Gibson Brands Forums

GUITAR COLLECTING

OldCowboy

I'm not a collector, but I did end up with a 'collection' in the search for what I liked playing during a process of elimination and taste testing. If I had the expendable income I surely would have become one though, based on the joy I get from playing different vintage acoustics. I'm definitely morphing into the 2 guitar guy though, and thinking about focusing on the ones I bond best with. Selling off the underlings is the hard part, but they've held their value and the cash boost would move my game forward. Down the trail there still might be a 40's era slope J45 calling.

I'm not a collector, but I did end up with a 'collection' in the search for what I liked playing during a process of elimination and taste testing. If I had the expendable income I surely would have become one though, based on the joy I get from playing different vintage acoustics. I'm definitely morphing into the 2 guitar guy though, and thinking about focusing on the ones I bond best with. Selling off the underlings is the hard part, but they've held their value and the cash boost would move my game forward. Down the trail there still might be a 40's era slope J45 calling.

Good idea!

The original attraction of the acoustic guitar for me would be the lone wolf troubadour type, blues or other, but we read this and we read that and would like to try some other guitars. A few minutes at a shop or a friend's house or watching someone isn't the same as 'getting in to it' at home over a period of time.

I started trading up earlier this year, but the problem with that is another I wanted came up (used) at a shop that won't trade. And seeing as I have never noticed one for sale anywhere near me..ever...I went to try it and broke my new rules because...it came home with me. [flapper]

But what is the point of having an top of the line boutique and hand made beauty or 3 while keeping the mid range or entry level numbers? Logistics? It is quite hard work selling guitars and very easy to buy! [unsure]

BluesKing777.

It is quite hard work selling guitars and very easy to buy! [unsure]

Hahaha. Wise words there!

But what is the point of having an top of the line boutique and hand made beauty or 3 while keeping the mid range or entry level numbers?

I used to play them all, but now the Guilds are getting all the play. I'm looking to keep a few of my favorite Epiphones, but as you imply, there's little point in keeping the rest. It's "quite hard work" though putting them on the block and shipping them off, and they're typically not worth that much....

Hahaha. Wise words there!

I used to play them all, but now the Guilds are getting all the play. I'm looking to keep a few of my favorite Epiphones, but as you imply, there's little point in keeping the rest. It's "quite hard work" though putting them on the block and shipping them off, and they're typically not worth that much....

They could be worth more as a group in a trade for, or towards, something else you would like to try?

BluesKing777.

Man that guitars cool

My herd too contains an Insp. by 1964 Texan and I am impressed every time you praise yours. Admit mine can't reach those levels at all.

It's a good guitar for the tag and I would recommend it, still it just don't touch even the shadow of the lower bout of the G's or M's.

But a forest-guitar, , , sure.

Btw. carved it new wider spaced buffalo-black-horn-nut and sanded it down. Far too glossy from the plant - had to wear shades to play it before cool.gif

I must admit, the glossy poly lacquer is a bit sharp to my eyes too. Sonically though, it's a knockout. I've played a few others, and whilst all good guitars, they didn't jive with me in the same way that mine does. I love the idea of the buffalo horn nut, little touches like that to personalise a guitar are just the ticket.

We guitar folks have a way of accumulating lots of instruments. Granted, there are exceptions, but most of us appear to enjoy multiple choices. I've come to the conclusion that my main motive is pretty simple: if they make me happy, they stay. If not, they go. Wondering how others on the forum rationalize their multi-guitar addictions....

It's an addiction, it's just GAS. But first you have to admit it. So repeat after me, "My name is Mick (insert own name here) and I'm a guitolic" msp_rolleyes.gif

I just came back from a quick ride on my pushbike and I was contemplating the guitar collecting thread and thinking how....or was that the blood rushing to my head....I have 2 bikes, one 'cruiser bike' with mudguards, light, basket, carrier etc that I got because I thought the Better Half would ride it seeing as we have a bike path about 50 feet from our front door but no, she has never been on it and I guess she never will...., and my other bike which is a basic run of the mill psuedo mountain bike with not one extra thing on it. I customised the mountain bike with another seat because the one that came on it was a torture piece.

Anyway, in the spirit of the thread, I obviously should get another bike...or 2... but it just ain't the same as guitars. I have been riding around daily for many years but really know zip about bikes. I ride the cruiser with the mudguards if it has been raining or to the shop with the light on if the car is at the mechanic (unfortunately, that has been a lot of late) and I ride the other way lighter bike most of the time...but I don't get along thinking I need this bike, or that bike or wow! Look at that one. Not like guitars.

But some people are like I am with bikes only with their attitude to guitars, play it every day for many years and look no further.

No, I am just crackers, mad. [biggrin] ......contemplating the next move :mellow:

BluesKing777.

I just came back from a quick ride on my pushbike and I was contemplating the guitar collecting thread and thinking how....or was that the blood rushing to my head....I have 2 bikes, one 'cruiser bike' with mudguards, light, basket, carrier etc that I got because I thought the Better Half would ride it seeing as we have a bike path about 50 feet from our front door but no, she has never been on it and I guess she never will...., and my other bike which is a basic run of the mill psuedo mountain bike with not one extra thing on it. I customised the mountain bike with another seat because the one that came on it was a torture piece.

Anyway, in the spirit of the thread, I obviously should get another bike...or 2... but it just ain't the same as guitars. I have been riding around daily for many years but really know zip about bikes. I ride the cruiser with the mudguards if it has been raining or to the shop with the light on if the car is at the mechanic (unfortunately, that has been a lot of late) and I ride the other way lighter bike most of the time...but I don't get along thinking I need this bike, or that bike or wow! Look at that one. Not like guitars.

But some people are like I am with bikes only with their attitude to guitars, play it every day for many years and look no further.

No, I am just crackers, mad. [biggrin] ......contemplating the next move :mellow:

BluesKing777.

Lowden L25 Guitar

https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/lowden-l25-guitar/1256434253?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=sms

Here's one BK

Want me to go pick it up and send it out?

Ooh ooh ooh ooh ( monkey noises!). Thanks BBG.

Yep, that would do nicely, how do I get to try it before buying? Well, I suppose if you buy it for me and getting it delivered and ha ha you know I'll pay ya back [smile] [smile] [smile]

Though, they could sound pretty sublime, that model, about as vintage and played in as a lowden could get. Phew. There was one similar here but someone had pulled the bridge off and made a pin bridge. One of the best part of it is no pins, to me!

BluesKing777.

Ooh ooh ooh ooh ( monkey noises!). Thanks BBG.

Yep, that would do nicely, how do I get to try it before buying? Well, I suppose if you buy it for me and getting it delivered and ha ha you know I'll pay ya back [smile] [smile] [smile]

Though, they could sound pretty sublime, that model, about as vintage and played in as a lowden could get. Phew. There was one similar here but someone had pulled the bridge off and made a pin bridge. One of the best part of it is no pins, to me!

BluesKing777.

The guitar I had was made by Sam Irwin , ex lowden guy . One of the original lowden team from way back

He doesn't like George's pinless bridges. Not sure why myself as I'm not an expert , but I have to say they're very handy , but I'd still prefer pins

Something about them doesn't sit well in my head

I'd wager any lowden you pick would be great

I've never played or heard of a dud .... fine tooth combs before they leave the building t seems

I suppose some tool could do something to one and decide to shop it on via eBay. But they seem about a safe a bet as a man could want

Still prefer mcilroys though

I suppose some tool could do something to one and decide to shop it on via eBay.

Ha ha ha, like the 'tool' that had my 1993 Lowden S35 Tasmanian Blackwood/Cedar signed! That model in 1993 was in the premier league and they get it signed! Cost him a penny and nobody wanted to buy it, except moi [mellow]

BluesKing777.

Ha ha ha, like the 'tool' that had my 1993 Lowden S35 Tasmanian Blackwood/Cedar signed! That model in 1993 was in the premier league and they get it signed! Cost him a penny and nobody wanted to buy it, except moi [mellow]

BluesKing777.

Haha

Yeah. Not something I'd get done

Unless I bumped into Neil young or something. But I'd get him to sign the back of it

Still though , the magic marker had no effect on tone did it

Haha

Yeah. Not something I'd get done

Unless I bumped into Neil young or something. But I'd get him to sign the back of it

Still though , the magic marker had no effect on tone did it

No effect on the tone at all, main point of the story!

As a matter of fact, that little Lowden is one of the very best guitars I have ever played, for my fingerpicking, so that means that the chunky neck and spaces would be truly hated by skinny neck lovers.

Thinking about it, it could easily be my sole guitar and to get in trade was special! Have you seen the price of a new top of the line Lowden? Almost double that here in my town!

But then I remember the sickness, ha ha ha hee and go count how many guitars I have ha ha ha ha and pick out...ha ha...this one! [tongue] [tongue] [tongue] And the years of guitar deprivation of only owning what was it, 3 guitars?, all comes back and I get emotional and go play the old archtop...... [mellow] and they are all staying.....

BluesKing777.

But then I remember the sickness, ha ha ha hee and go count how many guitars I have ha ha ha ha and pick out...ha ha...this one! [tongue] [tongue] [tongue] And the years of guitar deprivation of only owning what was it, 3 guitars?, all comes back and I get emotional and go play the old archtop...... [mellow] and they are all staying.....

I recently insured my guitars and had to immediately update the policy twice because I had forgotten guitars. Not a good sign. But I have been doing a bit of purging. Despite the knowledge that some of my worst mistakes have been selling guitars, three have gone bye-bye with the only one addit5ion coming home to roost - that CF-100E. Not a clean break but for me a major victory. I feel cleansed.

I recently insured my guitars and had to immediately update the policy twice because I had forgotten guitars. Not a good sign. But I have been doing a bit of purging. Despite the knowledge that some of my worst mistakes have been selling guitars, three have gone bye-bye with the only one addit5ion coming home to roost - that CF-100E. Not a clean break but for me a major victory. I feel cleansed.

Lock the doors, Zomb...

I traded 3 cheapies to 1 Lowden, but fell apart when the shop that doesn't trade had another used Lowden and I bought it [flapper] . And there is more news coming... :mellow:

BluesKing777 the Weak.

I'm not a collector, just a working musician who is fortunate enough to have a broad-ish pallette of guitars to call upon. I have a strict rotation policy, if a guitar isn't earning its keep it gets moved on in favour of another one. I'm doing less electric work now so kept my Tele and let my Jazzmaster and my spare Marshall go against my '90 Hummingbird, which fills a really nice niche in my collection.

Generally my two Super Jumbos are my live workhorses, my Dove is for studio and writing work, my '67 J45 for studio and theatre/arts centre gigs, my Texan for flyaway gigs, my EL-00 for recording and more bluesy gigs and so on.

I have a VERY choice 12er waiting in the wings for when I have the funds, and I also forsee a Maple parlour such as a Nick Lucas in my future too, then I'll be just about done.

Said no guitarist ever

[thumbup]

[thumbup]

I agree entirely-my Epi IB'64 Texan is one of my favourites of all of the guitars I've owned over the years. I bought it for £200 (previously owned but unplayed) and have had so much pleasure from it as a songwriting guitar and for overseas gigs that I owe it far more than it owes me.

I'm a firm believer that whilst top end guitars are beautiful to own, play and behold, there is plenty of joy to be had under £500.

Agree

I was having a sort out and I'd genuinely forgotten what was in a particular gig bag

Out pops a Cort MR710F-12

I know its in my list under but Id forgotten all about it

Really nice well built player

Dare I say , and this could ne regarded as heresay.......

It plays better than my S200-12

But nowhere near the same sound

I too have multiple guitars because it makes me happy. During the years I was teaching myself to sing I had a J-45. I can't imagine a better guitar to sing with! After a few years I started getting into acoustic guitars. I played classical guitars and never really had a steel string and had never played a guitar that had a professional set up. I joined AGF, found a luthier, and begin learning more about steel string acoustic guitars. After a while I realized that there were so many sounds from so many different guitars and I began buying different guitars to explore what each one had to offer. I got a square shoulder, rosewood dread, a maple jumbo 12 string, a parlor, an 00, a few electrics, and so on. The only rule I had was that each guitar HAD to be comfortable to sing with and be different than anything else. That got me up to 11 guitars. When I was done I had a full pallet of colors to choose from. Now, I will pare it down to what I really like and remove the excess guitars because having a 12 string doesn't mean I'll play it even once a month. Now it's time to sell off the ones I don't play and stock the room with guitars I will love and use.

1501531263[/url]' post='1872350']

I too have multiple guitars because it makes me happy. During the years I was teaching myself to sing I had a J-45. I can't imagine a better guitar to sing with! After a few years I started getting into acoustic guitars. I played classical guitars and never really had a steel string and had never played a guitar that had a professional set up. I joined AGF, found a luthier, and begin learning more about steel string acoustic guitars. After a while I realized that there were so many sounds from so many different guitars and I began buying different guitars to explore what each one had to offer. I got a square shoulder, rosewood dread, a maple jumbo 12 string, a parlor, an 00, a few electrics, and so on. The only rule I had was that each guitar HAD to be comfortable to sing with and be different than anything else. That got me up to 11 guitars. When I was done I had a full pallet of colors to choose from. Now, I will pare it down to what I really like and remove the excess guitars because having a 12 string doesn't mean I'll play it even once a month. Now it's time to sell off the ones I don't play and stock the room with guitars I will love and use.

I'm not allowed to sing.

Ok after reading this I sat down and worked out that over 53 years of playing I've owned 52 guitars !! The ones I have are in my signature and they all get used . My main three acoustics are the J45 , the Martin and the SLG200 Yamaha . My electrics don't get used now but I love them to bits and the GS Mini is there all the time . Would I buy another ? Yes in a heartbeat but I'd never sell what I've already got . Next on the list sometime in the future will be a sunburst J200 rolleyes.gif

Archived