Gibson Brands Forums

Problem with Gibson LPJ CS 2013

dienow78

Hello everybody,

I'm new to the world of Gibson guitars and to this forum of course.

Now, I have recently purchased from Thomann Europe a B-STOCK GIBSON LPJ CS 2013.

After unboxing I noticed some problems with the guitar. I am including fotos so you may have a look for yourselves. The guitar came in perfect condition it has no signs of any hits or drops.

First of all the Les Paul logo is not on the headstock like the product page photo. Thomann said it's ok because the photo on their page is old. Since it is a 2013 made model...how many changes has the LPJ model gone through in 60 days time ?

As you can see the back of the headstock is not stamped all the way down and the 2013 date is missing the first 2 digits. Also the Made In Usa lettering looks crooked.

Moving on to the important part, the fretboard. It looks like the neck has snapped and some crack occured on the side of the fretboard. This crack stretches from the 16th to the 20th fret. The top of the neck also looks a bit loose.

Is this a factory defect fretboard ?

Did the previous user snap the neck ?

Since I haven't witnessed a similar Gibson I ask for any advise I can get.

Thanks to all

Gibson-LPJ-2013-CS_01.jpg

1-3_zps7123c1f2.jpg

6-2_zpsf1a29abf.jpg

3_zps624e8c5b.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be very hard to break the fretboard in such a way and NOT crack the neck joint. I think it is fine. Just a poor quality piece of rosewood was selected at the factory, and it "somehow" squeaked by quality control. If it bothers you, have a luthier do a super glue drop-fill of the cavity. After this is done, you won't see it, and you won't feel it either! As for the stampings, they look fairly typical.

It would be very hard to break the fretboard in such a way and NOT crack the neck joint. I think it is fine. Just a poor quality piece of rosewood was selected at the factory, and it "somehow" squeaked by quality control. If it bothers you, have a luthier do a super glue drop-fill of the cavity. After this is done, you won't see it, and you won't feel it either! As for the stampings, they look fairly typical.

Thanks for having a look,

Well the "poor piece of rosewood selected at the factory" doesn't cut it for me. Either you have a proper fretboard or an excuse for it.

The stampings are not fine either. There are digits missing. That's not typical at all. Someone else can have it and sell it later as a missing digits collectable.

Fotos from the new one will shed light to this.

The guitar was made 293rd day of 2012 to begin with.

Also the numbers before "13" below the serial no. are visible, although faintly..

So, being a 2012, the fretboard would be 2-piece, maybe the problem has something to do with it ?

soooo....you bought a B-stock model of Gibsons cheapest LP and you're upset because it's not perfect???

wow

sounds like you got what you paid for.......

Hi there,

You don't need to be sarcastic. I'm not really upset anyways.

If you wish just tell me if you would keep it or exchange it with a new one.

Yes it is the cheapest Gibson for you, it is the best Gibson for me m8.

Thanks.

Guest Farnsbarns

Also the numbers before "13" below the serial no. are visible, although faintly..

So, being a 2012, the fretboard would be 2-piece, maybe the problem has something to do with it ?

Do you really believe that production changes for each new model start in day one of the year?

If you bought it new I'd return it and have them replace it with one with no defects. That is unacceptable in my book. My 2 cents.

It's B grade stock, sold at a discount.

I wouldn't worry about it but only you can judge if the discount was large enough to warrant living with it.

If you got it a good price, keep it; this is no deal breaker in my view - especially since they sold it as "B-stock."

BTW -- What did Thomann tell you made the guitar "B-stock?"

Thomann actually sends me perfect guitars all the time.

The B-stock tag is the same on all guitars. That they might have slight traces of use. It's the first time I get a B-stock and a Gibson at the same time.

I will probably buy a new CS and the VS, they look pretty cool.

Thank you for the info.

A 2 piece ? Like s4it fretboard you mean ?

Day 293 of year 2012 misses my birthday by 2 days exactly.

Maybe it's a sign...to take it back as fast as I can..

Do you really believe that production changes for each new model start in day one of the year?

It's B grade stock, sold at a discount.

I wouldn't worry about it but only you can judge if the discount was large enough to warrant living with it.

I wasn't aware Gibson was putting out B grade guitars. They do that with more expensive models ?

Gibson is not putting out Seconds anymore - according to them. Thomann does resell damaged, returned guitars as "B-stocks". Well...You got what You asked for.

I've only dealt with T'mann once and will never do again...and I wasn't purchasing a "B-stock" product...

Cheers... Bence

I don't know but it is probably a D-stock... :)

Actually Bence commented on what I was getting at. With Thomann "B" stock it could be a return for: blemish, other cosmetic reasons, wasn't wanted, wasn't working or was used and returned inside their 30 day period.

I looks like a layered fingerboard and in that one area a small part of the bottom layer was softer or porous and the rosewood collapsed in a bit. If the guitar played well and I liked the sound/tone I would keep it.

• 1 month later...

Hello everybody,

These are the latest impressions of the new out of the box Gibson LPJ CS 2013.

Some very warm colors right there, the guitar plays and sounds incredible.

The LPJ has one fast neck, that's for sure !!

The neck pickup came this way, I do not know if I have to re adjust it or just leave it like that...

The back of the headstock stamp is clear now and the number is : 131920675 (sorry no photo)

1-3_zps3bba1ef2.jpg

7-1_zps87a7d097.jpg

6-2_zpsf293f613.jpg

5_zps6d24f2c2.jpg

4-1_zps1d4e8772.jpg

I don't think this is a "B-Stock" thing, I purchased mine from a reputable store and it has similar faults and glitches to yours. I think it's just the way it's meant to be man. Half a grand for an instrument that looks like it cost 50 quid to make.

Cosmetically I think the rubbed vintage LPJ is gorgeous, it reminds me of an antique weapon or something built from a pirate ship.

ok so it looks to me that someone didn't use enough 'pore' filler and I see a chunk right at the nut

and the neck does look like another 'layered' deal.

typically I would assume your finger shouldn't be playing the guitar string next to the nut at Low E,

so that shouldn't have any impact on the guitar, that leaves it with you on whether you're comfortable with this guitar and/or worried about resale value in the future.

The fretboard on mine is brittle and dry and there's cracks and dings and little flaws all over it too, much to the point of it being a little painful to play. I think this is an "undead" Les Paul or some kind of zombie version of their higher end models. That, or it was designed to be an ornament.

It looks, feels and plays like an incomplete guitar job and I wouldn't recommend this model to anyone, especially for the price it's going for right now. It simply isn't worth half a grand and it feels like something Stagg would make rather than Gibson USA.

I purchased mine new from a local guitar store, it wasn't ordered from the internet but it still has several of the problems the OP has described.

I've seen people raving about this guitar and saying it's the best Gibson ever and that it feels no different to their gazillion dollar Les Paul and yada yada yada but they're either lying, being over enthusiastic or just got lucky.

Archived