Gibson Brands Forums

Angus young sound

EvoRider

Hello i have tried to get the right angus young sound by trying out just about every amp i can find. I can get close. the closes i have found is a Marshall valvestate 100r. but the one i have has a hum to it. Now my favorite amp i have is a Peavey studio chorus 212 but it dont really have (That sound) i am looking for. I have read that Angus youngs favorite amp is a JTM45 does anybody on here have one and can tell me yes or no weather to buy one. Right now i am mostly playing at home but would someday might play live. And i really wanted to buy the right amp.. There is no way to try one out where i live because nobody around has one.. I guess my question is Should i buy one or not??? My currant guitar is a Epiphone G-400 with stock pickups..

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My currant guitar is a Epiphone G-400 with stock pickups..

Id say thats probably more your issue than the amp (but I could be wrong). Try getting some better pickups first maybe? (or a Gibson :))

Yes, buy one.

Yup........Buy one......Angus actually plays with quite low gain, although it sounds mid/high gain......

Upgrading your Epi PUs will help a great deal as well......You'll NEED some Lederhosen as well........

Lawnmowerman, on 27 June 2012 - 03:02 PM, said:

My currant guitar is a Epiphone G-400 with stock pickups..

Id say thats probably more your issue than the amp (but I could be wrong). Try getting some better pickups first maybe? (or a Gibson :))

+1 on that

I'd say go with better pickups first.

The amp won't make as much of a difference if the initial signal isn't what you're looking for tone wise.

Stock SG Standard pickups(490R/498T)would be the obvious first choice.

Not sure about recording, but when playing live, Angus and Malcolm use Wizard amps.

http://wizardamplification.com/artists.htm

Angus.Mal.ARD.jpg

Maybe buy one.

Angus and Malcome play LOUD. You CAN get the tone from a JTM45, or most marshalls or derivatives (Wizards are based on Marshalls). But, if you aren't able to turn the amp up loud, it won't sound much like it.

Should really stress that for most bar or club situations, you won't be able to play loud enough to satisfy a Marshall the way they use them.

More research is required, such as how loud you will play, the guitar, and possibly what elements you are hearing in "that" sound you want.

It really IS tough to have to "guess" what amp will get the sound you have in your head without being able to play a bunch. Trying to get it on the first try is almost impossible.

Maybe buy one.

Angus and Malcome play LOUD. You CAN get the tone from a JTM45, or most marshalls or derivatives (Wizards are based on Marshalls). But, if you aren't able to turn the amp up loud, it won't sound much like it.

Should really stress that for most bar or club situations, you won't be able to play loud enough to satisfy a Marshall the way they use them.

More research is required, such as how loud you will play, the guitar, and possibly what elements you are hearing in "that" sound you want.

It really IS tough to have to "guess" what amp will get the sound you have in your head without being able to play a bunch. Trying to get it on the first try is almost impossible.

THIS: And, There are many Marshall clones out there.....The circuits are copied all the time.....Why spend huge bucks on the "Latest Marshall Clone" amps

like the 'Wizard' which is way over-priced ??? And, get a Webber Mini Mass attenuator....Upgrade the stock Epi PUs as well...............

There are many affordable "boutique" amp makers out there with fantastic products....Some make good Marshall clones.........

This is the rub for the modern day guitar player. All want the "tone", none even understand the part that volume plays in the weirdness that equals "tone". Angus plays brutally loud by todays standards, normal for a kid from the arena rock 70's like me and other old dewds. You ain't sounding like Angus in yer bedroom EVER, I don't care how many Marshalls you buy. If you do manage to sound like Angus in yer house, it'll only be once.

rct

Hello i have tried to get the right angus young sound by trying out just about every amp i can find. I can get close. the closes i have found is a Marshall valvestate 100r. but the one i have has a hum to it. Now my favorite amp i have is a Peavey studio chorus 212 but it dont really have (That sound) i am looking for. I have read that Angus youngs favorite amp is a JTM45 does anybody on here have one and can tell me yes or no weather to buy one. Right now i am mostly playing at home but would someday might play live. And i really wanted to buy the right amp.. There is no way to try one out where i live because nobody around has one.. I guess my question is Should i buy one or not??? My currant guitar is a Epiphone G-400 with stock pickups..

something you might try is go to a guitar store that sells digitech rp 500 it has many amp models to choose from! thats what i got and has way more than I will ever use and fun to try out different setups! at a fraction of the cost for individual pcs. [thumbup]

+1 on what everyone else is saying. I'd bet that Angus plays through a pretty no-frills rig. I think a good start for you would be to try to find a 50 watt tube amp of some kind. Stay away from solid state or digital modeling stuff if possible. You're going to probably want to go with a head & cab version rather than a combo. A lot of tone comes from the speakers/cab too. Don't forget that. Good luck with your search.

I did a search for "Angus Young Guitar Rig" and found this. Pretty cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtWrArkvrsA

Is ther anyway to use the JTM45 at lower volumes??? What kind of pickus do i need for my guitar. I mostly use my bridge..

You can use it at any volume you want, but it won't SOUND the same.

Lemme explain: the models with a MASTER VOLUME or GAIN knob are for distortion, yes. But the distortion comes from the pre-amp tubes, not the power tubes. The sound of a Marshall at low volumes using the Pre-amp tubes for distortion is a completely different sound than a Marshall cranked at high volumes getting distortion from the power tubes.

Something to consider here, is depending on what qualities you like in that cranked up loud Marshall sound, you might get closer to that sound using a lower powered amp. In a lot of cases, a low powered amp will sound more like a Marshall than the actual 50 watt Marshall does at low volumes.

Is ther anyway to use the JTM45 at lower volumes??? What kind of pickus do i need for my guitar. I mostly use my bridge..

There are Angus Young signature pickups but you will pay alot for the name..

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/gibson-angus-young-signature-humbucker

Either that or go for some standard Gibson pickups.. Maybe some 57s will be right for what your looking for.. Its hard to say as the guitar itself will also make them sound slightly different.

This is the thing. People hear that TONE and think right if i buy an Angus guitar and Marshall that I will then sound like him. We sometimes forget that alot of the tone comes from the players attack on the strings and how they play. So even if you get the exact same kit you still may never sound like him if your playing style is totally different.

What I would do if I were you is work on getting your own tone thats suits your playing style.. And thats what takes time.. theres no quick fix for that.. You just need to try as many different guitars and amps as you can.. One will always jump out at you after a time and say to you YES I AM THE ONE BUY MEEEEEE :) [thumbup] Good luck.. its what most of us are searching for.

Buy an SG Special with the 490/498 pickup combo. Does a great AC/DC sound and they are only $599. [thumbup]

As for amps, any decent tube amp should get you close. JTM45 would be optimal, but do you have the funds (you are gonna spend over 2k with a cab for sure).

Assuming you need something cheaper, try the VHT Special 6 Ultra head. It can get a nice crunch on the rhythm channel (the non-ultra channel) and it has a boost footswitch to bypass the tone stack and for a great classic lead tone. You can always use the "Ultra" channel for some higher gain sounds if you want to. Your best bet will be to swap the 6V6 power tube for an EL34 or KT66 to get that Marshall-like crunch going.

A gibson 57 classic pickup and a Mesa can get you those AC/DC tones all day long,

No, it isn't the sound of a wall of Marshalls in a stadium but a wall of Marshalls in a stadium is not what was used to record the studio versions of their songs.

Ok i will be on the look out for a Classic 57 pickup. Is it possible to find used and if so how would i know it is really a gibson? I have very limited places to try out amps that would be in my price range. so i have decided to save up and buy the Real thing (Marshall JTM45) and next year buy a Real Gibson. Dont get me wrong i love my Epip sg but i really want the real thing. I have a good amp right now but it dont have a real good ac/dc sound what i am useing is a Peavey stereo chorus 212. I like the amp for Heavy metal but not so much for Hard Rock... I have a couple of other amps i plan on selling to help rase money for my Next big buy...[biggrin]

A gibson 57 classic pickup and a Mesa can get you those AC/DC tones all day long,

No, it isn't the sound of a wall of Marshalls in a stadium but a wall of Marshalls in a stadium is not what was used to record the studio versions of their songs.

From folks there when those records were made, yes, he did record them at brutal volumes*. Listen to the records, listen beyond whatever "tone" you might be trying to get. It's not really that overdriven, and what overdrive is there is speaker overdrive from when Celestions were worth something. Two of hundred watt heads, four cabs, two mics each cab, baffled opposing each other. THAT is how you get crunchy, pants flappin Marshall goodness. And evicted.

rct

*no idea how they work in this here modern day digital age with microwave ovens and universal remotes and such like.

Ok i will be on the look out for a Classic 57 pickup. Is it possible to find used and if so how would i know it is really a gibson? I have very limited places to try out amps that would be in my price range. so i have decided to save up and buy the Real thing (Marshall JTM45) and next year buy a Real Gibson. Dont get me wrong i love my Epip sg but i really want the real thing. I have a good amp right now but it dont have a real good ac/dc sound what i am useing is a Peavey stereo chorus 212. I like the amp for Heavy metal but not so much for Hard Rock... I have a couple of other amps i plan on selling to help rase money for my Next big buy...[biggrin]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-57-Classic-Humbucker-Guitar-Pickup-Black-/150845992865?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item231f1f2fa1

Check the "Trading Post" sections of guitar forums such as "MyLesPaul", "SeymourDuncan", etc etc........

Gibby 57 Classics and Classic+ PUs; I've seen them listed around $120.00 to $150.00 a set........

Of course they come and go, gotta check every day, or so.......

It is the standard classic 57 with lesser output that will give you that tone, I have never played through a classic 57 "Plus" but the fact that they are overwound may miss the mark. As many have pointed out AC/DCs sound does not have a ton of gain.

Now we are all assuming you are trying to mimic Angus' tone...Malcolm of course plays a Gretsch and has played the same guitar since the begiinng with the notable exception of the Gretsch Falcon he used on Back in Black.

I am with rct and Twiz: Get a good tube amp first and worry about the guitar second. It works like this:

A killer amp will make any cheep guitar sing and a crappy amp will make a beautiful guitar sound like crap.

If you need something for bedroom levels get a low wattage, no master volume tube amp and crank it. Maybe a Marshall class 5? Otherwise, save up for that big Marshall.

Lose the gain and crank the amp. I can get dead on Angus or Malcolm tone with my Marshall 1959 (no gain). BUT, you don't necessarily need to buy new equipment ... play with those knobs and be patient; it takes some doing.

I agree, but as it was said a lot of clubs just ain't big enough to handle a 50w Marshall, let alone 100w.

in that situation there is one or two solutions, a attenuator, which will let you drive the amp and keep in at a sane volume, but can be a bit detrimental to tube longevity.

OR, use chained boosters (which is what I do) to drive the amp to the gain level you like, and preserve a bit of tube life.

My current set up is my SG into a Zvex SHO, into a Xotics AC boost, into an EHX LPB-1 for leads.

I can go from nice creamy vintage, to gritty AC/DC, to full high gain shred, almost to the point of mimicking a boogie mark V with the turn of a few knobs( mostly gain on the AC) and maintain a respectable club level, and even play it at home with out shattering glass.

also this pedal configuration adds almost no color to the amps natural sound.

My 2 cents.

Archived