Gibson Brands Forums

Paul Mccartney on the Ronnie Wood Show

JuanCarlosVejar

Thanks, JCV. That was a great watch. It was a pleasure to see the pleasure Ronnie and Paul got out of listening to (and noodling along to) some of their favorite music from their childhood. Paul also told some early Beatles tales I'd not heard before.

While we're on that topic, I'd never heard of the Ronnie Wood show before. I will catch up on some older episodes. It's a very different interview when one musician talks to another.

Om a related note, Elvis Costello's Spectacle is a show in this vein (I think there were two seasons), and might be of interest to anyone who likes the video above.

Red 333

Cool stuff, JC!!! When you think of rock-n-roll, you think Ronnie Wood! Sir Paul is also one really talented musician. Great to see them jammin' together. There's only a few great legends (musicians) left. It's so cool to see them get together and share stories. Enjoyed the video, thanks!

For us teenagers dancing with girls wearing white bobby socks on saturday night, that vid is a fab trip from the beginning of RnR..... ain't no cure for the summertime blues. I've never seen Paul so relaxed, natural, unscripted and just plain having a ball. you done good JC, I watched it again [smile]

You are right as always Parlourman. They both look like old lesbos.

Then again not everyone can drive up the sergeants in the Foreign Legion 1962 waiting for curry-soup look known from your brave trio.

Take cover – incomin'. . . . .

And a continuous fiery Friday your way.

lOVE

You are right as always Parlourman. They both look like old lesbos.

Then again not everyone can drive up the sergeants in the Foreign Legion 1962 waiting for curry-soup look known from your brave trio.

Take cover – incomin'. . . . .

And a continuous fiery Friday your way.

lOVE

I could actually quite fancy a plate of curry soup. Cheers for the suggestion..... [thumbup]

Bah humbug! If Paul still gives himself a steam inhalation to prepare for his concerts it doesn't work any more. His vocal performance at the Olympics was just lamentable. They come across here as two teenagers who can't quite play along to the records yet, not as two great instrumentalists from the two greatest bands of all time. And what was that jam around the half-hour mark? Were they playing the same piece? Take any two of the people who upload their recordings here and you'd get a better jam session. And as for legionnaires in 1962, well they were well known for torturing people. But between PM's trio and this duo, I know which is closer to inflicting torture on the public, and it isn't the amateurs who gig on a Friday night in Luxemburg. Nice to hear them chat, but actually I didn't learn much new - a lot of the stuff that Ronnie Wood finds surprising (Bill Black's bass) is well known to people here from a series of posts. And is it only members of the Beatles and Stones who spend their lives talking in that weird mid-Atlantic accent? Lots of singers sing in it, but to spend your life talking in it? Freaky, man.

Bah humbug! If Paul still gives himself a steam inhalation to prepare for his concerts it doesn't work any more. His vocal performance at the Olympics was just lamentable. They come across here as two teenagers who can't quite play along to the records yet, not as two great instrumentalists from the two greatest bands of all time. And what was that jam around the half-hour mark? Were they playing the same piece? Take any two of the people who upload their recordings here and you'd get a better jam session. And as for legionnaires in 1962, well they were well known for torturing people. But between PM's trio and this duo, I know which is closer to inflicting torture on the public, and it isn't the amateurs who gig on a Friday night in Luxemburg. Nice to hear them chat, but actually I didn't learn much new - a lot of the stuff that Ronnie Wood finds surprising (Bill Black's bass) is well known to people here from a series of posts. And is it only members of the Beatles and Stones who spend their lives talking in that weird mid-Atlantic accent? Lots of singers sing in it, but to spend your life talking in it? Freaky, man.

Two Amen's for you, Sonny Jim.....

Ho ho, I didn't bring up the accents, but I'm so glad you did...

Wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, did ya? [flapper]

It must suck to be Paul. I mean, playing in front of sold out stadiums night

after night, and at 71 years old. His voice obviously has deteriorated but it

hasn't stopped thousands of fans from going to his concerts. Die hard fans are

going to tell him to stop touring but there are so many others that just want to

see him perform, they could care less if he can jam with Ronnie Wood in the basement

to old records.

I think Ronnie's been too busy touring over the years with The Faces and The Stones to keep up with his Rock trivia. :rolleyes:

Two Amen's for you, Sonny Jim.....

Ho ho, I didn't bring up the accents, but I'm so glad you did...

To be precise, you are right, it is transatlantic accents - Ronnie/Keef do London-Memphis with cigarette enhancement, whereas Mick does plain old Mockney-Nashville without the fags. Macca's isn't really Scouse-Memphis is it? He never really sounded proper Liverpool in the first place. Not Lancashire either. Never been able to place it really, even before the American crept in. A bit too posh, really, but he's too rough-edged to be generic posh northern too. Laughed when he mocked the posh BBC presenters, though. At him, not with him. The Beatles and the Stones are so middle class really. The way they patronize Gene Vincent, Little Richard and Chuck Berry. Fair enough they all were/are barking, but it's so bourgeois to say you love them, they were characters, or 'yeah Gene, love the music'. Their covers of Chuck Berry never came close to the originals. Whereas Bill Wyman certainly came close to his record with dodgy behaviour, which is clearly one of the things that they are referring to when they patronize CB, though they don't seem to make the link with Bill. And while Macca did a pretty good Little Richard impression once upon a time, the fact that he never was barking sort of means that he never quite had the edge of LR's original stuff. And none of them ever really got the menace of Bee-Bop-a-Lula or Heartbreak Hotel.

What was new for me here was the revelation that the Blue Caps and Comets have only just been inducted into the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame, and that Chuck Berry was inducted into some poetry thing by Paul Simon. I realize that some American members here have only recently discovered the Blue Caps along with their (second) lead guitarist's Gibson, but I was frankly appalled that two of the defining bands of the rock 'n' roll era have only just been recognized in this way. Cliff Gallup's been dead for a quarter of a century for goodness' sake. The Comets are as much responsible for Rock Around the Clock as Bill Haley. Imagine a Blues Hall of Fame which inducted Freddie King 25 years after Eric Clapton, or Muddy Waters' band 30 years after John Mayall's Bluesbreakers. Truly appalled.

If it comes to pop lyrics that actually can be read as stand-alone poetry, then I probably would induct Paul Simon before Chuck Berry, but in the sort of environment where they take song lyrics seriously as poetry, then Berry should have been in before Simon really.

Interesting too that Macca now credits Billy Preston with writing the piano solo on Get Back. Never really doubted it, but in other bands that might have constituted a writing credit and some royalties. In the Beatles being John Lennon got you credit for songs that Paul McCartney wrote and vice-versa, so they might have pushed the envelope to include BP on this one occasion if they'd really wanted to. Am I the only one who thinks that that solo is one of the best things about that song? Lyrically it's really just another transvestite song to go with Obla-Di, isn't it? Not much more. The guitars (Lennon's solo) and the piano really drive it. I suppose they credited him as a musician, which presumably means he got performing royalties. Easy to say he helped writing it now he's dead, though, eh? Ah the good old days of the record industry, n'est-ce pas?

Wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, did ya? [flapper]

It must suck to be Paul. I mean, playing in front of sold out stadiums night

after night, and at 71 years old. His voice obviously has deteriorated but it

hasn't stopped thousands of fans from going to his concerts. Die hard fans are

going to tell him to stop touring but there are so many others that just want to

see him perform, they could care less if he can jam with Ronnie Wood in the basement

to old records.

I think Ronnie's been too busy touring over the years with The Faces and The Stones to keep up with his Rock trivia. :rolleyes:

Woke up bright and breezy, thanks, despite a full day's journey which makes travelling by Rolling Stones tour bus look like a picnic. Had a productive morning working too. To be honest, I think Ronnie can afford and has more downtime than most of us mere mortals. If he wanted to catch up on rock trivia, he probably could. Hell he could afford to pay somebody to do it for him. He is being paid in this instance to present a programme which tries to introduce its listeners to influences on great rock acts such as his own. He knows his interviewee quite well. I thought he might be a bit more genned up. It is possible to learn a lot more from BBC Radio than from such fluff.

I really don't think it sucks to be Paul McCartney. I love the Beatles as much as any Brit, but personally I'd rather listen to them in their heyday and not recycled now. I was really saddened by the performance at the Olympics. Surely not how he'd like to be remembered.

Interesting too that Macca now credits Billy Preston with writing the piano solo on Get Back. Never really doubted it, but in other bands that might have constituted a writing credit and some royalties.

I'm almost sure ol' pal Preston was hired as a session-cat and got a pay-check for the effort like it usually is in such situations.

Wrote and wrote – technically your are right, but in reality he 'just' played what he had up his sleeve. That's the way it sometimes work and it's a part of the deal.

Royalties for a performance, no matter how significant, wouldn't be the norm.

But yes, it's a major solo – in a blend of generally excellent rockin', , , let's not underestimate the driving snare f.x.

I'm almost sure ol' pal Preston was hired as a session-cat and got a pay-check for the effort like it usually is in such situations.

Wrote and wrote – technically your are right, but in reality he 'just' played what he had up his sleeve. That's the way it sometimes work and it's a part of the deal.

Royalties for a performance, no matter how significant, wouldn't be the norm.

But yes, it's a major solo – in a blend of generally excellent rockin', , , let's not underestimate the driving snare f.x.

Yes, wrote and wrote is an interesting question. I watched that controversial Eagles documentary last week and was really disturbed by the posturing on all sides really. Frankly the Eagles are not my bag - nice tunes, some good lyrics, but they're not the Beatles, whatever they may think. So at one level I couldn't care less about their in-fighting, but egotism generally riles me, and I wasn't very impressed. Anyway, read an Eagles-related site on the subject of Don Felder's contributions, mainly out of interest. People were making claims there effectively implying that Hotel California is all about the lyrics. Apparently if you read them out loud, they work as poetry. Personally I'd like to hear it. Had I more time, I'd set up a thread where the lyrics were read out straight without music, then set to different, equally famous pop melodies/progressions, and where the music was offered as an instrumental, and then with alternative lyrics taken from equally famous songs. Just so that people might judge for themselves what really makes a song. Would be an interesting experiment, I think, and it might be revisited on a lot of other songs.

On the snare - I dare say it is one of Ringo's top moments, but probably gets forgotten against more obvious stuff like The End or Tomorrow Never Knows. Now you've got me listening to the classics again - just to get Ringo's work. I really haven't got time this afternoon, EMin7! Next week's debate, Ringo vs Charlie. There's somebody in the Lounge who thinks Watts is a hopeless drummer - always speeding up. I grew up believing Watts was a king with a jazz background, and with Lennon's words echoing in my ears, that Ringo wasn't even the best drummer in the Beatles. And the drums on Paint It, Black always got me. Well said Lounge-dweller has got me listening to drums, and he has a point. Now you're doing the same. Difficult to be the drummer when Richards is the engine and sets the pace, no? Lennon and McCartney certainly knew how to make room for their cohorts when they were all on speaking terms...

It's sort of nice though that both Charlie Watts and Ringo still look like men. Fair enough, one of them does look dead, the other looks like the reflection of a Spitting Image puppet you might see by gawping into the back of a spoon, but neither really look like old ladies.... has to be bonus points in there.

Archived