Gibson Brands Forums

Snarks and Performing

Couldn't agree more - off it goes as soon as the job is done. (like it a lot)

One of the things I enjoy about the acoustic guitar is the pure impression of wood'n'steel.

A box, a stick, 6 small machines with wires and occasionally a purplegreenpink MOP-flash.

YES !

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Took Mrs up to Bah Hahbah for her...50 somethin. Actually to Acadia. So it was her birthday weekend and we were there like 4 days. She had lobstah every meal. I had crab for one meal and I still kick myself for not finishing 4 days with all lobstah.

Galyns for her birthday dinner, just beautiful Maine lobstah and a bottlea Clicquot. If god made anything better he kept it for himself.

rct

yea man bah habbah is quite the place.. did you scoot down the Otter Cliff Trail at all? We've been there a few times, always in the fall, all the tourists are gone, some places close after Columbus day, but plenty stays opened till later in the early winter. We love it up there, even better when it's just you two and the locals.

I just don't like having anything clamped to my headstock - because they tend to be delicate and can snap. Never heard of a case where someone banged a clipped on tuner of capo and as a result snapped the headstock, but I'd hate to have it happen to me.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with what seems like the majority here. If one is playing a 1-4 hour gig, at times it's kind of essential to have a capo or a tuner, if need be, clipped and readily available/accessible. Searching one's pocket or a back table for either just doesn't cut it (nor does the possibility of misplacing one when it's later needed during a music jam or a performance). These things are simple "tools of the trade" to a performance and I believe an audience readily recognizes that. Perhaps even questions if they are not equipped or clipped to be readily available...unless one has a guitar tech to keep supplying a new instrument. Even on a 10-20 minute Open Mic set, nothing wrong with being/looking prepared.

Just my two cents...

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Sorry, but I have to disagree with what seems like the majority here. If one is playing a 1-4 hour gig, at times it's kind of essential to have a capo or a tuner, if need be, clipped and readily available/accessible. Searching one's pocket or a back table for either just doesn't cut it (nor does the possibility of misplacing one when it's later needed during a music jam or a performance)...

In all seriousness of the thread, I agree with you. But then, if there is anything I don't agree with, it is what guitar players think of me playing the guitar. They are the only ones that care about the tuner or capo, the sweetness of your caramel-y upper mids, the fact that your delay is 1 pico second too long. The chix have never rejected me for my tuner or capo. Besides, I don't know where my capo is.

rct

Sorry, but I have to disagree with what seems like the majority here. If one is playing a 1-4 hour gig, at times it's kind of essential to have a capo or a tuner, if need be, clipped and readily available/accessible. Searching one's pocket or a back table for either just doesn't cut it (nor does the possibility of misplacing one when it's later needed during a music jam or a performance). These things are simple "tools of the trade" to a performance and I believe an audience readily recognizes that. Perhaps even questions if they are not equipped or clipped to be readily available...unless one has a guitar tech to keep supplying a new instrument. Even on a 10-20 minute Open Mic set, nothing wrong with being/looking prepared.

Just my two cents...

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Gotta agree. It sure doesn't bother me to see a tuner on a headstock. It does bother me when guitars are out of tune. Not saying that's always the trade-off, but it is the lesser harm, especially at the open mic where the guy decides to do his last song in some open tuning and is just so sure he can "hear" when it's right. It's easier to close my eyes than my ears for 3 or 4 minutes...

My two biggest pet peeves are tuners left on head stocks and music stands or tablets clipped to mic stands on stage.

Very unprofessional and before you guys start posting pictures of professional musicians with music stands

don't bother unless you are in an orchestra it still look very unprofessional.

Check and check. A headstock festooned with a tuner and/or a Kyser is just really off-putting to me. Just looks ugly. And if I see you're using a Kyser, it tells me you're willing to settle for a piece of equipment that is second-best (if that) and don't really care about tuning.

As far as music stands on stage go, yeah, unless you're playing in an orchestra, music stands have no place on stage. LEARN THE DAMN SONGS! That's part of your job. Anything that gets in the sightline between the performer and the audience is a bad thing. That includes iPads, which I see more and more performers using on little stands that clip to the mic stands. They spend their time on stage looking at the iPad or music stand instead of looking at the audience. And when I'm sitting in the audience, I have trouble seeing your face because there's a big honkin' music stand in the way.

The biggest act I've seen using a music stand on stage was Lucinda Williams. Yeah, she's a great songwriter and a big star, but reading her lyrics off a music stand still looked unprofessional.

Just attach them both to the mike stand, instant access, instant solution.

Just my two cents...

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

...LEARN THE DAMN SONGS! That's part of your job.

I hope you remember the juicy deliciousness of these words when you been playing as long as I have, with as many people as I have, in as many bands as I have, and on as many records as I have. It's pretty easy to know the John Devner catalog front to back, but when people do music that spans their lifetimes, and the collective knows literally hundreds of songs, it isn't as easy as you might like to think.

And if you have been and done all of the above as long as I have, you should really be just thankful that you don't need the occasional nudge to your memory for a song you haven't played in 20 years. This is why I don't pay attention to guitar players, if this is what yer thinking about when you "enjoy" the performances of others.

All said in niceness and with an olive branch extended.

rct

Check and check. A headstock festooned with a tuner and/or a Kyser is just really off-putting to me. Just looks ugly. And if I see you're using a Kyser, it tells me you're willing to settle for a piece of equipment that is second-best (if that) and don't really care about tuning.

As far as music stands on stage go, yeah, unless you're playing in an orchestra, music stands have no place on stage. LEARN THE DAMN SONGS! That's part of your job. Anything that gets in the sightline between the performer and the audience is a bad thing. That includes iPads, which I see more and more performers using on little stands that clip to the mic stands. They spend their time on stage looking at the iPad or music stand instead of looking at the audience. And when I'm sitting in the audience, I have trouble seeing your face because there's a big honkin' music stand in the way.

The biggest act I've seen using a music stand on stage was Lucinda Williams. Yeah, she's a great songwriter and a big star, but reading her lyrics off a music stand still looked unprofessional.

That's funny. You know I think you're mostly right about sheet music stands. No worries. However, just food for thought, I don't want to memorize songs anymore. I don't find it a worthwhile use of my time but I am not a practicing musician. I won't perform without sheet music!!! I actually enjoy reading chord charts and having the lyrics in front of me while I play for an audience. I am not saying that it looks good but I have a family to raise, professional responsibilities, and I just don't care how it looks. I make music for myself and my way makes me the most happy. Everybody's different. I don't need to be a pro or look cool. I am happy to be just a guy with a guitar.

I hope you remember the juicy deliciousness of these words when you been playing as long as I have, with as many people as I have, in as many bands as I have, and on as many records as I have. It's pretty easy to know the John Devner catalog front to back, but when people do music that spans their lifetimes, and the collective knows literally hundreds of songs, it isn't as easy as you might like to think.

And if you have been and done all of the above as long as I have, you should really be just thankful that you don't need the occasional nudge to your memory for a song you haven't played in 20 years. This is why I don't pay attention to guitar players, if this is what yer thinking about when you "enjoy" the performances of others.

All said in niceness and with an olive branch extended.

rct

This! 100%...

This! 100%...

FYI, I never saw a professional use sheet music until the late Frank Sinatra had a TV special in the 60s or 70s when suddenly he did and paved the way for other musicians to acceptably do so. Since then, then is no stigma in doing so in terms of professionals. BTW, in a biography of Segovia (the original guitar hero) it revealed that the guitar master actually had every piece of guitar music he played memorized, but he put a music stand with sheet music in front of him whenever he performed solely for the accomplished look it gave to his playing and because audiences came to expect it, even though he never actually used it. Just interesting...

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

I have a about 300 songs I can probably pull out of my arse at any moment, if I do use charts, it's only to jog the memory, I don't usually have to lean too heavily on them.

Well said! When on occasion I use them they are only to jog the memory if needed. Better than not being reminded when needed.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

I love how we can twist a thread.. this one has gotten so far off point it's comical..

anyways...........

...LEARN THE DAMN SONGS! That's part of your job.

you're not serious right???

the definition of JOB,.. would mean reasonable PAY.. where does any one get a gig where the PAY for the entire nights work amounts to anything over the poverty level, c'mon.. get real.

I actually think the JOB is to entertain.. I don't know any one who is not "entertained" or BETTER entertained by a performer who is or is not using some charts.

Perhaps I missed the rules change, cuz I don't think this matters at all.

can we go back to arguing about clip on tuners now?

Are you the administrator? No? Then, I vote for the conversation to proceed where it may. That's what often makes a good discussion...

Just my two cents...

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Ps. BTW, any performing musician knows that a small low paying gig deserves the same performing standards and dedication as a high paying gig. One still has to move one's own equipment for example. A high paid musician has helpers-roadies while a low paid one (except the late Chuck Berry) moves in his own equip to the stage...but it's the same step to accomplish. So, I am not sure, KidBlast, what your point about being low paid musicians is. Being a musician is being a musician regardless. Just worth saying.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Are you the administrator? No? Then, I vote for the conversation to proceed where it may. That's what often makes a good discussion...

Just my two cents...

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Ps. BTW, any performing musician knows that a small low paying gig deserves the same performing standards and dedication as a high paying gig. One still has to move one's own equipment for example. A high paid musician has helpers-roadies while a low paid one (except the late Chuck Berry) moves in his own equip to the stage...but it's the same step to accomplish. So, I am not sure, KidBlast, what your point about being low paid musicians is. Being a musician is being a musician regardless. Just worth saying.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

There's no right or wrong here

I want a tuner on the end of my guitar along with a capo and a lit sparkler then I'll have one

You think it looks stupid , I don't care , I don't like that shirt you're wearing

These things don't matter folks , doesn't look unprofessional, doesn't look anything other than a tuner on the end of a guitar .

Geez louise

'How was the gig last night bob?'

' oh I don't know didn't stay , there was a tuner on the end of his guitar so I left knowing it would be rubbish '

Unbelievable some of the things you read in here

So, I am not sure, KidBlast, what your point about being low paid musicians is. Being a musician is being a musician regardless. Just worth saying.

basically, what I mentioned already:

I don't know any one who is not "entertained" or BETTER entertained by a performer who is or is not using some charts.

I always give 100%, weather I'm getting paid well, or not at all (eg: playing a benefit etC)

There's no right or wrong here

I want a tuner on the end of my guitar along with a capo and a lit sparkler then I'll have one

You think it looks stupid , I don't care , I don't like that shirt you're wearing

These things don't matter folks , doesn't look unprofessional, doesn't look anything other than a tuner on the end of a guitar .

Geez louise

'How was the gig last night bob?'

' oh I don't know didn't stay , there was a tuner on the end of his guitar so I left knowing it would be rubbish '

Unbelievable some of the things you read in here

Well said!

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

So, I am not sure, KidBlast, what your point about being low paid musicians is. Being a musician is being a musician regardless. Just worth saying.

basically, what I mentioned already:

I don't know any one who is not "entertained" or BETTER entertained by a performer who is or is not using some charts.

I always give 100%, weather I'm getting paid well, or not at all (eg: playing a benefit etC)

Also, well said! Thanks for clarifying what you earlier said in this context!

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Archived