Gibson Brands Forums

Headstock strap question

PrairieSchooner

Never seen a button on the head stock except for bad handyman attempts. It's a scary place to drill. This is the way to go for attaching to the head above the nut...

http://www.ebay.com/...=item25c637ad82

You just leave the loop on yer' guitar for easy on-off strap attachment. The leather button on the end fits into the strap end. I got one attached to each of my gits.

Check all the sellers. I've seen free ship deals for a couple bucks less.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item25c637ad82

You just leave the loop on yer' guitar for easy on-off strap attachment. The leather button on the end fits into the strap end. I got one attached to each of my gits.

Check all the sellers. I've seen free ship deals for a couple bucks less.

Damn, I have one of those. I won it with a gibson strap a few years back in some draw. Now I want one for my other acoustic, but they are not available here in germany, anyone knows shops in europe selling these? I'm not willing to pay 30 $ for shipping on a 3 buck product.

](*,)

In other words, great product if you want to attach your strap to the headstock!

I have a few Martin straps as you showed.

For my Gibson's I use a generic one as shown below.

After reading your post, I looked in the sewing box and found some Jean Buttons that look almost identical to what's on the strap.

D047FC60-6B1B-4506-8F9B-0D6C5C21B062_zpsyjid4opc.jpg

818350F5-2AB9-43F7-AC78-AAE7EB1D0C15_zpsm4a6duuv.jpg

Thanks Dave F, those just might be the ticket! I will check them out.

Cowboy, using Chicago screws now; looking for quicker. Want to make my own straps as the headstock straps are longer than I need, plus I can make them wider if I like. But I hate to pay the asking prices for something I'm just gonna discard (they want 6-7 bucks apiece for those puppies). Figured if I could get a line on the buttons only it'd save me a few bucks.

Guys, thanks for all the headstock attachment references, but all my gits are already equipped with two strap buttons. I'm good.

PrairieS, I agree - it would be great if we could find a source to purchase those little plastic double sided buttons Martin uses on their guitar headstock straps. I've got 3, and love them. I've just turned the strap around so the Martin logo doesn't appear and the side that shows is a little more like suede. Each of the 3 is a different shade. I spent an hour looking for the buttons and had no luck. I'm guessing they might have been designed for this one single application and Martin isn't about to encourage their supplier to offer them for sale thereby cutting into their own sales. G'Luck.

PrairieS, I agree - it would be great if we could find a source to purchase those little plastic double sided buttons Martin uses on their guitar headstock straps. I've got 3, and love them. I've just turned the strap around so the Martin logo doesn't appear and the side that shows is a little more like suede. Each of the 3 is a different shade. I spent an hour looking for the buttons and had no luck. I'm guessing they might have been designed for this one single application and Martin isn't about to encourage their supplier to offer them for sale thereby cutting into their own sales. G'Luck.

Forty, if'n you find a source please post it here. I'll do the same. Seems like they oughta be out there somewhere!

I have a few Martin straps as you showed.

For my Gibson's I use a generic one as shown below.

After reading your post, I looked in the sewing box and found some Jean Buttons that look almost identical to what's on the strap.

D047FC60-6B1B-4506-8F9B-0D6C5C21B062_zpsyjid4opc.jpg

818350F5-2AB9-43F7-AC78-AAE7EB1D0C15_zpsm4a6duuv.jpg

That's the headstock strap I use on the rare occasions when I decide to play standing up, Dave. Cost under £3.00 including postage and packing here in the land of sterling.

Hope you find a good source of inexpensive buttons PS. Failing that, perhaps you will find a solution involving fish glue... [biggrin]

I went looking for jeans buttons and found what is pictured, but as I want to use these for quick release banjo straps I need something pretty strong, and did not feel that the "tacks" furnished are long enough to go through two layers of the leather straps I want to use and then have enough length to hold the button securely. I think there are jeans buttons available with a screw attachment like Chicago screws; if I can find some of those they may work.

Archived