Gibson Brands Forums

NGD

LarryUK

Well. I've got my LP Classic. The build is fine, but the fret finishing? If that's what a Plek does they can keep it. Lots of scratch marks and bad ends. I can't seem to get my pics on Imgur. How else can I do it?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nyQTMmw.jpgLook at fret 3. Scratches and a dip.

CfoSDed.jpgBetween 15 and 17 the binding edge is scraped and rough.

You can't tell very well on these pics. I'll do the edges myself, but no way has a luthier with a conscience looked at the final finish on this neck. I'll try and get some better pics. I'm just in from work and tired.

If you click on the pics, it zooms. You can see a bit better then.

nyQTMmw.jpgLook at fret 3. Scratches and a dip.

CfoSDed.jpgBetween 15 and 17 the binding edge is scraped and rough.

You can't tell very well on these pics. I'll do the edges myself, but no way has a luthier with a conscience looked at the final finish on this neck. I'll try and get some better pics. I'm just in from work and tired.

If you click on the pics, it zooms. You can see a bit better then.

That doesn’t look good. I would return it, and pick out the replacement guitar in person. Never been a fan of online orders where you can’t play the guitar first

I've just had a good look at it and it's got dips where the binding meets the frets. I thought the plek machine made a perfect job, or are the fret ends done by hand? Or monkey?

If that’s how the machine is doing it, it’s time for a recalibration or something. That looks like shite

I recommend that you don’t try to fix it and return it ASAP but that’s just me. Remember there is clear finish on the binding as well so whatever you do to work on the edges will affect the finish and make it impossible to return

Well. I've got my LP Classic. The build is fine, but the fret finishing? If that's what a Plek does they can keep it. Lots of scratch marks and bad ends. I can't seem to get my pics on Imgur. How else can I do it?

I don't think the PLEK machine has anything to do with the binding. I think it is hand scrapped away by professionals. I believe I saw it on one of the YT Gibson plant tour vids.

Got to agree with Trad Pro, I think Plek's purpose is mainly leveling frets, and nothing to do with fret ends and nibs etc.

Other than these little cosmetic things, how does it play and sound?

The finish and build is fine. I've not even plugged it in yet.

The bindings and nibs are HAND scraped. The guitar is put together with the binding, then painted and then hand scraped. The person that does the work has a razor device that they use to scrape the paint off the binding. When I did the factory tour I watched the person do it and she was amazing , quick and precise. Being human, sometimes the person digs too deep as we see here. That is what you get when they are hand made like this. It's what gives a Gibson it's charm. Like it or leave it but at least it was made with human hands and not a machine.

I enlarged the picture but I don't see the problem with the 3rd fret. Which string is it near, or is it at the end? Looks normal to me. About the binding, as Drog said, they are scraped by hand. I think if you look at any of them close enough you can find some minor cosmetic things that are just the nature of the beast.

We need some pics of the whole thing! msp_thumbup.gif

The Binding has indeed has nothing to do with what a plek machine does. if you want to know, some info here: https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/what-is-plek/ as mentioned with a Gibson, the Binding is all hand done. Compared to Epiphone for example where it's all CNC'd. The end result is you're going more likely to find imperfections in the Gibson Binding work. But know that it took that tech 2 years of training and apprenticing to be qualified to do the job, and probably about 10x or + the time the CNC job took.

I guess if that minor of a detail is a put off, then a USA Gibson probably isn't the best way for some folks to spend their money. But don't blame a plek machine, not what it does.

Oh crap! The word is out already. I thought they would keep this under their hat until at least the fall NAMM show.

"Now under new management, Gibson Guitars will no longer stamp "2" on guitars and sell them at a lower price when they don't pass QC.

New guide lines indicate that all guitars formally sold as factory seconds will now be shipped to Europe and listed as On Sale." [biggrin]

while I can certainly understand wanting things to be perfect, sometimes I think some of the complaints I see & read on here are unrealistic.

No. That is sloppier than average work right on the business end of a brand new, high end guitar. The binding is never perfect on a Gibson but this is below average quality

This should have been a “second”.

No. That is sloppier than average work right on the business end of a brand new, high end guitar. The binding is never perfect on a Gibson but this is below average quality

This should have been a "second".

point taken. msp_thumbup.gif

Btw I was the one who minus’d the OP for not even plugging the guitar in yet.

Seriously to post a thread and pictures and wait days before even plugging the guitar in. This is more of a social media thing than a musicians thing

I like a guy who takes ownership of what he did. Now I am going to apologize in advance (which is almost a GbV song the real title is Apology In Advance) for all the dumb c-rap I'm gonna say.

I like a guy who takes ownership of what he did. Now I am going to apologize in advance (which is almost a GbV song the real title is Apology In Advance) for all the dumb c-rap I'm gonna say.

It doesn’t really take a lot of balls to own up to something on the internet though lol

Archived