Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Standard 2013 Problems 'Resolved'

Gibson For Life

Picked up a 2013 Standard Honey Burst today, and have a couple of concerns...

1. No pickguard supplied... Is this normal?

2. Coil tapping for splitting pickups doesn't seem to work.

(Out of phase & bypass are ok)

3. Volume control only kicks in around 7 up.

I've notified the store, but can't get back there for a couple of days.

All other aspects of the guitar itself 'Looks & feel' are spot on.

I fear having to swap it for another or have to wait for repairs.

Anyone else having any of these problems?

Cheers...

Picked up a 2013 Standard Honey Burst today, and have a couple of concerns...

1. No pickguard supplied... Is this normal?

2. Coil tapping for splitting pickups doesn't seem to work.

(Out of phase & bypass are ok)

3. Volume control only kicks in around 7 up.

I've notified the store, but can't get back there for a couple of days.

All other aspects of the guitar itself 'Looks & feel' are spot on.

I fear having to swap it for another or have to wait for repairs.

Anyone else having any of these problems?

Cheers...

Have heard recently from other forum members that the pickguards are not included, but it's hard to know if the store had something to do with this, or if Gibson is no longer including them.

In one case the buyer pinged Gibson and they did agree to supply a pickguard and the mounting hardware, (I guess it's up to you if you want to drill the holes to mount it..) on nice figured tops, I don't think I'd bother. My 02 standard came with a pg unmounted, it's still in the case!

The other "stuff" you have found with the wiring, don't sound right at all. Should be covered under warranty, but God knows how long Gibson will take to fix it.

If the store will work with you swap out may be your best bet if there's another equal or at least decent one available.

you could contact Customer Service too but that may just rub salt in the wound.

What a Bummer!!! Good luck with this..

/Ray

My 2003 LP came with a pick guard...but it wasn't installed. Player's choice. My LPDC didn't come with a pick guard...but I don't believe they ever did. As for the electronic problems...I'd check with the store...Gibson's have a life time warranty so I've been told. Good luck... I hope it all works out for you.

An interesting turn of events...

This afternoon i plugged the guitar into my 'AMP' and everything is working fine.

Plugged it back into the Computer via GuitarRig, which is where i discovered the problems..

and it's still the same as originally stated.

The PC is high spec, through KRK studio monitors,

The weak link in the chain here is a creative X-Fi soundcard with connection bay.

Could it be some type of earthing problem connecting this way?

It should also be noted that the KRK's are running 'unbalanced' due to the soundcard.

Will be looking into an external DAC such as presonus firestudio i think.

So as it turns out its not actually a problem with the guitar, but the PC based setup.

Regardless of this im curious as to why it would eliminate coiltap & volume control to behave this way.

Anyway... The guitar is good to go and love it even more now :D

Just leaves me with one decision... Pickguard or no pickguard haha!

Cheers...

Guest Farnsbarns

I don't believe the PC setup can stop the coil split from working (I don't think the guitar has tapped coils but rather, split coils), that's done by a physical switch in the guitar. It may have made it sound like the split wasn't working though.

The weak link in the chain here is a creative X-Fi soundcard with connection bay.

That's definitely a weak point, because though a good soundcard, it's not the typical audio interface usually used for guitar recording. In other words: it has no High Z input !!! ... and it has no XLR input, so even a DI Box wouldn't help.

You have two choices:

1. Buy a good audio interface with a good High Z (high impedance around 1 Mega Ohm) instrument input,

2. buy a cheaper audio interface with a good microphone preamp and a good DI Box and use it with the mic XLR input of your new interface.

PS: I myself use a Tascam US 122 Mk II. The High Z input of this interface is crap, but the mic preamps are absolutely great as are the line inputs too. I'm thinking of getting a Radial DI Box in addition to get a pro sound: http://www.thomann.d...ring_pro_di.htm

All Les Paul's should come with a pick guard. Whether fitted or not. I'd bet that Gibson don't pay above a Dollar each for them anyhow.

I often wonder about the Custom shop models that come with the sticker on the pg. Do you take them off or change the pg? I'd personally change the pg and keep the stickered one.

I agree all Les Paul's should come with a pickguard...

This is what the store had to say about it.

"

You’re right that the Gibson website does indeed mention a pickguard for the LP STD 2013, however. I have checked all the cases we have here in the store for Gibson 2013 Standard Lespauls and none of them have pickguards in the cases. We leave all accessories that come with guitars in the hardcases, so it is very unlikely that if it did come with the guitar that it was removed from the case. So this leads me to believe that it is a mistake on the Gibson website. I’ve just attempted to get in contact with the Australian supplier for Gibson to confirm this but wasn’t able to get a hold of them. I will try them again on Monday to get this confirmed.

"

As far as I could tell with the new 2013's is that only the Standard's with AA tops came with pickguards. I believe the Standards with AAA, AAAA, Quilt, Birdseye or Koa don't come with a pickguard so that the high end top isn't blocked by it. Also, if there isn't screw holes for the pickguard then the pickguard was never meant to be...

On another note...let's see some pics!

As far as I could tell with the new 2013's is that only the Standard's with AA tops came with pickguards. I believe the Standards with AAA, AAAA, Quilt, Birdseye or Koa don't come with a pickguard so that the high end top isn't blocked by it. Also, if there isn't screw holes for the pickguard then the pickguard was never meant to be...

On another note...let's see some pics!

Les,

my 2008 Les Paul Classic Antique came with a pick guard in the case but no holes. Maybe their policy has changed though.

Ian.

An interesting turn of events...

This afternoon i plugged the guitar into my 'AMP' and everything is working fine.

Plugged it back into the Computer via GuitarRig, which is where i discovered the problems..

and it's still the same as originally stated.

The PC is high spec, through KRK studio monitors,

Could it be some type of earthing problem connecting this way?

It should also be noted that the KRK's are running 'unbalanced' due to the soundcard.

Will be looking into an external DAC such as presonus firestudio i think.

So as it turns out its not actually a problem with the guitar, but the PC based setup.

Regardless of this im curious as to why it would eliminate coiltap & volume control to behave this way.

Hello!

You might need this: http://www.canford.co.uk/Products/93-549_SHURE-X2U-XLR-TO-USB-ADAPTER-MICROPHONE-PREAMPLIFIER-USB-single-channel-headphone-output-phantom

Using it with an XLR F to M adapter with pins 1 and 3 bridged, makes it unbalanced.

Cheers... Bence

Hello!

You might need this: http://www.canford.co.uk/Products/93-549_SHURE-X2U-XLR-TO-USB-ADAPTER-MICROPHONE-PREAMPLIFIER-USB-single-channel-headphone-output-phantom

Using it with an XLR F to M adapter with pins 1 and 3 bridged, makes it unbalanced.

Cheers... Bence

This looks pretty interesting..

But I'm pretty set on getting a Presonus Firestudio interface.

Thanks for the info & link though Bence.

Thanks guys... & Aymara regarding audio interfaces.

Here she is:

Beautiful. No, you do NOT want a pg on that. I would still try to get one in case I changed my mind later ...

No problems with tuning.

Where did you get this information?

Can't see how it be would specific to only one particular model.

I read that at the review of Premier Guitar

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2012/Sep/Gibson_Les_Paul_Standard_Electric_Guitar_Review.aspx

and at the Gibson Les Paul Standard 2013's page by some commentors.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Standard.aspx

I am asking that because I may force my budget to save some more money to purchase a Standard 2013 next month instead of a Traditional, Tradititional Pro-II or a Signature T.

you're probably referring to Matthew Swift comment that he can't keep it in tune.

there are lots of people complaining about tuning all the time

LP style guitars have always had a G String tuning issue till you get the nut cut properly without binding.

also looks like lots of "wanker" reviews at the end of the article

I am asking that because I may force my budget to save some more money to purchase a Standard 2013 next month instead of a Traditional, Tradititional Pro-II or a Signature T.

The Standard is the big looser here ... in two shops I compared two SigTs with a Traditional and two Standards, one of them a Plus model. Both Standards showed noticably worse craftsmanship than the others.

Conclusion: The Standard is NOT worth the higher price !!!

On the day I picked up this guitar, I had all intentions or grabbing a Traditional, Standard or a Classic Custom.

Hoping for a Gold Top, Desert Burst or Honey Burst, that appealed to me.

The store had no CC's, so I tried out a bunch of Trads & Standards, maybe 12 all up.

The one that spoke to me most, was obviously the 2013 Standard Honey Burst..

I just clicked with this guitar, Feel, Sound & looks were perfect for me.

Same thing happened when I picked up a 2008 Standard, I tried many guitars,

and went home with the one that was most comfortable to me.

People also bag the 2008 Standard, I don't really care...

I love that guitar as well...

Reading a review about anything online, is just someone else's opinion.

The only way you'll find the guitar for you, is playing as many as you can.

No forum comment or review should ever determine or influence what feels right in your hands.

If you're buying over the internet, that's a different story, which I personally couldn't do.

Cheers all..

On the day I picked up this guitar, I had all intentions or grabbing a Traditional, Standard or a Classic Custom.

The store had no CC's, so I tried out a bunch of Trads & Standards, maybe 12 all up.

No forum comment or review should ever determine or influence what feels right in your hands.

If you're buying over the internet, that's a different story, which I personally couldn't do.

Cheers all..

I have a 2008 Standard which I love.. It has the asymmetrical neck which is great for me and im a 60s neck lover... People moan cos its chambered and cos of the locking input switch plate neither of which bother me..

I love EVERTHING about this guitar even though it did take a short while for me to find its sounds.

But they are GREAT and theres not that many about.

IMG_0156_zps16aa4ebf.jpg

People moan cos its chambered ....

It's all a matter of taste and chambering doesn't have to be a downside. Many people have a real problem with the weight of unchambered LPs ... shoulder pain, etc.

Btw, yesterday I saw a video of a Gretsch Pro Jet which sounded fantastic ... and guess what ... it's "heavily" chambered ;-)

Cheers all..

Thanks a lot..:)

I'll buy myself, in person, from Thomann.

I should be patient, and in the store try as much as I can.

Archived