Gibson Brands Forums

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Today
  2. Play it hard but take care of it as well. If you don't like the scratches you can buff them out. Macguier's ScratchX is about the best, easiest polish I've used.
  3. Sam Ash is just one of the players. Guitar Center's CEO said only a few days ago they will drastically change their business model, with more emphasis being given to higher-end instruments & gear. This looks like partial downscaling in the physical sector, so GC stores will be closing, at least some of them. Big moves are in the making all across the landscape,..
  4. Tx, glad to hear it. You’ve got a lot of good years left because of your valve replacement. My dad had the full open chest job to replace his valve, but it gave him many good years….God bless!
  5. Praying for you, Daddy! Modern medicine has advanced a long ways in heart care. My dad was 68 when he passed-out working in the front yard. They said he’d had a heart attack. A week later they replaced his aortic valve (which was leaking blood) with a mechanical valve. He was proud of the zipper…lol…. After the surgery he bounced back very quickly and said he hadn’t felt so good in years. The mechanical valve worked perfectly for almost 30 years. My dad died from a stroke, a month short of his 97th birthday. His father died at 64 from the same heart problems in 1956, when they were not yet doing major heart surgery. Hang-in there, my friend——-for yourself, your family and loved ones…….and for all of us on the Gibby forum too——you are a vital part of this forum and greatly appreciated.
  6. I did the same thing. There are some reasonable prices too. But not so much for some of the 335s and 345s.
  7. I too think you are over-sensitive here. Okay, it's a new Gibson and there might some awe involved. But all in all the previous responders sum it up : Play your 45 like an instrument, not an investment object. Welcome & stay tuned
  8. All of this speaks to much of modern music. And television. And the movies. There's a conspicuous absence of original material and original creativity going on. How many Spiderman movies have there been in the past 15 years? How many ways can young musicians re-interpret classic rock music? Did Greg Brady really go out on a date with his TV mom?? 😗
  9. Those are battle scars.....chicks dig them!
  10. Yes, and they did an excellent job of playing that album live. Claypool even took some bass lessons from Geddy, Les can definitely play a bass guitar.
  11. A highly attractive set ^
  12. Yesterday
  13. I just checked their Gibson guitars, and most are marked down and if you chat with them, they'll take off another 20%.
  14. Oh man, ksdaddy. I'll be praying for a quick recovery, and an awesome, active life after it's all done and healed up. They say there's no time in history like right now for somebody to have to endure this sort of procedure. Or maybe they just tell us that so that we won't be so upset and scared. 😐
  15. I had a '51 LG1. Nice guitar but a had a couple things I did not care for. I like the Gibson's 12" radius fret board and it had a 9.75" radius which I am guessing was for smaller hands since it was advertised as a student model. It had that Gibson thump that I like but it had a quick decay which is why some people prefer this ladder bracing.
  16. Thanks guys. I am inclined to leave it as is. The scuffs don’t affect tone or playability so I’ll polish it up as nice as I can. Play it. And try to treat it a little nicer than the past. ( According to the daughter of the previous owner, there were many alcohol-infused campfire singalongs in its past)
  17. A lot of people paying top dollar to have that sort of mojo imparted upon perfectly new guitars, and theirs is intentional. And rather fake. You've got yourself a guitar that you can just relax and enjoy playing. Most vintage guitars that have had scratches touched up still show the damage, but it's less graphic. Here's a video that might give you some ideas if you'd like to try (or have a pro try) to minimize the scratches on your LG: https://www.stewmac.com/video-and-ideas/trade-secrets/mamie-minch-melting-scratches-off-a-vintage-guitar-finish/
  18. Welcome to the club KSD! I am a fully paid up member (well actually it’s all free here in Oz) and have a zip that’s fading over the past 2 years. I had a birth defect that apparently 1 in 100 (yep!) people have where the aortic valve is not right and eventually blood isn’t pumped too well and can flow both ways - I noticed I was getting worn out but it was actually only found when I was in with extreme pneumonia and luckily they did a bunch of tests on everything that could have caused it - most people only find out when something goes wrong with the heart . Open heart surgery 6 weeks later and after a couple of issues (not fun!) requiring further hospitalisation over ensuing months. I have been feeling great for past 18 months and have recently worked a lot on diet and fitness….so, good luck - you’ll be fine, and look forward to a great new version of you
  19. If is a new guitar, the nitro is probably still "curing". I wouldn't try polishing it out for a while.
  20. I don’t have any tattoos, not really into them. I would overthink it and have buyers remorse. But maybe I’ll get a zipper tattoo….
  21. Yep the artery thing as you say. I’m on Eliquis as I went into AF a few months after op…so it’s better safe in my case. Glad to hear it’s going well for you - I have not felt better in many years now the heart is only pumping in one direction!
  22. My first Gibson 50-some-odd years ago was a 1950s LG1. Never knew what year it was built as such things were impossible to figure out back then so the best you could do was to narrow it down to a build period by features. As to the scuffs and such there are a ton of sites out there with all kinds of advice as how to camouflage them. Most say go with Meguires or something made to use on auto bodies. Seems to make sense as Gibson was shooting PPG/Forbes lacquer which is the same stuff the auto builders were using. But as I have never sweated the aesthetics, I have no wisdom to impart. As a sidenote, 1950 is the year the "modern" Gibson Guitar Co. emerged following the expansion of the factory, a re-tooling (doing away with the existing mish-mash of tools, dies and fixtures) and re-organization of the workforce. Their goal was not only to increase production but to lower scrap costs while too many guitars were not passing inspection.
  23. Personally, I'd polish and leave exactly as it is. That's what they're supposed to end up looking like after being well played. 🙂
  24. That's what they're supposed to end up looking like. Unless you plan to sell it soon, play the snot out of it and let it become what it is. 🙂
  25. They were getting killed by online retail stores. Their business model hadn't changed much from the 80's..... Hoping people will walk in and buy high dollar items just don't seem to work anymore. The economy is doing okay..... the good news is wages are growing faster than inflation. The problem is the peak inflation of 9% is still dancing around people's brains. Which is strange because I thought most Americans have amnesia these days.
  1. Load more activity