Gibson Brands Forums

Relic'd Acoustic Guitars

BluesKing777

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a dealer for Atkin so I've played a few of the relic models. I like Alister's guitars anyway but I think the relic ones I've played are the best he's made. The relic effect is tastefully done on the more recent ones, with the gouges and scratches dialed back to a minimum and mainly just checking in the lacquer to give the impression of aging, and by not trying too hard I think they look a lot more convincing than the typical electric relics. A lot of work went into getting a lacquer that would easily check and it's a thin coat compared to the standard gloss models.

Take it with a pinch of salt if you like as I do have a vested interest in selling these things but to my eyes they look great and, more importantly, sound exceptional.

As an owner of an original L-1 the Atkin version is a good impression of one but it has a Martin style X brace under the bonnet so it doesn't do the bright, snappy sound of an H or A braced L-1. It's not that close to an L00 either - really it has its own thing going on.

Couldn't you just let a five year old play with it for about a minute to get the "relic"effect?

:blink: :blink: :blink:

That could be the 'light' relic.....if you want the 'heavy' relic you could say to the brother-in-law: "Look after this guitar while I go to the bathroom, will ya?"

Or let the friend with full acid guitar peeling sweat problem and who eats fried chicken while playing have a lend of your guitar for the weekend!

Maybe Atkin could give those 2 a full time job? [laugh]

Or worse, get the roadie to change your strings......

BluesKing777.

:blink: :blink: :blink:

That could be the 'light' relic.....if you want the 'heavy' relic you could say to the brother-in-law: "Look after this guitar while I go to the bathroom, will ya?"

Or let the friend with full acid guitar peeling sweat problem and who eats fried chicken while playing have a lend of your guitar for the weekend!

Maybe Atkin could give those 2 a full time job? [laugh]

Or worse, get the roadie to change your strings......

BluesKing777.

[laugh]

or they could do the 'Checked-in on a Discount Airline' Relic.

I kinda feel that the torrefaction trend is a step in the relic direction in and of itself. But,Jayyj do you know any more about the lacquer that Atkins used to achieve checking so early in the life of the guitars? You mention it is thin but anything else about it? Is it nitrocellulose? I've come to suspect that checking or crazing takes more tension out of the finish and allows the top to move/vibrate more easily and is a contributing factor to older guitars (newer ones too) sounding more open.

My 18 month old grandson was over for Thanksgiving. He almost relic'd my whole freekin' house. He stared at all the wall candy but couldn't quite reach the lower bouts to pull 'em down. Next year...watch out.

You could get him some work at the new Martin Custom Relic Department shop - earn some cash for the guitar fund!

Someone at UMGF suggested using the returns from GC to relic, if needed.

BluesKing777.

I kinda feel that the torrefaction trend is a step in the relic direction in and of itself. But,Jayyj do you know any more about the lacquer that Atkins used to achieve checking so early in the life of the guitars? You mention it is thin but anything else about it? Is it nitrocellulose? I've come to suspect that checking or crazing takes more tension out of the finish and allows the top to move/vibrate more easily and is a contributing factor to older guitars (newer ones too) sounding more open.

Get the Dremmel on to that J50! Leave it near the BBQ while cooking.....

Let us know how you go!

I am with you on the finish of old guitars, or lack of, contributing the sound I like. I don't think a couple of my guitars have any finish left - sound great.

BluesKing777.

The lacquer/tone relationship is one I ponder. I love having no pick guards but my L0 and 00018 are at risk for getting worn raw where my pinky, ring and middle finger brush across the top when flat picking. When I had my L00's back re-lacquered because someone had previously flubbed an overspray, my guitar guy convinced me to go glossy. It worked out well and was beautiful in smelly old-school lacquer. The two others should probably be sprayed out to avoid the beginnings of top wear. I'm thinking it may alter the tone a tiny bit. They both have a satin-like sheen, which I'm sticking with, but it's a one and done thing. They sound so good, as is. Not sure I want to risk changing that top response.

The lacquer/tone relationship is one I ponder. I love having no pick guards but my L0 and 00018 are at risk for getting worn raw where my pinky, ring and middle finger brush across the top when flat picking. When I had my L00's back re-lacquered because someone had previously flubbed an overspray, my guitar guy convinced me to go glossy. It worked out well and was beautiful in smelly old-school lacquer. The two others should probably be sprayed out to avoid the beginnings of top wear. I'm thinking it may alter the tone a tiny bit. They both have a satin-like sheen, which I'm sticking with, but it's a one and done thing. They sound so good, as is. Not sure I want to risk changing that top response.

I was 'nearly almost about to' get the L-0 painted, but my luthier is a 'leave well enough alone' type of guy. I wonder what happens to the top next? Full rot and collapse?

I keep it humidfied with Humidipaks, worked well so far.

Hiscox1f_zpsfl0acewv.jpg

BluesKing777.

I'm not a fan of relic'd guitars for the most part, very few in my limited experience look like the real deal. As for real wear and tear, assuming it's nothing structural I usually see that as a sign of a good guitar when I'm shopping for one. Let's face it a pristine old guitar usually means it wasn't that great to begin with.

Ain't no BBQing going on around here this time of year! It's forecast to be fourteen below zero tomorrow night and it's snowing right now. I have set my J-50 out in sub-zero temperatures three times now, each time for about forty minutes. What's interesting about that is the top has begun to craze but not all that much. Years ago I had a friend leave a fly rod out in his car all night and the entire rod had a crackled, crazed finish come the next morning. The back and sides on my J-50 haven't crazed one bit though. I suspect the finish is thicker on the back and sides and that they don't vibrate as much as the top. Putting it through the regimen that E-minor7 recommended in that post I listed here added a few more cracks in the top's finish. I wouldn't have thought that was possible by giving it the Pete Townsend treatment. But this guitar has finally begun to loosen up. The thing was tighter than bark on a tree up until about a month or so ago. I still love the looks of your L0 of all of your guitars though BK.

I'm not a fan of relic'd guitars for the most part, very few in my limited experience look like the real deal. As for real wear and tear, assuming it's nothing structural I usually see that as a sign of a good guitar when I'm shopping for one. Let's face it a pristine old guitar usually means it wasn't that great to begin with.

Agreed. Let the high $ collector folks have those, or keep 'em in a museum for study and reference.

I've taken some pains to try to keep my guitars from looking like that; guess I don't know why anybody would buy one that does, especially a faked one. Kinda like those worn out jeans that folks with more money than sense pay big $ for I guess.

That strikes a chord (oops, no pun intended). It took me literally years to come to terms with pre-faded when they appeared on the market😫 Maybe the next deal will be pre-played strings?

This seems like a weird endeavor -- they are clearly not trying to fool anyone.

It turns out we own the real version of both of the Martin relics shown -- a 35 D-28 and a 21 0-28. When you are searching for -- and buying -- old guitars, you have to learn a lot about what you are looking at. This is particularly true with regard to finish checking. The way the 20s and 30s finishes age is quite different from one another and from other periods and makes of guitar -- and it seems to me they would be hard to duplicate. In today's vintage market, original finishes are a big $ question, so it is important.

It is hard to tell from pictures, but most of the pictures would have left me questioning. The top of the D-28 looks pretty close though.

Let's pick,

-Tom

I am still waiting to get my car back after blowing the motor 2 1/2 weeks ago, so there are new guitars in my immediate future! But if there were, that Atkin 43 Historic Relic......well, ........ [glare] [glare] [glare]

BluesKing777.

Didn't want to start another thread but had some excitement!

Car is back from the mechanic with a 'relic'd' motor. (used supposedly identical motor from auto wreckers)

It is way faster than the last motor, noisier, louder, nicer tone, can't see any serious splits or cracks and I can't tell what wood the back is? Oops, getting mixed up with guitar sniffing.

Fairly extreme cost, especially with Xmas coming up, cancel that holiday and no new strings coming let alone guit........ :mellow:

But we are not driving that silly Toyota Kluger rental anymore - what a weird car, like driving a bed. :mellow:

BluesKing777.

Archived