's close enough now).

Wish I' had thought of this last string change. I like the look of SGs with covers better than without.

Before and after...

DSC_0039.jpg

IMG_6503.jpg

IMG_6502.jpg

Very nice job sir!

Any difference at all in how they sound?

:mellow:

Nah... they sound the same. Purely cosmetic. Sometimes covers can add a little ringing squeal at high gain settings - especially if they don't fit really tightly. Haven't noticed this yet, but if I do I just stuff a little foam into the body cavity. Works like a charm.

I like the look of SGs with covers better than without....

Me too. And a set of reflector knobs into the bargain. Nice!

Lovely job, Surf! Very SG Standard-like. Did you go down the full PG-mod route or just turn the p'up around?..............:-k

FWIW after yesterday's NBD thread when I first saw this thread title I was half-expecting it to be New Piece of Crap Day. Happily I was mistaken!

Pip.

Lovely job, Surf! Very SG Standard-like. Did you go down the full PG-mod route or just turn the p'up around?..............:-k

Just flipped around. I like to do that on Les Pauls too - just to bring the taller adjustable bits a little closer to the middle and brighten up the neck pickup a little bit.

Just flipped around. I like to do that on Les Pauls too - just to bring the taller adjustable bits a little closer to the middle and brighten up the neck pickup a little bit.

Interesting. Do you notice a difference?

Interesting. Do you notice a difference?

Wouldn't keep doing it if I didn't. [biggrin]

I wouldn't call it night and day mind you. But it's a bit brighter and less boomy - especially if you raise those pole pieces.

Wouldn't keep doing it if I didn't. [biggrin]

I wouldn't call it night and day mind you. But it's a bit brighter and less boomy - especially if you raise those pole pieces.

Cool. I love the upgrades. You did a good job deglossing, I can't tell which cover is which.

Archived