Gibson Guitar Board: Gibson Has Serious Quality Control Issues AGAIN ! - Gibson Guitar Board

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gibson Has Serious Quality Control Issues AGAIN !

#61 User is offline   pippy 

• Group: Members
  • LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted Yesterday, 10:53 AM

View Postcharlie brown, on 23 June 2017 - 10:37 AM, said:

..."Neck Dive" on a Les Paul??? Really???...

Yes, CB, but only with that single, featherweight, chambered example I mentioned earlier. The Grovers weren't helping matters.
Actually, come to think of it, my old Epi LP Standard was rather neck-heavy, too. It also had Grovers. I'm not a fan of Grovers. I have them on one guitar but that's my D'Angelico Jazzer and I only ever play that beast seated.

By contrast my current quartet are the most comfortable, well-balanced LPs you could imagine. They hang perfectly. The difference is chalk-and-cheese.

I 'wear' my guitars a bit higher than what seems to be most players' preferred position and I also like the neck angled up quite a bit more than usual, too, so perhaps both those details added to the problem?

Pip.

#62 User is offline   Golden 

• Advanced Member

Posted Yesterday, 11:06 AM

Here a decent link on the original standards. tops etc.

http://www.guitarhq.com/lpsun.html

#63 User is offline   Golden 

• Advanced Member

Posted Yesterday, 11:13 AM

The Grovers weren't helping matters

Same with the SG featherweight and grovers a issue. The neck stap button doesnt help matters either,

#64 User is offline   Megafrog 

• Advanced Member

Posted Yesterday, 12:52 PM

View Postcharlie brown, on 23 June 2017 - 10:37 AM, said:

"Neck Dive" on a Les Paul??? Really??? SG's on occasion (usually with '50's style fat necks),
but I've never experienced "neck dive" on a single or double cut Les Paul. Weight relieved, or
otherwise. Maybe(?) I've just been fortunate, that way??? :-k

In fact, the only SG's I've ever played, that were "neck heavy" were the early 2000's SG Specials,
with the "crescent moon" neck inlays. Those tended to have very "fat" necks, and so were more prone
to neck dive. But, none of my current SG's have any neck dive, at all!

CB

I have some neck heavy SGs, my 2014 SGM, 2015 SG Special and 2016 SG Special HP are neck heavy due to the tuners and on the 2016, where the strap button is. My 2016 SG CM Black is neck heavy due to the Floyd's locking nut but not nearly as heavy as the aforementioned 3.

#65 User is offline   charlie brown 

• Lunatic Fringe

Posted Yesterday, 10:03 PM

Well, I guess I've been luckier, than some, regarding said "neck dive!" I don't have any guitars
that have that problem. :unsure: [biggrin] Then again, I may just ignore guitars that have it,
and not purchase them, automatically? Who knows?

CB

#66 User is offline   Golden 

• Advanced Member

Posted Today, 09:10 AM

Well think about this for perspective I usually just pick up a guitar and if the weight feels heavy I simply put it down. So on the other hand being attracted to light weight the neck dive should have been more witnessed by me. Thats not true. I have seen a few and owned one SG with a neck dive issue a black 99 Standard all stock with vintage light tuners and a ABR. Great playing and sounding but bad neck dive. I didnt know till I put it on and stood up and played it and took my hand off the neck and it almost hit the ground as the strap shoulder sliding is another issue at this point.

That said I dont see a major concern just a point of awareness that may not affect anyone that usually plays sitting down.

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users