Gibson Brands Forums

Granadillo? Whats Up?

eyerish

I ordered a les paul studio in alpine white becaue it reminds me of an AW Custom I had in 1980. It is supposed to have an Ebony fretboard as it said on ZZOUNDS website. On the Gibson website it says "GRANADILLO"..WHAT? When did it change? How will I tell what I have? Does anyone have the serial number range when it changed?

I want ebony so if its not,it goes back. If this is the case what a bummer and I may refrain from getting back into Gibson.

Anyone have any comments or reviews of the AW Paul Studio with this "granadillo" stuff?

Oh and HI eveyone...I am EYERISH and I am new to this forum....

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome.

Welcome to Gibson post 2009 raid, post 2010 flood, post 2011 raid - stocks of rosewood and ebony are very low due to flood losses, and the fact that the government has kept all the wood it confiscated in the raids and has never returned it, despite the fact no charges have ever been brought in court.

Gibson is coming up with all kinds of alternative woods, as well as laminating fretboards (and bridges for acoustic guitars).

Hello and welcome,

From what I have read Granadillo looks like a very good substitute... I wouldnt worry..

You will get what you get. As long as it sounds, looks and feels good thats all that matters :)

If your not sure what type of fretboard it is you can always post pics of it up here and im sure someone will be able to tell you.

Heres an example of Rosewood an a Baked Maple one. As you can see the grain and colour are quite different.

BMvsRosewood.jpg

Granadillo is a Rosewood Substitute used in musiucal instruments for 100+ years its more commonly used in South America, it is slightly denser than Rosewood but still absorbs moisture as they should...

Just to jump in The Baked Maple boards are ALOT better on the current releases the first runs from last year have a mix of colours

I don't know they just didn't look as good...

My Rosewood (2010)

SAM_0101.jpg

My Baked Maple (Late Sep 2011)

SAM_0100.jpg

Hey all.

The Les Paul is scheduled for delivery on the 17th. We will see what is to see and experience what is to experience.

The photo posts of the baked maple are actually quite nice looking. This Granadillo still unknown to me.

I would still like to know if anyone knows what serial range the Pauls went to other than ebony. On the Alpine White studio Pauls,that is.

I may keep it but then again,I may not. I feel mislead by ZZOUNDS and disappointed by Gibson. I understand Gibson is trying to stay in the game and with Uncle Sam,being the usual ***. Gibson is treading in deep water.

Any info from anyone is always appreciated. I have not had a Paul in nearly 20 years.

I have owned Pauls from the late fifties to the late eighties. I am and have been primarily a Fender man. As you all know though,You only get a Paul from a Paul. Okay You get close with others (My 2004 Ibanez SZ520QM can do it for me) But the Paul has the cache.

I have wanted to get this AW Studio for years,because it reminds me of my most favored Paul(and I have owned and played untold numbers of Pauls,or should I start calling them LESTERS,now). Which was an Alpine White Les Paul Custom I bought in 1980. I know the studio wont be nearly the same,but its still a Paul and close. Just a bit of nostalgia.

I hope it will work out,if not it goes back and I pick up one of my 30 strats or 10 Teles,or some other git I have. Then I will just play until maybe I find a late 70s or early 80s AW Custom and just go with that for my Paul fix.

I may just keep an eye out for an older used AW studio Paul and then??????

Thanks for the replies people,keep them coming. I like data,more info please.

Thanks for the links.

I have done all that already. I am curious to know what it does to a Les Paul. How it feels and sounds. I wanted ebony(traditional thing).

It seems without spending exorbitant sums I get granadillo or obeche or baked maple. Ok,i guess. I have been fender for so long and without A paul for so long that rosewood or maple(non baked) is my norm.

I am just disappointed ,mostly with myself for not geting the model of Paul that is supposed to be here tomorrow,sooner. That I am trying to find a reason to keep it.

I know play it blah blah blah. My problem is I am very anal and quite the child for a guy who will be 55 in a week.

I feel mislead by ZZOUNDS and disappointed by Gibson.

You are only misleading yourself

ZZSounds, Musicians Friend and Et al are just distribution centers for a manufacturer like Gibson.

If you notice that most of the product descriptions on the web sites usually states that the product can change at any time.

They (ZZSounds, MF, GC, etc) have to choose a printed description of an item long before it comes to market (especially if its a printed catalog) and probably do not have an "active" content management group.

ZZSounds Term's of use rider link

Product Descriptions, Pictures, and Prices

zZounds Music and its affiliates attempt to be as accurate as possible.

However, zZounds Music does not warrant that product descriptions, pictures, prices, or other content of this site is accurate, complete, reliable, current, or error-free.

If a product offered by zZounds Music itself is not as described, your sole remedy is to return it in unused condition under the conditions of our return policy.

If you have not already been shipped a product, or if you cannot return your product under the terms of our return policy, then you are not eligible for any remedy.

See you're only cheating yourself

Thanks for the links.

*I have done all that already. I am curious to know what it does to a Les Paul. How it feels and sounds. I wanted ebony(traditional thing).

It seems without spending exorbitant sums I get granadillo or obeche or baked maple. Ok,i guess. I have been fender for so long and without A paul for so long that rosewood or maple(non baked) is my norm.

I am just disappointed ,mostly with myself for not geting the model of Paul that is supposed to be here tomorrow,sooner. That I am trying to find a reason to keep it.

I know play it blah blah blah. My problem is I am very anal and quite the child for a guy who will be 55 in a week.

*That would have been helpful, to know...before I (or we) looked, into it. [tongue][biggrin]

Sounds to me, like you made up your mind, not to like it, already...

Why not play it, for awhile, before you make that decision? :rolleyes:

You might even be pleasantly surprised?! [biggrin]

CB

From all I've read about Granadillo (and I read a lot back when it was first introduced) it sounds an excellent choice for use as a fretboard material. In fact I'd like to see it offered on more models.

P.

Lets see. I said THANKS for the links. I said I FELT mislead,not that I was. I said I am TRYING TO FIND A REASON TO KEEP IT. Not tht I dislike it. I haven't played it yet. I noted that I will figure it out when it comes. Charlie and eraser are angry people.

I also said more than once,I was trying to find out WHEN the change was.

Because people Like Charlie Brown and Eraser Team are so disturbed by new forum members like myself,and I keep getting replies(thanks by the way) but no answer to my question. I will leave the Gibson forum to the super Gods. Charlie and Eraser. See it worked out,you guys get to feel superior by being less then gracious and I learned why I don't like these pretentious forums.

Thanks for the ones who were kind in their responses. The pictures were very interesting as that Baked maple looks good. I may try a studio 50s with humbuckers. The honeyburst with baked maple board looks cool.

Wont bother you folks again,and charlie and eraser if you feel like actually reading what I wrote rather than just dissing me. You would see that your unkind comments were not needed and my actual question was not answered.

If you do not know the answer,why post in my topic? If you want to make a personal review of the topic at hand (granadillo fretboard) then why not do so?

Again thanks to those few others that were decent about this conundrum of mine.

"Angry people???" [confused]:rolleyes: How so? My responses, were covered

with smiles, and other lighthearted emoticon symbols. For someone so quick

to judge us, it would seem you're a bit "too sensitive, maybe? :unsure: All

I was suggesting, was that you "wait and see" how you feel about it, AFTER

you play it, instead of seeming so certain, that because it didn't have the

traditional fingerboard material, you'd need a reason to keep it. Why would

you order it, at all...if you felt like that??? That's all. There is/was

No malice, intended, whatsoever. Still...do what's most comfortable, for you.

CB

Lets see. I said THANKS for the links. I said I FELT mislead,not that I was. I said I am TRYING TO FIND A REASON TO KEEP IT. Not tht I dislike it. I haven't played it yet. I noted that I will figure it out when it comes. Charlie and eraser are angry people.

I also said more than once,I was trying to find out WHEN the change was.

Because people Like Charlie Brown and Eraser Team are so disturbed by new forum members like myself,and I keep getting replies(thanks by the way) but no answer to my question. I will leave the Gibson forum to the super Gods. Charlie and Eraser. See it worked out,you guys get to feel superior by being less then gracious and I learned why I don't like these pretentious forums.

Thanks for the ones who were kind in their responses. The pictures were very interesting as that Baked maple looks good. I may try a studio 50s with humbuckers. The honeyburst with baked maple board looks cool.

Wont bother you folks again,and charlie and eraser if you feel like actually reading what I wrote rather than just dissing me. You would see that your unkind comments were not needed and my actual question was not answered.

If you do not know the answer,why post in my topic? If you want to make a personal review of the topic at hand (granadillo fretboard) then why not do so?

Again thanks to those few others that were decent about this conundrum of mine.

Bud, you need to take a chill pill. CB & Eracer are two of the nicest and calmest folks on these forums [thumbup] nobody's trying to beat you down or insult you. If you want to try to find out when the change was made, e-mail Gibson or call customer service. I haven't been on the boards that long, but it didn't take me long to figure out that 99.999% of the folks on here are very cool and helpful and patient [thumbup] and CB was one of the first to take a newbie {me} under his wing {or guitar strap} and help answer a lot of questions. [thumbup] I have never been made to feel inferior by any of these folks.

TC

The Les Paul is scheduled for delivery on the 17th. We will see what is to see and experience what is to experience.

The photo posts of the baked maple are actually quite nice looking. This Granadillo still unknown to me.

I would still like to know if anyone knows what serial range the Pauls went to other than ebony. On the Alpine White studio Pauls,that is.

I just got a Custom with Ebony fretboard, built in 2011. Chances are that if your LP was built in 2012 it won't have an Ebony board. Where exactly the cross-over took place I'm not certain, because it varied by model; unfortunately Gibson is not likely to give us that information. It will be very obvious, though! Please let us know what the serial number of your guitar is and what the board is made of, so we can build our database.

Well, Thanks, TC [biggrin] ...I think we have a great bunch of folks, here, as well. [thumbup]

The ones that do "ripple the water" more often than not, are usually "Trolls!" So...???

Personally, I've never had much trouble, with anyone here...at least, in recent memory.

My first 6-months here ("pre-Mods"), were a bit "rocky," at times. But, even then, it was

the exception, and not the rule. Those more difficult (if you want to call them that?) folks,

have long since gone. But, we're all human, and can be "moody," now and then. I'm certainly

not above, or beyond, that.

The other thing, is always true, when it comes to e-mail, instant messenger, and forum

speak, or any other "print media," that doesn't allow for facial expression, voice tone,

body language, etc...the reader will project his mood, and prejudices, on what he reads,

and can (too often) misinterpret, what is actually being said, for that reason alone.

It's the main reason I've always used the emoticons, so much...(maybe, too much?)! LOL

And, that's the reason they were "invented," in the first place.

Anyway, I think we do really well, getting along, and sharing information, good times,

as well as our concerns. [thumbup]

CB

Well, Thanks, TC [biggrin] ...I think we have a great bunch of folks, here, as well. [thumbup]

The ones that do "ripple the water" more often than not, are usually "Trolls!" So...???

Personally, I've never had much trouble, with anyone here...at least, in recent memory.

My first 6-months here, were a bit "rocky," at times. But, even then, it was the exception,

and not the rule. Those more difficult (if you want to call them that?) folks, have long

since gone. But, we're all human, and can be "moody," now and then. I'm certainly not above,

or beyond, that.

The other thing, is always true, when it comes to e-mail, instant messenger, and forum

speak, or any other "print media," that doesn't allow for facial expression, voice tone,

body language, etc...the reader will project his mood, and prejudices, on what he reads,

and can (too often) misinterpret, what is actually being said, for that reason alone.

It's the main reason I've always used the emoticons, so much...(maybe, too much?)! LOL

And, that's the reason they were "invented," in the first place.

Anyway, I think we do really well, getting along, and sharing information, good times,

as well as our concerns. [thumbup]

CB

I rolled over 59 last week and in those yrs I have found out that life is to short to take seriously and I could care less about a bunch of bull***t. I saw nothing wrong with any response on this topic today, given by you or anyone else. The gentleman [confused] seemed to be itching for an arguement and I'm glad no one rose to the bait [thumbup] must be some nasty kool-aid floating around [scared] Anyway, I think we should play our Classic Customs with the beautiful Baked Maple fretboards in his honor tonight [thumbup] Rock on CB

TC

Wow I ask a question,state my situation and now I am a troll.

Well first off I am sorry. I said I wasn't coming back,yet I did.

I received some info from both Gibson and ZZounds. I thought I would share. Never mind,I would hate to subject you to the mutterings of a troll. (well except the mutterings to follow,teehee)

I can assure you I am not a troll. I do not live under bridges nor do I require you to answer a riddle to cross one.

Here is a photbucket site of mine with a few pics of a few of my gits. A few of me and even my youngest kid,I think.

http://s664.photobucket.com/albums/vv8/rnormile/

I am blessed with many many guitars. The photobucket account only shows a few at the apartment I have been in for 2 years now. Like many others,this last 3 years has been a difficult one for me. I lost my house 2 and a half years ago,so many of my really expensive guitars and amps are in storage and I keep only a few at the apartment with me.(yes an apartment not a bridge or swamp)

I think I had posted that I have not had a Paul for 20 or more years. I therefore thought coming to the Gibson Paul forum might help...silly me.

I turn 55 next friday(03/23) and this paul was both a shot at nostalgia and a birthday gift. I realize how silly that seems now as who ever heard of a troll having a birthday let alone getting gifts.

Well again I am sorry I bothered you good folks. I didn't chastise anyone but "TC" may think I did. Not my intention I assure you. I was only hoping for some info on a Les Paul from a Les Paul forum..yeah I know,what a nut.

Yes eraser I did say what you quoted with highlights,yet you again left out the "FEEL" part. Thats a very important bit of verbage in helping to comprehend what I said,in total.

Charlie brown having over 11 thousand posts in 4 years,believe me I was hoping for some great info. Thats why I thanked him for the links but needed other info. I guess that means I was being disrespectful.

Shame on me for asking questions or posting my mind.

I will then keep this new info to myself. I wont ask any more questions of you Les Paul types about...Les Pauls. You folks thinking me horrible for wanting to know something about an instrument of which the new ones I know nothing about.

At my age I am still learning something new everyday. I found a couple years ago that asking questions on guitar forums is dodgy at best. I hope I remember it now. I don't want you Paulites thinking me a troll again.

Well have a good one y'all.

Wow I ask a question,state my situation and now I am a troll.

Well first off I am sorry. I said I wasn't coming back,yet I did.

I received some info from both Gibson and ZZounds. I thought I would share. Never mind,I would hate to subject you to the mutterings of a troll. (well except the mutterings to follow,teehee)

I can assure you I am not a troll. I do not live under bridges nor do I require you to answer a riddle to cross one.

Here is a photbucket site of mine with a few pics of a few of my gits. A few of me and even my youngest kid,I think.

http://s664.photobucket.com/albums/vv8/rnormile/

I am blessed with many many guitars. The photobucket account only shows a few at the apartment I have been in for 2 years now. Like many others,this last 3 years has been a difficult one for me. I lost my house 2 and a half years ago,so many of my really expensive guitars and amps are in storage and I keep only a few at the apartment with me.(yes an apartment not a bridge or swamp)

I think I had posted that I have not had a Paul for 20 or more years. I therefore thought coming to the Gibson Paul forum might help...silly me.

I turn 55 next friday(03/23) and this paul was both a shot at nostalgia and a birthday gift. I realize how silly that seems now as who ever heard of a troll having a birthday let alone getting gifts.

Well again I am sorry I bothered you good folks. I didn't chastise anyone but "TC" may think I did. Not my intention I assure you. I was only hoping for some info on a Les Paul from a Les Paul forum..yeah I know,what a nut.

Yes eraser I did say what you quoted with highlights,yet you again left out the "FEEL" part. Thats a very important bit of verbage in helping to comprehend what I said,in total.

Charlie brown having over 11 thousand posts in 4 years,believe me I was hoping for some great info. Thats why I thanked him for the links but needed other info. I guess that means I was being disrespectful.

Shame on me for asking questions or posting my mind.

I will then keep this new info to myself. I wont ask any more questions of you Les Paul types about...Les Pauls. You folks thinking me horrible for wanting to know something about an instrument of which the new ones I know nothing about.

At my age I am still learning something new everyday. I found a couple years ago that asking questions on guitar forums is dodgy at best. I hope I remember it now. I don't want you Paulites thinking me a troll again.

Well have a good one y'all.

If I wasn't laughing so hard, I might be insulted [biggrin] ...I also seem to remember reading a similar story not to long ago [confused] . Sir, Life's to short to get stressed about a piece of wood & wire. when it comes in, play it, if you like it, keep it [thumbup] if not send it back [thumbdn] no harm, no foul. Sincerely, Have a great life. [thumbup]

TC

If I wasn't laughing so hard, I might be insulted [biggrin] ...I also seem to remember reading a similar story not to long ago [confused] . Sir, Life's to short to get stressed about a piece of wood & wire. when it comes in, play it, if you like it, keep it [thumbup] if not send it back [thumbdn] no harm, no foul. Sincerely, Have a great life. [thumbup]

TC

Thats the point TC. I DON"T want you insulted. I just wanted to know things. No worries though. I will lurk,but will refrain from asking questions. Wouldn't want to hurt any feelings.

I agree with the just chill and play. Thats why I wont ask any more questions of you people so as not to get your danders up that a luddite like me would dare to ask a parting of wisdom,LOL.

I will just go my merry way,and again I am glad you are not insulted as I can assure you I did not want to insult you or anyone else.

My crime was curiousity and a thirst for knowledge.

By the way happy birthday to you. 59? I have a few more years to that,heres hoping you double that number at least and enjoy every bit of it.

asta la pickle y'all

Thats the point TC. I DON"T want you insulted. I just wanted to know things. No worries though. I will lurk,but will refrain from asking questions. Wouldn't want to hurt any feelings.

I agree with the just chill and play. Thats why I wont ask any more questions of you people so as not to get your danders up that a luddite like me would dare to ask a parting of wisdom,LOL.

I will just go my merry way,and again I am glad you are not insulted as I can assure you I did not want to insult you or anyone else.

My crime was curiousity and a thirst for knowledge.

By the way happy birthday to you. 59? I have a few more years to that,heres hoping you double that number at least and enjoy every bit of it.

asta la pickle y'all

Thanks for the B-Day wishes sir [thumbup] I hope to keep going for at least a couple mors [biggrin]

TC

Archived