Gibson Brands Forums

Swapping HD28 for a new Hummingbird Standard

MorrisrownSal

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I sold the HD28.locally. I sold it for what I bought it for last year. I bought a new floor model Hummingbird from Chicago Music Exchange with warranty for the same price - $1900. I'll get it this week.

We'll see. It's been harmless from a $ perspective.

I spend a week at the beach starting saturday, and I'll get acquainted with it then. I'll gig with it the following Saturday.

So... whether those agree with my course of action or not... this is what I did. I'll own the result and be honest on whether I feel it was a mistake afterwards. Selling the Vintage was a mistake.

. . . I bought a new floor model Hummingbird from Chicago Music Exchange with warranty for the same price - $1900. I'll get it this week.

I spend a week at the beach starting saturday, and I'll get acquainted with it then. I'll gig with it the following Saturday.

That's great news. At the beach with the new Hummingbird? That sounds like an enjoyable week in the making . Congrats (already awaiting photos of the new Bird )

John Mayer has a song out called in In the Blood. This is the first verse:

How much of my mother has my mother left in me

How much of my love will be insane to some degree

And what about this feeling that I'm never good enough

Will it wash out in the water or is it always in the blood

Sometimes our love can seem a little insane. It sounds perfectly normal to me. Been there, done that. No worries. I hope you love that new guitar.

Gonna gave some fun tonight... Initial paces - perfect setup. Action is not too low so that she loses tone, but low enough to play for hours. I likey.

I have been playing this Jason Isbell song on it - Tupelo. It sounds awesome. Not in the mood to record it, but I think I may want to try playing this Bird at my next gig a week from Saturday. Plus, I'll play it on vacation all week leading up to it.

In a month I'm probably looking at two Martins, Two Gibsons (and an Eastman and a Farida, which is now at my office at work again). Mahogany saturation. What's the right number? I think four. It's just that I like the other two also...

Fk it. Im worth it.

9UVVHgfl.jpg

Oh, come on. I know brown bursts are one of your favorites (from my agf quilt bird search), but the one you've just brought home is one of the most beautiful sunbursts that Gibson does. I'm sure it looks even better in some sunlight (hint, hint).

Enjoy. Looking forward to hearing it.

Not in the mood to record it, but I think I may want to try playing this Bird at my next gig a week from Saturday. Plus, I'll play it on vacation all week leading up to it.

The sight of 1 beautiful Standard-flier.

Wasn't the first more orange.

Well, a great chance to compare with that if it's still in the family.

Look forward to hear this - but please don't play the insanity-song.

May I suggest Mother Natures Son. Good fun to learn'n'sing, , , and a nice escape when things get too real.

Welcome back to the ~ butterfly ball ~

The sight of 1 beautiful Standard-flier.

Wasn't he first more orange.

Well, a great chance to compare with that if it's still in the family.

Look forward to hear this - but please don't play the insanity-song.

May I suggest Mother Natures Son. Good fun to learn'n'sing, , , and a nice escape when things get too real.

Welcome back to the ~ butterfly ball ~

I'll learn that one to the best of my abilities later this week.

Here is a quick Smorgasbord... a few tid bits of a few songs - picking and strumming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVF-Dno5DDg

Here is a quick Smorgasbord... a few tid bits of a few songs - picking and strumming.

Sounds excellent - warm, crisp, rich.

F-picking shimmers and the D to A-something from 1:51 and 5 secs forward shows a lot of wooden soul. Might be worth waiting for this one to loosen up.

Will we see new tuners - and is this factory steel ??

Well, I already like it more than the Martin HD28, which was a fine guitar. I think these suit me more. I don't think it's factory steel. The shop I bought it from (it was a floor demo) appears to have put on Daddario EXPs. They are coated, and I'm not crazy about them. The nickel bronze will make it on soon. Or maybe just plane Masterbilts- I have 80/20s and PBs.

Tuners?

I'm not sure. I still have those creme buttons that I could put on these exiting grover machines, or I can get keystones. I did that before, but I don't remember what I bought. What are drop in replacements?

By the way the first Bird is in Michigan... I gave #2 a D15 and the Bird. #1 got a D15 and an LG2, which he adores.

That guitar sounds great! I've said it before and I say it again, the burst color on the new Standard is my favorite of all the variations. Just perfect! Also, a guitar that sounds like honey, deserves the color of honey. All is right in the world! My sample size is very small, but when I compared a Standard to a Vintage, I favored the former. How does this new one compare to your old Vintage?

Lars

1501662524[/url]' post='1872640']

That guitar sounds great! I've said it before and I say it again, the burst color on the new Standard is my favorite of all the variations. Just perfect! Also, a guitar that sounds like honey, deserves the color of honey. All is right in the world! My sample size is very small, but when I compared a Standard to a Vintage, I favored the former. How does this new one compare to your old Vintage?

Lars

To be truthful, I am going off of memory, and it's hard without them both here. So emotion gets involved: the competing emotions of justifying my actions, versus the emotion of loving that Vintage. The former emotion wants me to say "this new one is just as good or even better!" But I don't think that's true. The Vintage was dry, throaty, surprising volume, lighter, and was a special guitar. This one is nice, and I like it just fine. I'll need to get to know it.

Who knows. Sometimes a love developed over time trumps love at first sight.

To be truthful, I am going off of memory, and it's hard without them both here. So emotion gets involved: the competing emotions of justifying my actions, versus the emotion of loving that Vintage. The former emotion wants me to say "this new one is just as good or even better!" But I don't think that's true. The Vintage was dry, throaty, surprising volume, lighter, and was a special guitar. This one is nice, and I like it just fine. I'll need to get to know it.

Who knows. Sometimes a love developed over time trumps love at first sight.

Been a while since trump and live were in the same sentence 😂

It'll be a string thing and also a few days good thrashing to get it to unchoke

Not that it sounds choked , but if it's been lying around unemployed for a while then it'll free up I'm sure

Sal, I visited CME a week ago Saturday and played both the HB's they had as floor models. Both were exceptional. I'm pretty sure the one you have must have been one of those.....cool....enjoy..... [thumbup]

Well done, Sal. You did what I would have done. Hopefully this Bird's the one. It sounds really sweet and seems to match up well with your playing. It's also a thing of beauty.

I see nothing wrong with buying guitars and later moving the ones you don't bond with. In general the practice is a money loser, but there are definitely worse ways to eradicate money from your bank account. Every swap is educational and I actually think it's money well spent. I have found it pretty difficult to sit down for 30 minutes with a guitar in a shop and decide if it's one that will stay with me forever. Buying and selling has been the only way for me really get honed in. If I haven't seriously bonded with a guitar after having it around for a year or so, I'll start looking around for something else. I currently have 4 guitars I'm really happy with and that seem to cover all the bases. But it took me three times that many acquisitions to get there. And I'm probably not done yet.

Anyway, there's nothing quite like a Hummingbird. Congrats!

Archived